Sign in with
Your question

Pc shut off and will not power back on

Last response: in Components
January 28, 2013 9:45:44 PM

I built a new computer yesterday with all brand new hardware and everything seemed to be working fine until today. The pc had been on for a few hours with no problem. I launched skyrim and had to leave the room for about 15 minutes when I returned the pc had shut off and pressing the power button only lit up the LED and started the fans for a half a second and the room smelt of burning. On further inspection and after removing the power supply It was evident that smell was coming from the PSU. I used a paperclip to see if it would power up the fan and it did but only once and the burning smell returned, after turning it off and attempting it again the fan did not even manage a full rotation.

At this point im aware the PSU is dead but what concerns me is the damage it may have done to everything else I have bought. i have inspected the motherboard and cannot see any indications of damage but dont currently have a spare PSU to test the system.

The specs of the PC are:

GTX480
Intel Core i5 3470
Gigabyte GA-B75-D3V Intel B75 Socket 1155 Motherboard
Seagate 500Gb 3.5" Barracuda Hard Drive 7200rpm 16MB Cache
4GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3-12800 (1600)
700W ACE PSUACE700BR, Black with Red 12cm Fan, ATX v2.3, PSU

The PSU was only 3 days old so Im also wondering wether the GPU was asking too much of it?

More about : shut power back

January 28, 2013 10:23:44 PM

Upon further inspection of the motherboard there is what appears to be a very small red stain But im unsure if that means anything or if it was there when first installed
a b ) Power supply
January 28, 2013 10:31:57 PM

Hi :) 

New PSU time...only way to test if any other damage.... you may be lucky...

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
January 28, 2013 10:37:38 PM

Thanks for the reply mate, Will I be able to just use the replacement of the exact same PSU or will I have to upgrade? I guess what im trying to ask is that is it more likely that this happend simply because that particular PSU was bad or is it that the PSu is unsutable for that system?
a b ) Power supply
January 28, 2013 10:46:57 PM

ANY decent make 500w will be fine... NOT the same make ...lol

January 29, 2013 3:21:00 PM

Turns out I didnt really need to worry, Ive just got off the phone with scan having heard bad reviews about there returns and this was the concern about damage to my motherboard but they have said they will replace whatever the PSU has broken and will test the entire system there and then in store so all I really need to do is like you said upgrade the power supply so thanks for the replies and we can consider this question solved :) 
a b ) Power supply
January 29, 2013 4:04:00 PM

broomish0 said:
Sorry to keep bothering you all I just dont want this to happen again lol, Will this count as a good PSU? I have had a look around and Toms hardware seems to reccomend Silverstone among others

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-silverstone-strider...

Personally I would go for OCZ....

!