Closed Solved

Core i5 3570, to upgrade or not to upgrade...

So I have this plan to upgrade my cpu from an Core i3 550 to an Core i5 3570

but I don't intend to upgrade my Operating System as well, btw my O.S. is Win7 Home Basic 32-Bit

so that leaves me with 3.5 GB of RAM...

Should I upgrade? I dont intend to upgrade anymore parts...

My Current Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i3 550 @3.2 GHz
GPU: MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III OC Ed
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1x4GB DDR3 1333
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620W

If it would help for you guys to know what my purpose is, it is to play some games such as the upcoming Crysis 3 and GTA V...
at most with high settings...

-Thank you in Advance!
57 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about core 3570 upgrade upgrade
  1. I would definitely upgrade. You will get a performance boost in most everything.

    May as well get Windows 8 64bit while you're at it, yeah. The extra RAM is nice and Windows 8 tends to run a few games better.
  2. Best answer
    yep. upgrade. get a 2nd stick of ram while you are at it so you can run it in dual channel mode

    as for windows 8 running games better, im going to call hog wash. it might get 1 frame or 2 in a few games but when i ran it, it had considerably worse fps drops in planetside 2. there are a few games where for some reason the performance isnt where it should be

    also, you are going to need a 64 bit operating system
  3. and you will need a new mobo too. cant fit 3570 in your current mobo.
  4. But what if I do not upgrade my OS? would it make my games run slower? a lot slower perhaps?
  5. satyamdubey said:
    and you will need a new mobo too. cant fit 3570 in your current mobo.


    Yes of course, I will buy a new mobo
  6. Yes, you should seriously consider an upgrade. If you have an overclocking board, get the 3570k, if not get the standard one. Next, I suggest you get a 64bit os, just pirate it or something if you dont have the money and then get another 4gb ram stick and you should be done
  7. Yes, you should seriously consider an upgrade. If you have an overclocking board, get the 3570k, if not get the standard one. Next, I suggest you get a 64bit os, just pirate it or something if you dont have the money and then get another 4gb ram stick and you should be done
  8. XFA24 said:
    But what if I do not upgrade my OS? would it make my games run slower? a lot slower perhaps?

    Upgrading atm won't do anything for you. But if you get another stick of RAM (the same as your other one) and then upgrade, you will see a performance boost in high settings games.
  9. he would see a small boost right now by upgrading to a 64bit operating system. even with just 4 gigs he isnt able to use all his ram.

    64bit raises that limitation, if you had 8 gigs you would definitely want it.
  10. neon neophyte said:
    he would see a small boost right now by upgrading to a 64bit operating system. even with just 4 gigs he isnt able to use all his ram.

    64bit raises that limitation, if you had 8 gigs you would definitely want it.

    32bit supports 4GB of RAM. It says 3.5 on his control panel, because 500MB is being used. It says that on all systems.

    Upgrading now without another RAM stick makes no difference.
  11. is being used? in my control panel it says "8 gb." none of it is "being used."
  12. crazypotato said:
    Yes, you should seriously consider an upgrade. If you have an overclocking board, get the 3570k, if not get the standard one. Next, I suggest you get a 64bit os, just pirate it or something if you dont have the money and then get another 4gb ram stick and you should be done

    Whoa!!! hold your horses man...don't talk piracy...you'll get banned!!
  13. neon neophyte said:
    is being used? in my control panel it says "8 gb." none of it is "being used."

    lolno

    Your computer is using RAM even when entirely idle. Your computer is NEVER not using RAM.
  14. *face palm* gee, really? it's why i put it in quotes. the fact his computer is using his ram doesnt explain why it only lists 3.5 gb
  15. It should say 4 GB if it supported 4 GB. I know mine says 12 GB not 11.5 GB or whatever.
  16. with a new mobo you might have to re install your OS. there are ways to avoid the hassle of doing that by setting your hard drive and video adaptor to generic. and then using your hard drive with your new mobo.

    I'll let you know if i could dig something out on that.
  17. Windows 7 32 bit, Windows Vista 32 bit, Windows XP 32 bit, Linux 32 bit, all have something in common... 32 bit numbers go up to 4 billion.

