Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PSU making Clicking / Chirping noises.

Last response: in Components
January 29, 2013 1:52:13 AM

Hello,

I recently built a new gaming PC and it's been running fine for about a month now. Recently it started making a strange clicking or chirping noise coming from the PSU. It sounds almost like someone is clipping their nails as weird as it is to compare it to that. I went online and read a few posts on forums where people posted similar issues. One post someone said it could be an inductor issue when it's not storing energy properly. I've been running the computer fine with no issues on performance as far as I can tell it just makes this clicking / chirping noise.

Anyway, I figured I would post about my issue and see what people thought about my particular PSU issue. So far I've checked to see if any fans or wires had anything rubbing up against them and none of that is occurring. My monitor and PSU share the same type of power wire and I was wondering if that may cause an issue because of different formats or something. I did check the model numbering and they are the same 3 pin hook up so far. My mother board has an optional switch on its board called a GPU boost which I enabled recently but it didn't start making the sound until a week or so after I turned it on. I also tried turning it off and restarted the computer and it made no difference. I checked my bios and everything seems to be running fine, Core temp is 30 c, mobo is 24 c, and everything in the bios is set to auto for the most part when it comes to detecting voltage and speeds. Finally, I recently moved my computer back to college from my house. I made sure to store it well for the ride, where I cushioned it and stored it on its side with the components lying down on their side so that gravity will place the force on them staying in the mother boards PCI slots (hopefully, this is a good way to store a computer for transportation.) I didn't hit any major bumps other than what an average car experiences on a highway.

With that said does anyone have any ideas on if the issue is different from a faulty inductor as mentioned earlier and what I can or should do? Do PSU's sometimes just fail like that? Should I be running my computer? Is it at risk of a PSU critical failure that might cause harm to my PC?

Hardware:

PSU: Corsair TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank you
January 29, 2013 1:59:44 AM

I had a PSU in my first gaming rig where the bearing in the fan got slightly dislodged or something, and every time I started it up it would sound like a coffee grinder until I kicked it.
m
l
January 29, 2013 1:44:03 PM

I don't think that will be worth it. It's still under warranty so I might just RMA it.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 29, 2013 1:51:11 PM

The sound will be coming from one of two sources (it could be both...)

1 - the fan. To test, power down the computer, put a screw driver or other object to block the fan from moving, and turn on the computer. If no sound - then remove the screwdriver and if the sound starts - it is verified. You can RMA it under warranty - or you can pickup a new fan and replace it (if you can do it - if not, replace the PSU).

2 - capacitors within the power supply can create these sounds. Unless you are comfortable in replacing capacitors - replace the power supply and/or RMA it under warranty. If the fan isn't making the noise - the capacitors are.
January 29, 2013 7:10:57 PM

ronintexas said:
The sound will be coming from one of two sources (it could be both...)

1 - the fan. To test, power down the computer, put a screw driver or other object to block the fan from moving, and turn on the computer. If no sound - then remove the screwdriver and if the sound starts - it is verified. You can RMA it under warranty - or you can pickup a new fan and replace it (if you can do it - if not, replace the PSU).

2 - capacitors within the power supply can create these sounds. Unless you are comfortable in replacing capacitors - replace the power supply and/or RMA it under warranty. If the fan isn't making the noise - the capacitors are.

It isn't the fan because the newer Corsair PSU fans don't turn on unless the system is being tasked.

I think it might be the capacitor because I've read on a few other forum posts about how that is the most likely the issue. I'm wondering why the capacitor would just start acting up a month after I bought the computer?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 29, 2013 7:23:59 PM

With any components you use to build a product, no matter how reliable suppliers are, and regardless of your reputation, there will be a lemon in the bunch. It isn't reflective of Corsair or their suppliers. Even with the best quality control, it didn't act up during testing, and it worked fine for you for about a month.

I recommend Corsair PSU's - they are a great product. You just happened to get a lemon. They should RMA the product for you if it is under warranty.

I have 4 computers at home, and manage 5 at the office. I always have a spare PSU for situations like this. Some have lasted over 10 years, others die during the warranty period...that is why they offer a warranty - to cover the manufacturing defects and keep their name in tact.
m
l
January 29, 2013 10:56:45 PM

Yea, I guess so. It's just unfortunate when these things happen haha. Well time to go RMA this PSU with Corsair.

Thanks RoninTexas
m
l
January 29, 2013 10:56:57 PM

Best answer selected by Fruhstuck.
m
l
January 29, 2013 11:13:50 PM

It's more than likely a HX650W power supply. I just read everywhere about how it chirps and has a clicking noise. Just had to cancel my order on newegg after reading the horrible reviews.
m
l
!