Core i5 3570, to upgrade or not to upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

XFA24

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
So I have this plan to upgrade my cpu from an Core i3 550 to an Core i5 3570

but I don't intend to upgrade my Operating System as well, btw my O.S. is Win7 Home Basic 32-Bit

so that leaves me with 3.5 GB of RAM...

Should I upgrade? I dont intend to upgrade anymore parts...

My Current Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i3 550 @3.2 GHz
GPU: MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III OC Ed
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1x4GB DDR3 1333
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620W

If it would help for you guys to know what my purpose is, it is to play some games such as the upcoming Crysis 3 and GTA V...
at most with high settings...

-Thank you in Advance!

Solution
yep. upgrade. get a 2nd stick of ram while you are at it so you can run it in dual channel mode

as for windows 8 running games better, im going to call hog wash. it might get 1 frame or 2 in a few games but when i ran it, it had considerably worse fps drops in planetside 2. there are a few games where for some reason the performance isnt where it should be

also, you are going to need a 64 bit operating system

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
yep. upgrade. get a 2nd stick of ram while you are at it so you can run it in dual channel mode

as for windows 8 running games better, im going to call hog wash. it might get 1 frame or 2 in a few games but when i ran it, it had considerably worse fps drops in planetside 2. there are a few games where for some reason the performance isnt where it should be

also, you are going to need a 64 bit operating system

Solution

crazypotato

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Yes, you should seriously consider an upgrade. If you have an overclocking board, get the 3570k, if not get the standard one. Next, I suggest you get a 64bit os, just pirate it or something if you dont have the money and then get another 4gb ram stick and you should be done

crazypotato

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Yes, you should seriously consider an upgrade. If you have an overclocking board, get the 3570k, if not get the standard one. Next, I suggest you get a 64bit os, just pirate it or something if you dont have the money and then get another 4gb ram stick and you should be done

MatildaPersson

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Upgrading atm won't do anything for you. But if you get another stick of RAM (the same as your other one) and then upgrade, you will see a performance boost in high settings games.

MatildaPersson

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

32bit supports 4GB of RAM. It says 3.5 on his control panel, because 500MB is being used. It says that on all systems.

Upgrading now without another RAM stick makes no difference.

satyamdubey

Distinguished

Whoa!!! hold your horses man...don't talk piracy...you'll get banned!!

satyamdubey

Distinguished
with a new mobo you might have to re install your OS. there are ways to avoid the hassle of doing that by setting your hard drive and video adaptor to generic. and then using your hard drive with your new mobo.

I'll let you know if i could dig something out on that.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
Windows 7 32 bit, Windows Vista 32 bit, Windows XP 32 bit, Linux 32 bit, all have something in common... 32 bit numbers go up to 4 billion.

So to address each byte of memory, you need to have a number to address it by... once you run out of numbers, you can't address any more.

So 32 bit operating systems have what is called a 4GB address space... However... system memory is only one kind of memory... there is also Graphics memory for example, so each device shares in part of the 4 billion available addresses.

all this means in practical use, you will see 2.5 to 3.6 GB of available address space for system memory depending on what size of memory your hardware is consuming...

This is one of the main reasons to switch over to 64 bit addressing.
64 bit numbers can address up to about 16 exabytes of memory... so the hardware ceases to be a limitation.

so yeah on average Windows 7 (and every other 32 bit OS) can use around 2.5 to 3.6 GB of system Memory

ie, upgrading to 64 bit windows would allow the system to address the full 4gb of system memory. it WOULD make a difference.

satyamdubey

Distinguished

what matilda is pointing out to is that not the entire 4 GB ram is available when using 32 bit windows. some is system reserved.
It says something like 3.5 GB installed, and 2.89 available (for instance)

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
no, what she is trying to say is that all his ram is being addressed and that he would see no benefit to upgrading to a 64bit operating system.

this is not true. she thinks that the 4gb limit on 32 bit operating system is entirely for the system ram and is rationalizing that thought even though the system is only listin 3.5gb as being addressed.

simply put, she is wrong.

XFA24

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012

Yeah well, i thought of that too, but then again, I wouldn't want my legit OS go to waste..

And also, I don't want pirated Operating Systems.... wouldn't want to tolerate these

MatildaPersson

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

If they were to upgrade this second, their system would use the exact same amount of RAM.

They have 4GB. Windows 7 x64 can use 4GB. Allowing you to use more when you only have 4GB will not give you any more RAM magically. Your system will still reserve the exact same amount of RAM and allow you to use the exact same amount of it.

64x isn't magic and it isn't a performance upgrade.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
no, you are wrong. all his ram isnt being addressed because the 4gb limitation on his 32bit operating system is addressing hardware OTHER THAN his system ram. this is why he is only seeing 3.5gb as usable.

a 64 bit operating system would remove that limitation allowing his system to address OTHER HARDWARE and his ALL of his ram. giving him his 4gb as usable.

now please stop posting, you dont have a clue what you are talking about.

MatildaPersson

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

I would have an easier time believing you knew what you were talking about, if you actually used English. You can shout and carry on like a child all you like. You aren't proving anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.