mark

"moif" <moif@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote in message
news:3osvfhF7ereaU1@individual.net...
> Is anyone here using Linux and running WoW? If so then what distro and
> hardware are you using.
>
> thanks

You can run WoW under linux, but you'll need to use the winex program by
transgaming, called cedega.

Check out http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3518 for
more information.
If you know what you're doing you can build winex from the source code and
not have to pay for cedega binaries. You can find that over at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winex

Good luck.

Mark wrote:
> "moif" <moif@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote in message
>> Is anyone here using Linux and running WoW? If so then what distro
>> and hardware are you using.
>>
>> thanks
>>

> You can run WoW under linux, but you'll need to use the winex program
> by transgaming, called cedega.
>
> Check out
> http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3518 for more
> information.
> If you know what you're doing you can build winex from the source
> code and not have to pay for cedega binaries. You can find that over
> at http://sourceforge.net/projects/winex
>
> Good luck.

Great stuff, thank you.

--
Moif of Bloodhoof <The Suffering>
Moif: http://www.wowrankings.com/viewb.htm?id=27138

In <3osvfhF7ereaU1@individual.net>, moif <moif@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote:
> Is anyone here using Linux and running WoW? If so then what distro and
> hardware are you using.

I have a Linux system that runs WoW, using Cedega. The performance is
excellent, although it's not possible to take advantage of some of the
more advanced features (I have an older graphics card in the system
though, which may be the cause rather than cedega).

As with most things Linux, it may need some tweaking. There are various
open problems which Transgaming seems unwilling to solve, some of them
with possibly counteracting solutions. After each patch, it takes a day
or two for fixes or workarounds to appear for new problems.

You can view their forums here:

http://transgaming.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=51

Although those forums generally only cover problems, not success stories
(much like the WoW official forums ;) I haven't run 1.7 on my system,
but the forums look pretty encouraging in that regards; 1.6 took a few
days to get sorted.

If you're comfortable installing video-drivers, third-party software
(not from the distributor) and tweaking text-based config files, it's a
pretty good investment for anyone who has an existing Linux installation
(but no Windows).

My Linux system is a P4 2.4Ghz, with a Geforce4 440MX videocard, 1GB
ram, and some pretty fast drives. My display settings are mostly
'medium'. Molten Core Boss-fights are not a problem with it.

On 2005-09-15, moif <moif@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote:
> Is anyone here using Linux and running WoW? If so then what distro and
> hardware are you using.

I run WoW on Linux. Contrary to what other posters have said, I use
vanilla wine: no cedega required. Installation was the trickiest
part; there's a good guide on the gentoo forums. I run WoW with
-opengl as the wine's directx support is still not quite there.

I'm running a gentoo system on an oldish AthlonXP 2100. Only have
512M of RAM, hoping to upgrade soon. GF6800 graphics card. I get a
playable 20+fps most of the time with all settings cranked except for
terrain distance, which kills it badly.

--

Phil.

Phil Roberts wrote:
> On 2005-09-15, moif <moif@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote:
>
>>Is anyone here using Linux and running WoW? If so then what distro and
>>hardware are you using.
>

> I run WoW on Linux. Contrary to what other posters have said, I use
> vanilla wine: no cedega required. Installation was the trickiest
> part; there's a good guide on the gentoo forums. I run WoW with
> -opengl as the wine's directx support is still not quite there.
>
> I'm running a gentoo system on an oldish AthlonXP 2100. Only have
> 512M of RAM, hoping to upgrade soon. GF6800 graphics card. I get a
> playable 20+fps most of the time with all settings cranked except for
> terrain distance, which kills it badly.

I am running linux-WoW too. I have the lastest gentoo wine and patches
go smoothly now. No problems whatsoever except for adjusting the
displaysettings ingame, that crashes wine.

Framerates with -opengl are decent (P4-2800 GT6600GT).

I installed WoW by copying the installation folder from my windows
partition. That works perfect and i recommend that if you have the
opportunity. Futhermore, when you play long sessions/instances i
recommend booting up windows instead of linux.
For the occasional AH check or whatever linux works fine for me.

zeebertus@hotmail.invalid wrote:
> Phil Roberts wrote:
>> On 2005-09-15, moif <moif@macburgerdonaldsking.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is anyone here using Linux and running WoW? If so then what distro
>>> and hardware are you using.
>>

>> I run WoW on Linux. Contrary to what other posters have said, I use
>> vanilla wine: no cedega required. Installation was the trickiest
>> part; there's a good guide on the gentoo forums. I run WoW with
>> -opengl as the wine's directx support is still not quite there.
>>
>> I'm running a gentoo system on an oldish AthlonXP 2100. Only have
>> 512M of RAM, hoping to upgrade soon. GF6800 graphics card. I get a
>> playable 20+fps most of the time with all settings cranked except for
>> terrain distance, which kills it badly.
>>

> I am running linux-WoW too. I have the lastest gentoo wine and patches
> go smoothly now. No problems whatsoever except for adjusting the
> displaysettings ingame, that crashes wine.
>
> Framerates with -opengl are decent (P4-2800 GT6600GT).
>
> I installed WoW by copying the installation folder from my windows
> partition. That works perfect and i recommend that if you have the
> opportunity. Futhermore, when you play long sessions/instances i
> recommend booting up windows instead of linux.
> For the occasional AH check or whatever linux works fine for me.

All very encouraging. I'll be attempting to install on SuSE 9.3 over the
weekend :)

On 2005-09-16, zeebertus@hotmail.invalid <zeebertus@hotmail.invalid> wrote:
> Phil Roberts wrote:
>> I run WoW on Linux.
>
> I am running linux-WoW too. I have the lastest gentoo wine and patches
> go smoothly now. No problems whatsoever except for adjusting the
> displaysettings ingame, that crashes wine.

Interesting. I've not had the crash on video settings update since
the latest wine release. Didn't even attempt it for a while before
that because it used to crash on me, so it may have been fixed
earlier.

> I installed WoW by copying the installation folder from my windows
> partition. That works perfect and i recommend that if you have the
> opportunity.

This does seem the easier route.

> Futhermore, when you play long sessions/instances i recommend
> booting up windows instead of linux.

Why's that?

--

Phil.

Phil Roberts wrote:
> On 2005-09-16, zeebertus@hotmail.invalid <zeebertus@hotmail.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Phil Roberts wrote:
>>
>>>I run WoW on Linux.
>>
>>I am running linux-WoW too. I have the lastest gentoo wine and patches
>>go smoothly now. No problems whatsoever except for adjusting the
>>displaysettings ingame, that crashes wine.
>

> Interesting. I've not had the crash on video settings update since
> the latest wine release. Didn't even attempt it for a while before
> that because it used to crash on me, so it may have been fixed
> earlier.
>

>>I installed WoW by copying the installation folder from my windows
>>partition. That works perfect and i recommend that if you have the
>>opportunity.
>

> This does seem the easier route.
>

>>Futhermore, when you play long sessions/instances i recommend
>>booting up windows instead of linux.
>

> Why's that?

I play in windows for long sessions because i get a better framerate
there or can play a higher resolutions.(I have large lcd and that needs
a high resolution, interpolation isnt everything ...:(). I could play
linux all the way though, but since i dont do anything else while
playing, i dont mind the reboot