    So to address each byte of memory, you need to have a number to address it by... once you run out of numbers, you can't address any more.

    So 32 bit operating systems have what is called a 4GB address space... However... system memory is only one kind of memory... there is also Graphics memory for example, so each device shares in part of the 4 billion available addresses.

    all this means in practical use, you will see 2.5 to 3.6 GB of available address space for system memory depending on what size of memory your hardware is consuming...

    This is one of the main reasons to switch over to 64 bit addressing.
    64 bit numbers can address up to about 16 exabytes of memory... so the hardware ceases to be a limitation.

    so yeah on average Windows 7 (and every other 32 bit OS) can use around 2.5 to 3.6 GB of system Memory

    ie, upgrading to 64 bit windows would allow the system to address the full 4gb of system memory. it WOULD make a difference.
  18. neon neophyte said:
    *face palm* gee, really? it's why i put it in quotes. the fact his computer is using his ram doesnt explain why it only lists 3.5 gb

    what matilda is pointing out to is that not the entire 4 GB ram is available when using 32 bit windows. some is system reserved.
    It says something like 3.5 GB installed, and 2.89 available (for instance)
  19. alright you beat me to it... :)
  20. no, what she is trying to say is that all his ram is being addressed and that he would see no benefit to upgrading to a 64bit operating system.

    this is not true. she thinks that the 4gb limit on 32 bit operating system is entirely for the system ram and is rationalizing that thought even though the system is only listin 3.5gb as being addressed.

    simply put, she is wrong.
  21. crazypotato said:
    Yes, you should seriously consider an upgrade. If you have an overclocking board, get the 3570k, if not get the standard one. Next, I suggest you get a 64bit os, just pirate it or something if you dont have the money and then get another 4gb ram stick and you should be done


    Yeah well, i thought of that too, but then again, I wouldn't want my legit OS go to waste..

    And also, I don't want pirated Operating Systems.... wouldn't want to tolerate these
  22. neon neophyte said:
    no, what she is trying to say is that all his ram is being addressed and that he would see no benefit to upgrading to a 64bit operating system.

    this is not true. she thinks that the 4gb limit on 32 bit operating system is entirely for the system ram and is rationalizing that thought even though the system is only listin 3.5gb as being addressed.

    simply put, she is wrong.

    If they were to upgrade this second, their system would use the exact same amount of RAM.

    They have 4GB. Windows 7 x64 can use 4GB. Allowing you to use more when you only have 4GB will not give you any more RAM magically. Your system will still reserve the exact same amount of RAM and allow you to use the exact same amount of it.

    64x isn't magic and it isn't a performance upgrade.
  23. no, you are wrong. all his ram isnt being addressed because the 4gb limitation on his 32bit operating system is addressing hardware OTHER THAN his system ram. this is why he is only seeing 3.5gb as usable.

    a 64 bit operating system would remove that limitation allowing his system to address OTHER HARDWARE and his ALL of his ram. giving him his 4gb as usable.

    now please stop posting, you dont have a clue what you are talking about.
  24. neon neophyte said:
    no, you are wrong. all his ram isnt being addressed because the 4gb limitation on his 32bit operating system is addressing hardware OTHER THAN his system ram. this is why he is only seeing 3.5gb as usable.

    a 64 bit operating system would remove that limitation allowing his system to address OTHER HARDWARE and his ALL of his ram. giving him his 4gb as usable.

    now please stop posting, you dont have a clue what you are talking about.

    I would have an easier time believing you knew what you were talking about, if you actually used English. You can shout and carry on like a child all you like. You aren't proving anything.
  25. i honestly dont care if you understand or not at this point. i have explained exactly what is going on, repeatedly. you simply do not comprehend. you are wrong, per usual.

    this is a tech forum, not an english class.
  26. neon neophyte said:
    i honestly dont care if you understand or not at this point. i have explained exactly what is going on, repeatedly. you simply do not comprehend. you are wrong, per usual.

    this is a tech forum, not an english class.

    Again, you can attempt inane insults like a child, or you can demonstrate your point. Simply carrying on and throwing a tantrum isn't helping your case. No amount of exclamations or capital letters is going to make you any less wrong than you are.

