I'can change the size of the recycle bin. I have tried right clicking on the
recycle icon and then on the Global tab. I then click "Use one setting for
all drives" and then set the slide bar at 10% and click apply and OK. My HD
is 160 gigs so I should end up with about 16 gigs of recycle space, yet it
only shows 3.99 gigs available. I have also tried to configure the drives
independently and end up with the same result. If I delete something that
exceeds the limit a previously deleted file is removed from the recycle bin
to make space.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:45:09 -0700, PhilM wrote:

> I'can change the size of the recycle bin. I have tried right clicking on the
> recycle icon and then on the Global tab. I then click "Use one setting for
> all drives" and then set the slide bar at 10% and click apply and OK. My HD
> is 160 gigs so I should end up with about 16 gigs of recycle space, yet it
> only shows 3.99 gigs available. I have also tried to configure the drives
> independently and end up with the same result. If I delete something that
> exceeds the limit a previously deleted file is removed from the recycle bin
> to make space.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks

Hmmm. I think you've hit a limitation that can't be changed. Recycle Bin is
represented as a folder but it's a program. I suspect the upper limit is in
the code rather than a setting or registry key that could be altered.

Remember that Shift+Del will bypass the Recycle Bin and simply delete a
file. That should help a bit.

Also, may want to create a temporary holding folder for files that you're
considering for deletion. Example: create a folder named Hold2Del
That will leave the Recycle Bin clear to operate within its own
limitations. And keep data safe that you aren't quite ready to let go of.

You could add that holding folder to your sendto menu: create a shortcut
for the folder. Click Start> Run and type sendto into the text box. Drop
the shortcut into the folder window that appears. To use: Right click a
file and select Send To> Hold2Del

May run into complications if there are multiple partitions: Send To may
copy the file instead of moving it if two partitions are involved. If that
happens, it may take some experimenting to work out the kinks in this basic
workaround.

Periodically, review the contents of the holding folder. Send unwanted
items to the Recycle Bin or use Shift+Del.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User