Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PSU Extension cable question

Last response: in Components
January 29, 2013 2:47:35 AM

Hey guys, I'm building a computer piece by piece and I have a question about my PSU.

Ok first, I purchased an OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W and I plan on using it in a CM HAF 922, but my problem is that the cords are too short. I see that I can buy extension cords for it but I'm a little bit cautious about it. I plan on using this rig for gaming primarily and I heard that ATX extention cables can limit the power making it more likely to fail. I have no idea whats what, that's why I'm here.

Not sure if these are relevant, but here are some of the specs I'm going with.

i7-3770k
ASRock Extreme4 ATX
MSI GTX 670 PE
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
CM HAF 922

I currently only have the HAF 922 and the PSU.

I'm looking at these extension cables.

ATX 20-24 extension
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6-pin PCI-E Extension

4+4 CPU Extension

What do you guys think? Would this work? Or would I be better off trading in for a different PSU? (I really would prefer the latter if possible, but I'd also like my machine to last). All advice is appreciated. Thanks guys.
January 29, 2013 3:28:18 AM

Bump.

Nobody wants to help a newbie out?
Score

Best solution

a c 243 ) Power supply
January 29, 2013 10:37:46 AM

Bumping isn't tolerated well here

The extensions add a point of electrical resistance , it's not enough to be worried about, unless you're looking for world record overclocks and need every little bit of stability the psu can muster.
Then again, if that was you , you probably would have known to buy a higher quality psu to begin with
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 29, 2013 11:22:05 AM

the extension cable will work fine
Score
January 29, 2013 12:17:13 PM

delluser1 said:

The extensions add a point of electrical resistance , it's not enough to be worried about, unless you're looking for world record overclocks and need every little bit of stability the psu can muster.
Then again, if that was you , you probably would have known to buy a higher quality psu to begin with

Well I do plan on overclocking a bit, but not much. This PSU is just gonna be a filler until I can get a better one. I already had this one in a different computer and it's served me well so far.

About the bumping.....well now I know I guess. Thanks.

Score
a c 283 ) Power supply
January 29, 2013 1:13:08 PM

delluser1 said:

LOL - was thinkin the same
Score
January 29, 2013 1:26:00 PM

Best answer selected by Spartacus394.
Score
!