Status
Not open for further replies.

ishadu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Like the title says my computer will crash in any game if crossfire is enabled. What happens is after usually about 10 minutes the picture will freeze with the sound continuing on for a few seconds before it too will stop working. At that point the only way to fix it is to hard reset the computer. I have done everything i could possible think of to solve this issue but nothing I've tried has worked. The strange part is when i check the event log the only thing it shows it that the computer was hard reset, no other errors show up for when it happens. When crossfire is disabled though everything works fine

Hardware:
-Asus Sabertooth 990fx motherboard
-AMD Bulldozer fx-8120
-16gb partriot 1333mhz memory
-60gb partriot ssd (os)
-1tb storage hd
-MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II oc 2gb x2 video cards
-850 watt power supply

-It is currently a fresh install of windows 7 with all drivers up to date as well as the bios. I have tried swapping the video cards but it is the same results. I'm sure there is something I'm forgetting to add, because there always is

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
How hot is your system running? I knwo my 2x 6950's runs quite hot (70-90 degrees C) when playing BF3 or graphic intensive games.

Try removing the side panel of your case. You can also turn your case on its side so that the hot air rises out of the case and allow for cooler air to flow in.

Rest of your system looks fine.

ishadu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Both video cards show to be around 45c. The thing is it does seem to matter if i go try to play a game immediately after start up or wait a few hours, it'll freeze regardless. Also i forgot to mention what kind of case i have, it's a Corsair 600t so it has a fair amount of airflow.

ishadu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

raidmax 850w, outputs:+3.3V@24A, +5V@30A, +12V1@34A, +12V2@34A, +12V3@34A, +12V4@34A,-12V@0.5A ,5VSB@3.0A

ishadu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

I have been debating on if i should get a different psu or not... I'm just hesitant because of the chance that it won't fix it.. then again that could be said about any troubleshooting step that involves spending money

There is a good chance its the PSU but from the temps you posted that must just be an idle temp as you will not get load temps that low unless you have water cooling also check your CPU temp as the 2 cards could increase your case temps and overheat the CPU. Also have you tried both the cards separately?

ishadu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

I agree with you on the temps... the issues is getting the computer to run long enough for the temps to really drastically change.

Yes I have tried both cards individually, if crossfire is disabled everything runs fine with either card.

An interesting side note, as i have been troubleshooting this I have been using the benchmarks in Just Cause 2 as a stability test (I know, not the most intensive test). Before I re-installed windows it would always freeze at about the same point and my fps would be fluctuate between 80 and 120 fps(up until it froze). After the fresh install it passes the benchmark, but it only gets 60fps but doesn't really fluctuate at all. I went on to try 3dmark11 and it froze about 2 mins in.

Also I think I'm going to go get a psu tester in the morning

Well, consider this.

If getting a new power supply doesnt fix it, then you have a better power supply, one that will probably run much much longer than the Raidmax.

If it does fix it, then you have a new power supply to use for builds to come.

Also, have you tried each card individually?

How are your temps?

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
A new PSU is definitely on the cards, but try the free stuff first.

Have you enabled crossfireX in CCC.

Uninstalled then reinstalled the drivers.

Tested the cards individually?

Checked your CPU load when the crash occurs

ishadu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

I agree it would be wise to get a better quality power supply, the thing is I'm still iffy as to if that the cause or not because lately I have just been using either the just cause 2 benchmarks or the demo in 3dmark11 and about 95% of the time they always freeze in the same spot.

As to trying the cards individually, yes i have.. when crossfire is disabled there is no issue.

Temp wise gpu1 sits around 45c and gpu2 around 35 with my cpu being around 45c

ishadu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

yes crossfirex is enabled in CCC.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers multiple times, downloading them both from the msi website as well as the amd site.

What would be a good way to check my cpu load when it occurs? The thing is when it does happen I can't do anything but hit the reset button. I loose all input methods and the computer completely freezes. Is there any way to record it to view after I restart the computer?

amdphreak95

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Hey, im having the same problem i looked it up and its the Catalyst driver itsself. does your screen freeze or bsod? cause thats it i was using my setup 2 6770's in crossfire went to overclock it and the ccc driver crashed and it keep freezing my computer so i started my computer up and before it culd load anything i loaded up the task manager and found the ccc.exe and ended the process.. i then went and uninstalled the catalyst control center and it works fine.. i hope im not to late and spread the word to AMD can find out whats wrong.

Charles Hammer

Honorable
May 18, 2013

no sorry i haven't i went and sold one card then got rid of the ccc software, and it works fine im about to go to nvidia, i've talked to amd and they basically said we dont care, as for my love for amd its dwindling little by little, i will keep their processors but not their vidocards. my best advice is to sell the cards and get a gtx 660 ti its the same power as both cards

Jor-el

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Have the same problem ...

My PC:
Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D Big Tower
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition FX-9590
Watercooling: Corsair H100 Hydro
GPU: 2 x Sapphire Radeon R9 290X in Crossfire
RAM:Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
HDD: OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 SSD 240GB
Screen: HP w2207
Mouse:Logitech G500
GAMING SURFACE: Razer Goliathus Extended XL
Headphones: Astro A50 WIRELESS HEADSET 7.1
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa

Please help !!!

amdphreak95

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

X6Damian6X

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
I know this happened to me and took forever to figure out. But the fix was to change an easy registry setting. What happens is ultra low power saving mode is enabled by default and what it ends up doing Is making the clock speed too low to properly start the second graphics card and causing it to crash before it gets to speed with the game. Even videos.

Enable your crossfire first

So we are going to disable ULPS(Ultra low power saving mode)
Search for RegEdit and right click and Run As Administrator.
Now go to Edit and Find.
Search...
EnableUlps and make sure it searches the whole registry and not from a previously selected folder.
Now open each one the says ONLY "EnableUlps" because there is similar ones. And then change the number from 1 to 0 for it.
There is more of them throughout so press f3 to get to the next ones until you are finished. Every second one is enableulps. Once that is all done restart your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.