PC shuts off when case is up-right

kisazeky

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Hi all,

Today, I built a computer for the first time, and encountered a strange problem. If the case is oriented upright, the PC will shut down a few seconds after POST. But, if the case is on its side, it will stay on.

The case is a Coolermaster Elite 430. I'm using an FX-4100 CPU with a stock cooler, thermal paste applied.

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you.

You need to remount the motherboard. Check the backplate for squareness, check for metal port leftover tabs that need to be bent or broken off so they don't touch metal on the board, case standoffs that are loose, uneven, or touching the bare board, and reseat all power supply connections to the board (remove and reinstall, especially the 24 pin connector).

yogy

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
strange problem ,what is your specs more detailed ,becouse I had the same problem a long time ago and it whas the psu ,it whas overheating because there was bad air flow (generely orientated down systems cool mutch more good)

kisazeky

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

Thanks for the reply! I'll try this later when I get a chance and will let you know if it helps.

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
Graphics: Radeon HD 6870
RAM: 1600 mhz DDR3 Dual Channel 8 GB
HDD: 500GB SATA III 7200 RPM
Optical Drive: 22x DVD-RW

Overheating could be a possibility.

kisazeky

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Unfortunately, o1die, this didn't solve the problem. I reseated the motherboard, making sure the stand-offs were tight and in the right places, made sure no metal was touching from the IO-shield, and plugged everything back in. Thank you much for this advice, however, as I discovered that I had a few loose stand-offs. I am beginning to think this is an overheating or short circuit issue.

TRENDING THREADS