Annoying Delay & Green progress bar

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
I recently built new PC ... powered up 1 week ago.
ASUS P8Z77-LE Bios 0316
16 GB RAM
128 GB SSD (OS)
1TB HDD

Have strange issue, when I go to any files, I get a delay while a green progress bar runs across screen ... can be several seconds before I can access anything ?

Is there some setting I need to change .. it is annoying
Pic of this in progress:

http://www.mediafire.com/?cd0szo7zq0a8pfe

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
:/ the green bar is the thing telling you when you search a file the progess bar

what was the last oc you had because it seems to me your not used to it yet but you will get used to it

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
No that is not the case .. perhaps my description was unclear.
I only clicked on 'My Computer' and without performing any search .. the green progress bar takes some time to complete.

If I plug in a USB drive can take a very long time (30+ sec) again with no searches, simply just looking at 'my computer'
My last PC was W7 32 bit ... and it did not have this 'issue'

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
It does cause a significant problem with extrnal USB drives ... when I plug them in other PC's ... they work fine ... normal USB2 transfer rates

Whne I plug them in this PC, Green bar takes several minutes to complete to 100% and then incredibly slow transfters ... as low as 10kb/s

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
No ... I put in mobo, connected up drives .. powered up, installed OS ....

W7 installed whatever it needed, I have not installed any drivers for anything.
I did ask if here if there was anything I needed to do to mobo ... told no need just install OS on SSD first then plug in HDD.
Same I have not installed any drivers for MSI N560GTX-Hawk graphics card ... should I be installing drivers for mobo & graphics ?
I had assumed as they were detected by W7 ... it installed correct drivers.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
yes you need to install the drivers via the website dont trust windows with hardware drivers

also try updating your bios

Upate ALL your drivers from the websites if you cant find the updates you need just give me your HW and ill link you too them

dynamixii

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
The green bar is often caused by the OS loading and preparing thumbnails. It can also be caused by slow network connection. You can take care of the first issue by changing the following setting:

Explorer> Organize> Folder and Search Options> View> Always show icons, never thumbnails

This will tell the computer to open your folders with icons for each file instead of thumbnails which is the problem that causes the slowness.

Note, if your Explorer crashes, you won't be able to open another instance of it until you kill the explorer process. So, it is a good idea to run every Explorer in its own process, you might want to set the following.

Explorer> Organize> Folder and Search Options> View> Launch folder windows in a separate process

Hope this helps and regards

hermitdog42

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
I had experienced the same (or a similar) problem -- When Windows 7 tried to open a folder containing many videos, a green bar always moved across the folder location text field (at the top), causing considerable delays before I could watch any video. What solved the problem was adding that entire folder to my video player's playlist. My player is VLC -- and this solved the problem immediately.

OldMCSE

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014
I have seen multiple posts about this problem and it took me a while to find the root cause. For me, moving files to another hard drive, disabling the Windows indexing or setting the folder options to general did nothing. In my case the problem was ADAWARE antivirus. Once I removed it, my performance returned to normal.

Calico99

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014

BINGO!!!!!!!!!
This worked for me. Thanks for the tip.

jaylo

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014

Damn! that's it! you rescue another person! thanks alot! Once I turn off the real time protect, play video instantly!