New build compatibility and suggestions

Brylord

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Hi I'm trying to get a build together for a computer I'm building for my brother. He's trying to stay around $500 and I wanted to make sure the list I built up already was compatible and also if you had any suggestions on upgrades(as long as they can stick close to the budget). With all these parts with shipping and tax it's at about $500 right now.

Computer Case: In Win Dragon Slayer Micro ATX tower
CPU: Intel Pentium G850 2.9 GHz dual-core processor
Mobo: AsRock B75M-DGS LGA 1155, micro ATX motherboard
GPU: EVGA GTX 550ti 1GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600 (4GBx1)
HDD: Western Digital 500GB Blue 7200RPM
PSU: Rosewill green series 80 certified 430W

It all works other than the RAM. You want two sticks of RAM so it runs in dual channel. 2x2GB will work fine, but not 1x4GB.

Brylord

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Well he's mainly going to use it as a school computer, but he also does some gaming as well. He doesn't need ultra high graphics but he'd like to be able to play some modern games. His monitor resolution is 1600x900

I always shop through Newegg.

malbluff

Honorable
Having had a look at it, there's no obvious way to improve that type of system, without extra expense, and even then, you'd be a bit limited. There isn't a way to swap things around. On the other hand, whilst it will do what he needs, modestly, it does "feel" a bit "short term". I imagine him wanting something better, fairly quickly, and from that system, you would probably have to start again.
I offer this only as a thought, as I obviously don't know the circumstances, or even your son's age:

Is there a desperate reason for m-ATX? The onboard graphics, in some of the latest chips, is pretty good, and capable of modest gaming. If a smallish mid-tower case were acceptable, and your son could manage with limited gaming (it won't play Battlefield 3, at least not any good), in the short term, you could put together a nice system (minus seperate GPU), using the latest i3 processor, and motherboard, that would be better generally, for "around" your budget. Your son could then save up (or a birthday present, or something), for as powerful a graphics card, as he wants, that will play everthing on high settings (which that GTX550Ti certainly won't). I know this puts off when he can play some games fairly well, but might be much better, at least in the medium term. I think he's more likely, medium term, to have a PC he's happy with, rather than "can't wait to change it", after 12 months.... Just a thought.