Sign in with
Your question

5770 card to HDMI to Panasonic Plasma TV - what adaptor?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2012 12:32:43 AM

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5770 card in a Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core. I am using an HP 2711x computer monitor. I edit video on the Mac Pro and I want to be able to simultaneously see an edited video on the 2711x and a Panasonic VIERA TC-P50GT50 50-Inch 1080p Full HD 3D Plasma TV.

The TV is around 45 ft away from the computer.

Questions:
(1) Will a Category 2 HDMI cable work at that distance?
(2) What kind of adapter do I need to get video/audio to the HDMI cable?

Thank you!
July 27, 2012 12:47:30 AM

your not likely to find an hdmi cable that long, or that the signal strength will be strong enough from the source to reach the tv intact,expensive to find out,
wifi adapter maybe?
m
l
July 27, 2012 1:02:21 AM

lordofdeath242 said:
your not likely to find an hdmi cable that long, or that the signal strength will be strong enough from the source to reach the tv intact,expensive to find out,
wifi adapter maybe?

Here is a 50 ft HDMI cable:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=3622&sku=4...

Does the signal need boosting somehow for that length run?
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2012 10:15:44 AM

HDMI carries both video and audio. Therefore, you do not need an adapter to accomplish your second question. Use HDMI port of HD5770 to connect to HDMI port of Panasonic. If you use HDMI to connct to your HP monitor, change it to DVI. If you also need audio at your HP monitor, you can use sound cable with 3.5 mm jack connectors.
m
l
July 27, 2012 1:49:39 PM

suat said:
HDMI carries both video and audio. Therefore, you do not need an adapter to accomplish your second question. Use HDMI port of HD5770 to connect to HDMI port of Panasonic. If you use HDMI to connct to your HP monitor, change it to DVI. If you also need audio at your HP monitor, you can use sound cable with 3.5 mm jack connectors.

The 5770 card in thw 2010 Mac Pro does not have any HDMI connections. It has two Mini DisplayPort outputs and one dual-link DVI output for a total of three video ports.

It is not clear to me whether I go:
Mini DisplayPort-->converter-->HDMI-->Panasonic
dual-link DVI-->2711x (as now connected)
or
DVI-->active converter-->HDVI-->Panasonic
Mini DisplayPort-->converter-->DVI-->2711x

Which will work?
Will an active DVI-->HDMI converter get audio to the Panasonic?

m
l
July 27, 2012 4:11:01 PM

elbiciclista said:
I have found this adaptor

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&...

which converts DVI and S/PDIF to HDMI.

Is this what I need to get audio to the Panasonic?

Will I lose my audio to the 2711x whenever I use this?

That's probably not the way I would do it.

I would use this adapter to from mini DP to HDMI to your TV:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And then just leave the monitor the way you have always had it.

Just a note, I had to be extremely careful when searching for this adapter because many of them did not pass audio, they only did video. This one specifically states that it does both.

Another note: make sure that your mac can pass audio through its mini DP connection. I believe prior to 2010 some of them did not have that ability.

As far as losing audio to the 2711x when using this, I am not really sure. I have only done this type of thing on a Windows machine, so I have no idea how Macs will handle it. In Windows I choose which one I want to output audio, and it does not like to have two different audio outputs simultaneously. I have no idea if Macs will be different.
m
l
!