nuclearreactorx

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Hello there, I was wondering if the setup below are compatible with eachother, I myself am not sure. (This is the first PC I have ever planned on building.) I'm a bit worried about the Power Supply, if it is compatible with the Motherboard. If I can have suggestions/advices below, I'd appreciate it alot, if I can also have answers if these parts are compatible all with eachother and if I will be able to run Day Z for example (since it is a very FPS eating game) on.. high / very high.

MOBO: ASUS Maximus V Gene
CPU: i7 2700k
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 660 Ti Phantom
Cooler Master GX Lite - 700W
Chassi/Tower : Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Optional Chassi / Tower : Obsidian Series 800D Full-Tower Case

The chassis, I'm not very sure.. Would like to have your opinions on which one to choose.

nuclearreactorx

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

I would also appreciate if anybody can give me examples of very good cases, that can fit all of these pieces in too.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
All your components are compatible. I would switch out the PSU to another brand like Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling. Do you plan to add in a second graphics card in the future?

nuclearreactorx

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
I plan on maybe switching out the GTX 660TI to a GTX 680 in the future, (not a must, but a possibility) Corsair Power Supply 750W TXV2 Enthusiast Series is a cheap choice, but something I would definately purchase because of the price, and Corsair usually does have some good quality. What about the cases, which one shall I choose? I'm not on a budget.

gelliott

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

If you're primarily using it for gaming there is no real need for an i7, so you could go to the newer generation i5-3570k

Also don't really need 16GB of ram for gaming could drop to 8gb to save a bit and put it elsewhere if desired. The money you save on theses areas could be put into a better power supply ( I like modular ones as they make the inside of the case cleaner).

I'd agree on the power supply, 700w should be enough but I'd tend to go with one of the more reliable brands he listed.

As for the cases those are quite large cases, but if that isn't a problem for you its really just about personal choice in physical looks as either will hold your system just fine.

nuclearreactorx

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

I wanna stay with the 16GB ram, as I said. I am not on a budget, but thanks for the suggestion. I did also manage to find a Corsair Power Supply 750W TXV2 Enthusiast Series for a really good price.

gelliott

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Fair enough! If budget isn't really an issue I'd consider going with the ivy bridge chip i7 (i-3770k) then, just in the sense of having a year newer processor. This being said I really don't know of any games that take advantage if the hyperthreading offered by i7, but is still nice for some other things!

there are tons of great cases out there. Anything ATX should fit your computer without issue, but there is a wide variety of style out there with cases. Personally I like ones with very simple outsides, with lots of space inside, while others like lots of lights and such.

Some of my favorites are:
Most of the upper end Corsair cases, especially obsidian, and graphite series (not a huge Vengance fan, but they are good too). Graphite White edition is what I kinda want at the moment.

Anything made by Fractal Design is awesome and looks great

Zalman cases are a little ugly in my opinion, but good quality and cooling capacity

Cooler Master CM690 II (currently using an older first edition of this), and the Cosmos II, not a huge fan of anything else they do though.

Thermaltake Level 10 looks awesome. V3 Black edition is a solid budget case that I used for the last 2-3 years until the CM690 fell into my lap, but I would not spend more than $40 on the V3 (got mine on clearance at microcenter for $30 before they resurrected it). Other than those 2 I would generally avoid them as they tend to be a bit pricey, and their build quality is so-so.

If you like more unique designs then look into inWin or Lan-Li. InWin is not all that great, but they have some cases that are really neat like the one my wife's system is in which is white with a bunch of purple vector-art flowers on it. Lan-Li has some really cool designs, and good quality... but they are a touch on the pricy side.

Lastly is Antec, which has some good ones like the P and Sonata series.

For a general rule of thumb here are the things you want to look for:
-front panel IO, especially things like eSATA and USB3 can be really useful
-Bottom mount power supply (it can add years of longevity to your power supply's life compared to a top-mount... though if you have good ventilation to begin with it should technically not make a difference)
-tool-less, my wife's PC is a pleasure to work on (on the rare occasion that I need to) because I can do everything without having to go rummaging for the screw driver. Just pop it open and start breaking stuff
-minimum fan size of 120mm. 80mm fans are loud and annoying, even some 120mm fans get on my nerves, but good 120mm fans are pretty quiet, and 140mm fans are even better.
-Cable management: Most cases have this now, but you want plenty of space to hide stuff behind the mobo tray, and cut-outs or rubber to pass your cables through to the front. When you spend money on a high end system you want it to look nice inside, even if you don't have a side panel it will make you smile to see everything all nice inside when you have to work on it or install an upgrade.

for your build:
Consider an Ivy Bridge, clock-per-clock they are a little faster even if their OC potential is hit-or-miss due to the cheap paste under the thermal spreader. Also, things like PCIe3 is controlled by the CPU, so if you are running a Sandy Bridge then you are 'stuck' with PCIe2

Remember to get an aftermarket cooler for OCing. I am using a 212Evo for my system with 2 silent 120mm fans on it and it works great for such a cheap cooler, but there are a bunch of decent coolers on the market if you want something fancier. I really like Zalman CNPS coolers.