Prevent users from setting a password

August 10, 2005 2:45:47 PM

I have a friend who would like to prevent her young children from
adding passwords to their windows xp pro user accounts. Or possibly
preventing them from changing the password from the first one set. How
would this be done?
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:26:36 AM

On 10 Aug 2005 10:45:47 -0700, shumaker@cs.fsu.edu wrote:

> I have a friend who would like to prevent her young children from
> adding passwords to their windows xp pro user accounts. Or possibly
> preventing them from changing the password from the first one set. How
> would this be done?

I'm guessing that your friend want's access to the kids' accounts and the
kids are making this difficult by changing their passwords. There's no way
that I know of to block them from doing that but as a computer
administrator, your friend could use control userpasswords2 to "reset" a
user's password. There's no requirement with this tool to know the previous
password.

Clicking Start> Run and typing in control userpasswords 2 will bring up the
screen that I'm referring to.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User