Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sunpak 4000af and Canon RebelXT

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 5:51:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Is the Sunpak 4000af flash compatable with the Rebel XT? I just got
the flash unit today but it wont fire when mounted on the camera.

Thanks!
September 24, 2005 5:51:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Mike Hunt wrote:

>Is the Sunpak 4000af flash compatable with the Rebel XT? I just got
>the flash unit today but it wont fire when mounted on the camera.

It won't work in auto mode since it doesn't support E-TTL with the Canon
cameras, just TTL. The Canon digital models have TTL disabled for
flashes because of exposure issues related (I believe) to the reflective
nature of the sensors.

It should fire manually, but then you have to do the math to figure out
the exposure level and/or experiment a bit.

If you just bought it and you want automatic exposure, return it for a
model that supports E-TTL like the Canon EX series, or the Sigma EF 500
series.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 5:54:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:19:32 -0400, Bill <bill@c.a> wrote:

>Mike Hunt wrote:
>
>>Is the Sunpak 4000af flash compatable with the Rebel XT? I just got
>>the flash unit today but it wont fire when mounted on the camera.
>
>It won't work in auto mode since it doesn't support E-TTL with the Canon
>cameras, just TTL. The Canon digital models have TTL disabled for
>flashes because of exposure issues related (I believe) to the reflective
>nature of the sensors.
>
>It should fire manually, but then you have to do the math to figure out
>the exposure level and/or experiment a bit.
>
>If you just bought it and you want automatic exposure, return it for a
>model that supports E-TTL like the Canon EX series, or the Sigma EF 500
>series.


Thanks for the info. I tried to order a 420EX from an online retailer.
After waiting 8 days I had to call them only to find out that it
wasn't in stock. That sure wasn't the case when I placed the order. So
I ordered the sunpak. So now i'll return it and order an ex from some
other retailer. Who would you suggest? I wont be ordering from
expresscamera.com.

Thanks again
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 5:54:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Mike Hunt" <thegatekeeper@africamail.com> wrote in message
news:njlaj1tdrtkmittikud3vlmjmvc7j87a43@4ax.com...

>
>
> Thanks for the info. I tried to order a 420EX from an online retailer.
> After waiting 8 days I had to call them only to find out that it
> wasn't in stock. That sure wasn't the case when I placed the order. So
> I ordered the sunpak. So now i'll return it and order an ex from some
> other retailer. Who would you suggest? I wont be ordering from
> expresscamera.com.
>
> Thanks again

B&H has one of the best reputations of any online retailer out there, as
does Adorama and KEH. But B&H may have the lowest prices of the three.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home
But you might wait until the 430EX hits the market, it has more controls
than the 420EX, plus it adjusts for the 1.6x crop of the RebelXT. OTOH,
it's $120 more than the 420...might as well go for a 550EX.
By the way, expresscamera.com is on most people's "to be avoided" list.
Check out resellerratings.com for more info...
--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
September 25, 2005 12:09:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Mike Hunt wrote:

>Thanks for the info. I tried to order a 420EX from an online retailer.
>After waiting 8 days I had to call them only to find out that it
>wasn't in stock. That sure wasn't the case when I placed the order. So
>I ordered the sunpak. So now i'll return it and order an ex from some
>other retailer. Who would you suggest? I wont be ordering from
>expresscamera.com.

Another person suggested B&H and I've heard nothing but praise about
their service, but I've never ordered from them because I live in Canada
and it's usually not cost effective to order from US sites.
!