Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I5-2400 operating temps

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 29, 2013 6:00:13 AM

Hi all. I was curious as to what temp my CPU has been running at, so I downloaded RealTemp. Current temperature at 21-23% load (with World of Warcraft running) is around 50* C. Max temp while playing the game reached 75* C. According to Intel's website, max operating temp should only be around 72.6* C. This frightens me! I am using the stock cooler in a Cooler Master HAF 922 with working fans. RealTemp says that the thermal status is "ok," but failing/not enough thermal paste is the only reason I can think that my CPU is running so hot! I haven't noticed any system issues. I'd rather not have to reapply thermal paste so I thought I would come here for advice- to see what you all think I should do. Thanks in advance!

PS The ambient temperature in here is around 75* C. Damn you Texas, it's winter! Give me cold!

More about : 2400 operating temps

January 29, 2013 6:13:38 AM

Put in some more coolers facing the CPU if you want to shave of those 3*C. Otherwise I think it's an ok temp while playing.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2013 6:18:44 AM

bsullivan1983 said:
Hi all. I was curious as to what temp my CPU has been running at, so I downloaded RealTemp. Current temperature at 21-23% load (with World of Warcraft running) is around 50* C. Max temp while playing the game reached 75* C. According to Intel's website, max operating temp should only be around 72.6* C. This frightens me! I am using the stock cooler in a Cooler Master HAF 922 with working fans. RealTemp says that the thermal status is "ok," but failing/not enough thermal paste is the only reason I can think that my CPU is running so hot! I haven't noticed any system issues. I'd rather not have to reapply thermal paste so I thought I would come here for advice- to see what you all think I should do. Thanks in advance!

PS The ambient temperature in here is around 75* C. Damn you Texas, it's winter! Give me cold!

lol your ambient temperature can't be 75C, thats 167.0F.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 79 à CPUs
January 29, 2013 6:20:17 AM

75 C ambient will melt you before your cpu :p 
On a serious note, your temps are fine. 72.6 is Tcase, not core temp, which for our cpu's is 103 C (or 95). T case is read at the HSF, cpu contact and that will be considerably lower.

good luck
-satyam
January 29, 2013 6:24:14 AM

Haha, you know I meant 75* F :)  Thank you Saty for clearing up the definition of Tcase for me. Calmed my nerves.
Score
January 29, 2013 6:24:39 AM

Best answer selected by bsullivan1983.
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
January 29, 2013 7:22:22 AM

glad could be of help Sully :)  . I do not think that all your cores hit 75. It would have been just one that might have done it and there is no harm in that but if your are not comfortable with that then add a fan to the case if you can.
Score
!