    I find one's ability to spell relates to their relative knowledge on many things ;)
  27. i have already explained it and the caps were for emphasis in an attempt to help you understand.

    fact is, his system would have access to 500mb more ram if he was using a 64bit operating system.

    honestly, i havent seen you say anything right, in any thread. i think you are in the wrong place.
  28. neon neophyte said:
    i have already explained it and the caps were for emphasis in an attempt to help you understand.

    fact is, his system would have access to 500mb more ram if he was using a 64bit operating system.

    honestly, i havent seen you say anything right, in any thread. i think you are in the wrong place.

    500MB? And where, pray tell, are these 500MB's coming from? Hm? Is his system suddenly going to be using no RAM? His system will still read 3.5GB because their programs and hardware will still use that exact amount. 32bit doesn't limit you to 3.5GB and use 500MB. It doesn't take 4GB and then let you use 3.5GB. It takes 4GB and then let's you use what it isn't using to red and store it's functioning systems.

    I doubt you've even studied software or hardware outside of gradeschool.
  29. the ram amount listed in control panel is the total amount of ram in the system. how much ram the system is using isnt relevant.

    this is why my control panel lists 8gb, even though the system is using ram.

    its almost painful how little you comprehend the subject yet feel compelled to state your malformed opinion on it.
  30. would it be best for me to upgrade?
    some additional information might help, i know that in these situations, the answer shall depend on some conditions

    I am a casual gamer, I rarely play games such as Battlefield and Crysis in Online because I know that playing these games online would need more than 2 cores to improve the gaming experience.

    So, do guys still think that I should upgrade?
  31. well, how often do you find your cpu working at 100 percent? any of those times, you would see benefit from a better processor

    another stick of ram would help with everything regardless though, as you would be running in dual channel mode instead of single channel
  32. neon neophyte said:
    the ram amount listed in control panel is the total amount of ram in the system. how much ram the system is using isnt relevant.

    this is why my control panel lists 8gb, even though the system is using ram.

    its almost painful how little you comprehend the subject yet feel compelled to state your malformed opinion on it.

    If it's not relevant, why could you not utilize your 8GB of RAM if you were to end every process your computer is currently undergoing? Because some of it will be reserved.

    Anywho, you're clearly never going to mature, so consider yourself ignored. No doubt you'll be glad ;P
  33. XFA24 said:
    would it be best for me to upgrade?
    some additional information might help, i know that in these situations, the answer shall depend on some conditions

    I am a casual gamer, I rarely play games such as Battlefield and Crysis in Online because I know that playing these games online would need more than 2 cores to improve the gaming experience.

    So, do guys still think that I should upgrade?

    Games don't really benefit from more than two cores. So don't worry about it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4PDoy-mi0A
  34. how much ram my system is using is not relevant to how much ram is there to be used.

    i have 8gb there to be used. he has 3.5gb there to be used, even though he has 4gb. again, the reason for this is because windows 32bit is limited to 4gb of total system address space, this includes everything in the system which isnt system ram. like, video ram for example. because of this his system is only addressing 3.5gb of his 4gb of ram. he has 500mb which are going completely unaddressed and are entirely unusable. i cant make this any more clear for you. if you dont understand, oh well.

    edit: now you are claiming games dont benefit from more than 2 cores? holy crap. this is painful. many games benefit from more than 2 cores. pretty much all modern games benefit from more than 2 cores. are you a troll? are you just being wrong all the time for giggles? unbelievable...
  35. XFA, to put you to ease, post Vista, 32 bit and 64 bit windows licenses are interchangeable.

    for matilda: http://superuser.com/questions/27086/why-does-windows-only-show-about-3-5-gb-of-my-more-than-4-gb-of-ram

    &: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74698
  36. MatildaPersson said:
    Games don't really benefit from more than two cores. So don't worry about it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4PDoy-mi0A


    Games like BF3 do, especially online..
  37. satyamdubey said:
    XFA, to put you to ease, post Vista, 32 bit and 64 bit windows licenses are interchangeable.

    for matilda: http://superuser.com/questions/27086/why-does-windows-only-show-about-3-5-gb-of-my-more-than-4-gb-of-ram

    long version: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74698


    she wont understand...

    the only thing she knows is 32bit operating system are limited to 4gb. anything beyond that goes completely over her head.
  38. BuddiLuva said:
    Games like BF3 do, especially online..

