Having tons of Issues

lilhippo9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Ok my PC stopped working a week ago it would not power on. I think it’s because some a whole electrician shut down all electricity in my home. But before he did i turned off my computer completely. But after he was done my pc would not boot. God i hopped it wasn't a power surge or some sort. So i figured it was the power supply, it must be dead. So i go ahead and purchase a new PSU and bam, still the pc will not boot. So i figured it’s the mother board maybe it was dead. Bought a new motherboard and the PC won't turn on. It’s as if no power is coming from the power cable to the PSU. I connected everything. I switched rams and tired them individually. I went through the entire checklist on tom's hardware but it is no use. Nothing seems to be working. I've built 3 computers so far and i have never had this type of issue.

If anyone has a solution for me i would really appreciate it.

specs:

AMD phenom II quad core

antec bp550 plus 550w

GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2

A whole electrician eh? You sure it was not half of one?

Anywho, on a more serious note:
Surges can do a great many things to a PC. Turning a PC off does not protect it from a surge. Next time your power is out then flip the switch on the back of the PSU, or simply unplug it entirely if you want to be sure not to get hit by a surge when the power kicks back on.

All that said, the only way you know it is really dead is to bread board your system, and see what happens.
-Disconnect everything, and reset the CMOS using the jumper (being sure to put the jumper back where it belongs)
-connect the CPU, mobo, PSU, and one stick of ram, and see if it powers on if you bridge the on posts with a screw driver. If it does nothing, then try a different stick of ram and repeat.
-connect accessory cables like front panel connectors, USB headers, etc. See if it turns on with the front power button
-Connect the GPU, and check power
-connect add-in cards one at a time, and trying to power the system after installing each one
-connect the other RAM dimms, and power on
-Lastly, connect the HDDs and optical drives, and see if it powers on.

In my expierence, if you are getting absolutely nothing out of the system it is normally the PSU, mobo, or power switch. Test the PSU with a power supply tester (~$5), and the button with a volt meter when pressed. If it is nither of those then you are looking at a new mobo, and possibly a new CPU and ram to go with it.

Good point! make sure the outlet works! I have had plenty of people where all that was wrong was that the lightswitch that an outlet is attached to is turned off, or a breaker needed to be reset!

lilhippo9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

You could be right but all the other stuff i have pluged into the surge protector work fine. i unplugged all other items and tired each socket and connected it to the PC to see if that would work and still no power.

I don't have a breadboard, although i'm sure that would work. i have no clue what you mean by placing a screwdriver to CMOS i don't want to damage anything further. :( jesus i have school work to do soon and i need this thing working.

you don't need an actuial breadboard to do breadboarding.

A breadboard is just an open circuit board that you plug parts into... a literal breadboard would not help you at all here. What you want to do is breadboarding (verb, not noun) where you start with a minimum of parts, and add parts one at a time until you find the problem.

DON'T PUT A SCREWDRIVER TO YOUR CMOS!!!!!! READ!!!!!!
Clear your CMOS (move a little jumper, you can find whihc one in your manuel!)
Then lightly touch a screwdriver where you would normally plug your power switch to. It is the same thing as pressing the power button on the front of your computer, and is a completely normal way to turn on a computer when you have not plugged in a power button yet.