Need Help With My First Build.

Invrlose

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2012
Hello I'm going to be building a gaming rig.

This will be my rig.

Asus Z77 Sabertooth
The next generation equivalent of i5 3750k.
The GTX 780 Once it comes out.
Western Digital Caviar Black 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache
An SSD (Not sure how big, it will be for steam and the OS, as well as maybe WoW and a few other things.)
Case: Can't decide between NZXT Phantom PHAN001WT, Antec df 85, CM HAF X( I really would like this, but can't find a blue version and I'd rather not pay for bloody fans that I would have to take out anyway to replace.)
I'm 17 and its my first build, but I've got $5000 in the bank and I want to drop anywhere from $2000-$3000 on this. $3000 would be the absolute max that I shell out for this. I need help deciding the rest of my components. I'm fairly capable with computers, I've changed every component of a computer at one time or another, I've just never built from scratch.

help me build a slick machine!

Invrlose

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2012
Oh thank you I had no idea there was a website like that. I will put it to good use.

As for cases though, which one would you suggest? I have ruled out the Antec DF 85 because there isn't adequate cable management behind the mobo tray. The HAF X I have heard hasn't had a large enough cut-out for the CPU cooler either. What is your experience with the HAF X, DF 85, or NZXT Phantom (Full tower version)

TheXhosa

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
I would suggest to buy a midi tower instead of a full one if you're not planning to have a huge load of hard drives or a mo bo with 3 - 4 way SLI/CrossfireX. An 120 Gb SSD would be enough for what you said you need, aswell if you're planning to get several titles to play I would go for 1tb 7200 RPM WD CB better to be safe in a storage point of view and I guess it's not way more expensive, a dual channel 2 x 8gb kit is sufficient at the moment but your mo bo can get more in case technology gets ahead of you, a 760 PSU 80GOLD+ will hold up your single or dual GPU's my suggestion would be a Seasonic X760 or equivalent. Good Luck !