    But for someone on a budget, 2 cores is fine.

    Of course if you can afford an i5 quad or higher, certainly go for it! But there's a bit of a myth that number of cores has a big impact on gaming. I'd rather see someone on a tight budget get a smaller CPU and a bigger GPU than a bigger CPU and a less ideal GPU -- for gaming.
  39. MatildaPersson said:
    But for someone on a budget, 2 cores is fine.

    Of course if you can afford an i5 quad or higher, certainly go for it! But there's a bit of a myth that number of cores has a big impact on gaming. I'd rather see someone on a tight budget get a smaller CPU and a bigger GPU than a bigger CPU and a less ideal GPU -- for gaming.


    Yeah definitely, I agree with that. But it seems to me that the CPU is bottlenecking the card, so the only option is to upgrade the CPU.

    If he doesn't jump to an i5 from an i3, what else can he do?
  40. satyamdubey said:
    XFA, to put you to ease, post Vista, 32 bit and 64 bit windows licenses are interchangeable.

    for matilda: http://superuser.com/questions/27086/why-does-windows-only-show-about-3-5-gb-of-my-more-than-4-gb-of-ram

    &: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74698


    Yes, i know that the licences for 32 bit and 64 bit is interchangeable, regardless of the version of the O.S. e.g. Home Premium

    but unfortunately, when i bought the OS Disk, it only had the 32-bit version..

    Maybe im missing something here, but may I just ask if that 32-bit version OS disk that I have,

    also have a 64-bit version inside? because I wasn't the one who formatted my computer...
  41. BuddiLuva said:
    Yeah definitely, I agree with that. But it seems to me that the CPU is bottlenecking the card, so the only option is to upgrade the CPU.

    If he doesn't jump to an i5 from an i3, what else can he do?

    Oh I don't meant NOT to upgrade in this case. I simply mean they could upgrade to the new i3 without having to worry if they are on a tight budget.

    I'm super lucky and can buy pretty much anything I want, but I find you can't always assume "just getting" the i5 3570(k) is simply a matter of just getting it.
  42. you can download all versions of windows 7 and burn them. theyre free and legal.

    edit: here you go

    http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html
  43. BuddiLuva said:
    Yeah definitely, I agree with that. But it seems to me that the CPU is bottlenecking the card, so the only option is to upgrade the CPU.

    If he doesn't jump to an i5 from an i3, what else can he do?


    Yes, i know that the cpu is bottlenecking the card, but may i just ask if its a minor bottleneck?
  44. neon neophyte said:
    you can download all versions of windows 7 and burn them. theyre free and legal.

    edit: here you go

    http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html


    really? i didn't know that

    thanks for the tip man!

    edit : oh wait, i forgot to ask

    are the operating systems on the link that you provided me are the ones South East Asian regions? because it says here on my OS Disk, I can only apply and activate my license key on the SEA region
  45. hard for us to just generally say. as it depends on which game.

    would be easy enough for you to find out though. just download a program like msi afterburner. it will show you how much of your gpu is being utilized at any given time.

    if your gpu is anywhere near 100 percent, then it isnt being bottlenecked (or not by much.)
  46. XFA24 said:
    Yes, i know that the cpu is bottlenecking the card, but may i just ask if its a minor bottleneck?

    Your current CPU needs to be upgraded as it will hold you back a lot. But if you can't afford the new i5, the new i3 isn't bad.
  47. XFA24 said:
    Yes, i know that the cpu is bottlenecking the card, but may i just ask if its a minor bottleneck?


    Only you can know that, if you go into a game --monitor how much of the CPU is being used and how much the GPU is being used.

    For example:

    If the CPU is at 95% usage and the GPU is at 65%

    Then it is pretty bad
  48. @neon neophyte

    about the link that you provided me with Operating Systems,

    i forgot to mention that I am running a Win7 Home Basic version

    Unfortunately, the Operating Systems on that link did not include the Home Basic version
  49. hrmz, im not entirely sure but i dont think microsoft released the retail trials for home basic.

    which means it wouldnt have a free, official, legal download on the internet.

    i could be mistaken though.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Intel i5