Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Case/Motherboard minor incompatibility issue

Last response: in Components
January 29, 2013 12:32:00 AM

Hello,
I'm helping a friend with her first build, and we've run into a minor compatibility issue.

The motherboard we've selected is a Gigabyte
GA-H77-DS3H (We have no interest in the z77 chipset, so please refrain from crowing about its glorious merits. We will not be overclocking, therefore it is completely unnecessary.)

The product description says it has an onboard usb 3.0 header, but the case we've selected, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0059208KQ/?tag=pcpapi-20 Raidmax
Smilodon Extreme ATX-612WEB does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.

Is there an internal converter we can purchase to utilize the 2.0 ports? She doesn't have any devices that require 3.0, and doesn't foresee needing any in the near future.

We really don't want to leave the front 2.0 ports dead, as they're incredibly convenient, but we'd like to find something that will convert the 3.0 connectors on the mobo to something the 2.0 ports can use.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2013 12:43:49 AM

the motherboard should have usb 2.0 headers on the bottom of the board
January 29, 2013 12:45:28 AM

dudewitbow said:
the motherboard should have usb 2.0 headers on the bottom of the board

Oh! Awesome! I didn't even see anything about that on the product description. Good to know, and thanks for the quick response. :D 
Score
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2013 12:48:22 AM

wingedwonder said:
Oh! Awesome! I didn't even see anything about that on the product description. Good to know, and thanks for the quick response. :D 

its usually not advertised as its pretty much standard for Mobo companies probably at this point to at least include one.
Score
January 29, 2013 12:54:22 AM

scout_03 said:
there is 2 usb 2.0 connector on the board read motherboard user manual page 28 and you could buy a adaptor from them check optional item on page 6 http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_g...

We haven't yet purchased the mobo, so I don't have the manual. Built the list on pcpartpicker so far, and that's about it. Thank you though.
Score
January 29, 2013 12:54:26 AM

Best answer selected by wingedwonder.
Score
a b ) Power supply
a c 151 V Motherboard
January 29, 2013 12:57:21 AM

click the link this is the motherboard manual and card specs with driver .
Score
!