Where do i start with upgrades.

hi, my name is rich.

im looking to upgrade my rig but not sure where to start or what brands im best to go with, even after all the research!

my spec as it stands,

GFX-NVIDIA GeForce 9800gt 2gig
Windows 7 hp 64 bit
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 (pcie 2.0)
AMD Athlon II x4 645 processor 3.1Ghz (AM3 socket)
RAM 4gigs (couldnt find exact speeds)
Power supply hiper type r 580w

my first question is, GFX card. I will be playing games on 1080p 22" monitor and was wondering what the best card is for this. i know that i dont need the top end ones as they are for mega high res and multi display (correct me if im wrong).
i was looking at maybe a 7870 from ATI or the older 570 from nvidea but wanted to know what might be better or if im looking in the wrong direction?

i also know that my RAM needs an upgrade to 8Gb for newer games so was looking at good brands for that, my MB will hold upto 16Gb at DDR3 1866oc, 1333, 1066. any suggestions at some RAM but not super expensive stuff unless it makes a nice difference.

how is my processor on this rig? one thing i know nothing about is processors, are the AMD bulldozer chips any good?

and lastly, well if you got this far without switching off lol would my power supply be able to handle what ever card you guys and gals my suggest?

thanks for your time and i hope you can give my some more places and ideas to research.

rich.
8 answers Last reply
More about where start upgrades
  1. BeagleBeats said:
    I will be playing games on 1080p 22" monitor

What type of games will you be playing, and at what specs? - like low, medium, high or even ultra - in terms of graphics.
    let me know then i will be able to tell if your components are good enough. And also what is your budget range?
  2. hi slith121,

i feel abit silly not posting the info you just pointed out!

i want to be playing games on ultra mostly. i have just ordered the HIS hd 7950 boost that was on "this week only" deal on overclockersuk. got it for £250 with 3 or 4 games which i intend to sell so hopefully it will only have cost me £220 in the end.

the games i will be playing are Guildwars2 and Boarderlands 2 when it comes out, i like alot of FPS games as well. COD and BF3.

would you be able to tell me iff my processor is any good or if i should get something better, if so any suggestions?

also do you know if that card will work with my MB properly (mine is PCIe 2.0 and that card is PCIe 3.0) i read some topics on it but i got mixed opinions about it.

i have seen some 8gb of ram from crucial ballistix i think it was called, is that any good? does it really matter what RAM you get, like the cheaper stuff? would 16gb of RAM be better or just overkill?

budget is really just a month to month thing when i get payed, but say about 200-300 pound on MB if i need to upgrade and a processor. i have money for RAM about 60-100 pound right now.

thanks for your time.
  3. BeagleBeats said:
    hi slith121,

i feel abit silly not posting the info you just pointed out!

i want to be playing games on ultra mostly. i have just ordered the HIS hd 7950 boost that was on "this week only" deal on overclockersuk. got it for £250 with 3 or 4 games which i intend to sell so hopefully it will only have cost me £220 in the end.

the games i will be playing are Guildwars2 and Boarderlands 2 when it comes out, i like alot of FPS games as well. COD and BF3.

would you be able to tell me iff my processor is any good or if i should get something better, if so any suggestions?

also do you know if that card will work with my MB properly (mine is PCIe 2.0 and that card is PCIe 3.0) i read some topics on it but i got mixed opinions about it.

i have seen some 8gb of ram from crucial ballistix i think it was called, is that any good? does it really matter what RAM you get, like the cheaper stuff? would 16gb of RAM be better or just overkill?

budget is really just a month to month thing when i get payed, but say about 200-300 pound on MB if i need to upgrade and a processor. i have money for RAM about 60-100 pound right now.

thanks for your time.

Your CPU might suffice for now. Definitely try it with the new GPU before buying anything.

Yes the GPU will work.

Crucial Ballistix is great RAM. No RAM speed and branding doesn't really matter. 16 GB is overkill today.
  4. Hi rich as i have read you ordered a 7950 its a good choice of card it should be able to play sll your games on ultra
    With your processor i cant say for sure all i know is that its a few generations behind and with your ram 16gb is overkill for gaming unless your playing cpu/ram intensive games in which case you might have to upgrade your cpu.
    So with the ram just upgrade to 8gb and i cant give you a suggestion on the processor as ive only ever had 1 amd gaming rig and i didnt much like it so i went back to intel.
    Goodluck rich i hope i helped
  5. thx for the info guys!

im glad the card will work on my MB, means less money on upgrades for now. i think ill go with the 8gb of RAM from crucial, its about £50 pound so well within my budget.

one more question tho, is there any way to tell if my CPU isnt up to scratch with the card. i heard of bottlenecking etc but how would i tell if it is? and is my power supply ok with the GPU card?

thanks.
  6. Beagle with your power supply it may have 2 6pin pcie power plugs which will plug into your gpu or it will have 1 8pin pcie and 1 6pin
    Sometimes it has only one 6 pin pcie in which case you will either have to use a molex to pcie adapter or buy a new powersupply.
  7. BeagleBeats said:
    thx for the info guys!

im glad the card will work on my MB, means less money on upgrades for now. i think ill go with the 8gb of RAM from crucial, its about £50 pound so well within my budget.

one more question tho, is there any way to tell if my CPU isnt up to scratch with the card. i heard of bottlenecking etc but how would i tell if it is? and is my power supply ok with the GPU card?

thanks.

Yes, fire up your favorite game and see if the performance is satisfactory. I thought that was kind of obvious.
  8. thanks so much for your replys, very gratefull, im one happy gamer, well i will be when i get my upgrades delivered!

cheers.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Systems