Netgear WNDR4000 wireless does not work when secured

tjopper

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Hi,

I recently bought a Netgear WNDR4000 router. The wired network is working fine, but the wireless network
is giving me problems I don't understand.

I am using the following equipment to connect to the wireless network:

- Samsung Galaxy S2 mobilefoon (supports N speeds)
- Asus laptop (supports G speeds)

With both devices I want to connect to the 2.4 Ghz (b/g/n) wireless network with the following settings:

- Channel: auto
- Speed: 145 Mps max.
- Security: WPA2-PSK [AES]

- Preamble modus: long
- Fragmentation length: 2346
- CTS/RTS: 2347

Latest firmware has been installed.

Here is what happens:

- When resetting the router to factory settings I can connect with both devices mentioned (security is not enabled)
- When setting the WPA2 security key for the first time, I can connect with both devices.
- When I try to connect with either device for the second time I cannot connect, messages (from mobile phone):

The nework SSID is visible
Trying to connect
Connection broken
Network remembered

And then a loop is present that keeps trying to connect, but almost never succeeds. Maybe once in a hundred attempts.
When a connection is made, it works fine for as long as the connections stays present. After the connection is broken, it all
starts over again. The 5 Ghz network is behaving exactly the same (only tested with my mobile phone, laptop doesn't
support 5Ghz network).

I have lowered the speeds and tried different channels, but behavior stays the same.

Anyone an idee what is going on here?

tjopper

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Update:

With my mobile phone I can connect without any problem to other wireless networks that use WPA2-PSK
security.

When I lower of higher the security settings on my router and reconnect my devices it works the first time
and after that the problem as described reoccures.