Are the Corsair AX and HX PSU really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhysicsAtWars

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hi all,

I am in the process of looking up components to build my first ever gaming system. When I start doing research on the PSU, it seem Corsair is one of the top brand making good PSU. But then after many review claiming the HX 1050 or the AX 850 failed and fried the whole computer, that freak me out!

Lol I don't want just a PSU to kill all the hard earn money I invested in other components. So do you guys think it's ok to go ahead and use the Corsair PSU or not?

I have done the wattage calculation using the online calculator, it tells me I need about 900-1000 watt. So I think the HX 1050 should be enough.

What do you think?

Thanks

Solution
They are quality power supplies. These reviews you were reading were they from credible review sites or personal reviews? With personal reviews on many sites they don't even verify the reviewer owns the item, don't take into account the reviewers level of expertise. It possible they were overloading the psu weren't using a surge protector our many other possible causes a novice might blame on something else. Here's a good site for psu reviews. www.jonnyguru.com

Goodeggray

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Most psu unless they tell will rate the output in watts at a ambient temp of 20 or 30C. The temp inside you case is going to be higher. When ambient temp goes from 20 t0 50C most psu will lose output by as much 40 to 50%. The AX and HX is rated at 50C.

You don't measure a power supply but its temps... you measure it by its "OUTPUT" of power. thats what the Power supply was rated Gold.. because it have handle the efficiency. Now yes PSU do go through a temp test but its probably 1 test. everything else is power and energy test

Goodeggray

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
The temp I talking about are the air temp around the psu when wattage output are measured. The gold rating means that at half of rated output the psu has 90% efficient. Which means for every 1 watt going into the psu it putout .9 watt or better

bignastyid

Titan
They are quality power supplies. These reviews you were reading were they from credible review sites or personal reviews? With personal reviews on many sites they don't even verify the reviewer owns the item, don't take into account the reviewers level of expertise. It possible they were overloading the psu weren't using a surge protector our many other possible causes a novice might blame on something else. Here's a good site for psu reviews. www.jonnyguru.com

Solution

dannyritz

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Do not buy the Corsair HX650 80+ Gold. It has a major problem. When I played games or did any 3d modelling it made a whistling or chirping noise. My replacement unit did the same thing. I looked up the reviews online on amazon and everyone there was having the same problem. This means there's a problem in design. I bought it simply on the brand name, wattage and 7 year warranty.

I now have the older model of the HX650. the 80+ bronze and thats fine.

The lesson here is that read the reviews of everything you buy. Never just trust the brand name. There may be a model with a defect.

The reviews of Corsair psu's in general are positive and while I am no expert, I've only built one computer for myself, they seem well made and come with good service if something goes wrong.

The HX and AX series are Corsair's premium brands of psu's. The AX is fully modular and the HX is partially so. This means that the HX motherboard and cpu power cables are non modular. They're also more expensive so if you want to save some money you could go with a TX model. I think those are supposed to be good too. But non modular.

Read the reviews on sites like Amazon and newegg and if they're positive then buy it.

EzioAs

Distinguished

As amuffin said, it's probably coil whine. It's hateful but norm around any components.

@ PhysicsAtWars

As many people here said, Corsair's HX and AX series are their premium models. It's possible that most personal customer reviewers just had some bad units (it happens to everything) or as bignastyid said, some people are overloading the units. Anyway, the point is that you have nothing to be extremely worried about.

Status
Not open for further replies.