Wonder if this set up will work

NG88

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
:hello: , it's my first time on the forums. I came here to ask some pros about my future buys and if they will work out well together. Thanks for taking your time to read this and help me out, I don't know much about computers.

My current computer consists of..
CPU: Intel Core2 6600@2.40GHz it says 3.60GHz under it in my system info though.
RAM: Patriot 4gb 4x1 DDR2
Mobo: EVGA nForce 780i SLI Motherboard
HDD: Caviar Black 7200 64mb cache 1TB
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 v2 SC 1GB GDDR5
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

The computer used to belong to a friend but I bought it off him about 2 years ago. It had a GeForce 8800GT but it ended up dying. Along with the PSU it had in it. Now I have some random 500w PSU and wondering if I'll need to upgrade which I'm assuming I will have to.

Here's the stuff I plan on buying as upgrades, I do intend to keep my HDD and GPU from the last build in it seeing they are new. I also plan on using the same case.

CPU: AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106009

Mobo: ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131754

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 v2 SC 1GB GDDR5
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GTX-GDDR5-Graphics-Card/dp/B0079BZMGA

HDD: Caviar Black 7200 64mb cache 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

Case: Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL091312&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL091312-_-EMC-091312-T-_-ComputerCases-_-11129021-L08D

I'm also wondering if the mobo will fit in the case given the dimensions but I swear this case looks huge. Also a part of me wants to get an EVGA mobo but the only one in my price range is a EVGA Z68 SLI Micro(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188096). I've seen some mixed reviews on it, would this work well with the CPU I picked? Is it even worth it when comparing to the ASUS I picked?

Also I should mention that I'm not looking to spend more than the prices on the items I plan on buying, unless it's a significant difference and the price is maybe $10-$15 more. But I would REALLY rather not spend more than what's already there.

Thanks again!

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Are you buying another 460 or you are just using the old one? If you are going to spend $250 on a cpu/mobo I'd go with intel. That evga board you linked is for intel not amd processors.

EVGA Z68 SLI Micro $110 20MIR

Intel Core i3-2120 $125

You'll get better performance out of intel for the same price. There is the ATX size evga z68 mobo as well but it doesn't have the 20 mail in rebate. Don't forget an optical drive unless you have windows on a flash drive. What is your psu? A random 500W doesn't sound good!

NG88

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Hey Crewton, thanks for taking the time to respond.

I am not going to be buying a second, I'll just be using the one I have now. Also is the EVGA and Intel set up better than what I originally linked? I see people constantly recommending a duel-core Intel that you linked over many many quad-cores from AMD. Why is this?

Also I forgot to mention that I'll be carrying over my LG drive.

The problem with my PSU is that I was in a rush to get my computer working for GW2 lol so I went to a place that works on PCs and they put this basic looking PSU in my computer.

Lately I've been having issues with my computer on start up. Its been hanging and going non responsive when loading programs on start up and sometimes doesnt respond for a good 3min. I'm assuming it's coming from a lack of power from this random PSU but I believe it can also be that my mobo is finally reaching its end. I was an idiot for awhile and was one of those guys that left his comp on 24/7 with music/programs running so that took a huge toll on my comp. I had to replace my last PSU and GPU because of this :(

So would you recommend the z68 and i3 over the ASUS and AMD processor I linked? I really do love EVGA and everyone I know has always had nothing but good things to say about them. But I hear ASUS is much much better so would it be better to get an ASUS that supports the i3 you linked me?

Once again thanks for your time I really appreciate it and sorry for all the questions

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Intel really leaped ahead of AMD with sandy bridge. A dual core intel will out perform quad/hexa core amd on gaming even though the i3 isn't overclockable.

As for mobos you can't go wrong with a lot of them. Gigabyte, Asus, Asrock, MSI, EVGA are all making quality boards. If you are going for quality and cheap I'd go with ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 $90. It's a great mobo with PCIe 3.0 and USB 3.0. Plus it looks sweet.

NG88

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks again forking the time out to help me. I really appriciate the help.

Looks like I'll definitely be going with the Intel, I'm not looking to overclock anything because I really don't know what I'm doing and I'll be using this computer mainly for playing GW2, running music, frapsing, and the Internet.

Would you say that the ASRock is better than the EVGA I linked? Do they have good customer service in case something goes wrong? I'm also wiling to spend up to $130 on a mobo or one thats maybe $150 with a rebate. Though I must admit that price for the ASRock is hard to pass up.

Also what do you think the appropriate wattage for a new PSU would be for this set up?

Thanks again for the quick replies!

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I don't know about Asrocks customer service. It's hard to beat EVGA on customer service though. I don't think I've ever had an easier time with any other company.

Honestly, the Asrock is your best choice. It's a great mobo and i haven't heard anything bad about it. If I were to choose for myself that would be the one I'd get.

As for PSU I'd find one around 500W. The 460 doesn't pull very many amps off the 12V line ~14A so you shouldn't have any problems.

NG88

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Hey sorry for the last response been really busy. Thanks again for the response.

I was going to get the ASRock but I just got some extra cash in my budget and I really want to get an ASUS because I've read a lot of mixed reviews about ASRock and their cust service. But that's not the only reason I've choose to go with ASUS.

I found this which is a really good price in my opinion.
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
I've heard lots of good things about the z77 chipset for gaming. BUT what I haven't been able to figure out is do I go with Sandy on this mobo or get Ivy? Wasn't able to find out which it supports.

Thanks again, I hope you don't think I'm ignoring your advice!

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
It's still a sandy bridge motherboard. It doesn't bother me either way :p Just as long as you are happy. I will say that Asrock is to Asus as Toyota is to Lexus. Asrock is Asus. They use Asrock to compete with foxconn over the lower price market. In any event, go with your choice. I'd hate for you to make a purchase and then regret it later!

TRENDING THREADS