Sign in with
Your question

Next-Gen Gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2012 3:32:50 PM

Let's talk about Next-Gen Consoles (playstaion 4 Orpis - Xbox 720 durango)

am going to start asking is the coming gaming consoles going to offer us at least the the visuals quality of animated Hollywood movies from 2002, because clearly the gaming graphics in modern games on PS3 didn't reach the "quality" of per-rendered animation movies like "ice age" on full-HD screen
also Microsoft promised that the graphics of the Xbox 720 will be the same as the movie "Avater" and Sony stated that no matter what the PS4 will be better graphics than the Xbox 720,
REALLY ? nex-gen consoles will offer not just quality of 2000s animated movies "which current consoles failed to do at 1080p,nex-gen offers AVATAR graphics quality with $500 hardware include things like kinect and controllers . . how is that possible ?

Note that the consoles are coming at the same time to compete, that mean that they will have the same price tag like $500~400 , and Microsoft Laked document shows that the Xbox will come pre loaded with kinect which include the total price which mean that it will keep less fro the internal hardware like CPU-GPU

any way, consoles are not affering things like GTX 680 in them, even so people who have high-end graphic card will be only playing games like BF3 which is the most demanding game and that's it, why Sony and Micosoft think that they will do more than high end PCs with less ?
i mean the most demanding demo is on the Geforce.com website and i saw it how is preform with GTX 690
the details are not "good enough" from the Fastest card on earth to offer :sleep: 

the only thing that i liked it is an E3 2012 Demo called " Agni's philosophy" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv4Boq4HLKU

but gaming is not about graphics, it's about gameplay too, and with new-consoles we will have new gaming experience and new things we couldn't imagine and maybe new games genres, more than FPS and 3rdPS and 2.5D, roleplay , racing . .

any way . . share with us what you think about next-gen gaming

More about : gen gaming

a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 3:36:37 PM

but for about 1 year console games will look for better because consoles optimize the s##t out of the gpu whereas pc games are poorly optimized
if you put a gtx 680 in a console it would be fine for about 5 years or so
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
July 27, 2012 3:58:52 PM

Leaked documents aren't known for their reliability - the piece of the puzzle that have been mentioned are: next gen video standards and the need for a new media format to support the size of the games. There will likely be a new video format being adopted in the near future which these consoles will likely want to take advantage of. It can be assumed we're going to go to QFHD (3840 X 2160) within the next 2-3 years (probably early adopters will have a couple of options by the end of 2013) and then UHDTV (7680 X 4320) down the road (6-8 years for early models). Though the industry would love to rely on digital distribution so that they don't have to worry about gamers waiting for "used" game prices to go down, unless ISP's go the way of Google and offer gigabyte download speed people I don't think they'll be able to expect games to wait 8 hours to download their newest title. If they stick with physical media, even double-layer BD discs don't have the density to handle that much storage. Replacing that format will be VERY expensive for new drives and media and I don't know how much that's going to push game prices (would you pay $100 for a game...I wouldn't).

To handle that video format, they either need to go with a monster quad processor and independent GPU or they need to get really flipping creative. Regardless, I think the price for next gen consoles will go up similar to what we saw from the ps2 ($299 at launch) to the ps3 ($499/$599 at launch). They'll need to do some polling to make sure consumers will be willing to poney up the cash for such a beast but I think Microsoft and Sony and make the consoles a complete multimedia package with a full web browser and continue to improve their content delivery services, I think we can expect a $699/$799 console battle.

I don't know how practical that's going to be, but it's the way things are trending. If they don't try to push the envelope with being able to display twice the pixels at launch and go the nintendo rout (ease of usage/gameplay "party" gaming), then I don't know wtf we can expect. I like what Sony accomplished with the PS3/PSP Vita mobile vs home console synergy. I would like to see Microsoft put their hat in the ring, but I don't see it happening unless they think they can profit in that marketplace. Considering the iPhone is the current reigning mobile game console, I don't think Microsoft wants to get into that ring.

Just my two bits...
Related resources
July 27, 2012 4:09:19 PM

All the talk about consoles producing hollywood-quality graphics (especially along the lines of Avatar) is pure marketing BS spouted by people who don't know anything at people who don't know anything.

I just hope that next-gen consoles can power Unreal Engine 4 quality graphics at 1080p. Current-gen does Unreal Engine 3 quality graphics at 720p, so the bump to UE4 @1080p would be sizeable.

The reason current consoles run "PC" games like Crysis 2 and BF3 is because they are only rendering them at like low-medium equivalent settings and most importantly, at 720p (typically slightly less than 720p) and typically only at 30fps (though some exceptions like CoD @ 60fps).

July 27, 2012 4:12:24 PM

game junky said:
It can be assumed we're going to go to QFHD (3840 X 2160) within the next 2-3 years (probably early adopters will have a couple of options by the end of 2013) and then UHDTV (7680 X 4320) down the road (6-8 years for early models).

I completely disagree. I think it can be assumed that everyone but the super rich are stuck with 1080p for a long time. We don't even have any consoles that render in 1080p yet, and most cable TV content is still 720p too. Blu-ray is the only thing that reliably takes advantage of 1080p.
July 27, 2012 4:36:05 PM

BigMack70 said:
I completely disagree. I think it can be assumed that everyone but the super rich are stuck with 1080p for a long time. We don't even have any consoles that render in 1080p yet, and most cable TV content is still 720p too. Blu-ray is the only thing that reliably takes advantage of 1080p.

But as all the websites stated that PlayStation 4 will support 4K resolution and 3D on 1080p
also most websites stated that xbox will use a same card as the HD 6670 or some thing, and the PS4 will use amd 7 series card with A8 AMD APU and the CPU+GPU will work together
also AMD 7 series is known that is can go up to 4K resolution
so that mean xbox will not ran 4K because it will use AMD 6 series

i think that hardcore games will run @ 1080p, and low visuals games will support 4K .
July 27, 2012 4:41:19 PM

hameem_1 said:
But as all the websites stated that Playstaion 4 will support 4K resolution
also most websites stated that xbox will use a same card as the HD 7660 or some thing with A8 AMD APU

Source(s)?

Anyways, it sounds like you've been drinking the marketing hype/rumor mill Koolaid. I wouldn't be surprised if the next gen consoles keep to the same current tactic of rendering things at 720p and then upscaling the output so that the clueless masses think they're getting full HD or 4K or whatever resolution when in reality they're getting the same old 720p. You could output the resolution at 400K but if it's only rendered at 720p then it doesn't matter. The rendering resolution is what matters and I can't see them going beyond 1080p (if they even make it to that).
July 28, 2012 1:56:37 PM

is this the next PlayStation GPU :

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/71-graphics/46070-im...

it says that it can deliver up to 1 TFLOP which is better than Radeon HD 7750
which is faster than the HD 6670 which rumors says that Xbox 720 will use
the GPU manufacture is "Imagination'' PowerVR 6XXX
what's really interesting is that Sony used the PowerVR 543MP4 GPU in the PS Vita which make as think that Sony was testing the quality and performance of Imagination products
but if that is true. . why will Sony be using a mobile low power consumption GPU on home consoles that is plugged-in for electricity all the time ?
OR is Imagination are working for a bigger and more power hungry GPU for the next playstaion ?
i mean if this company make a Mobile GPU for mobile phones that out perform the HD 7750 then how a full desktop-console GPU will be ?

any way . . what you think ?
July 28, 2012 7:45:06 PM

where are the replies ?
July 28, 2012 7:52:28 PM

hameem_1 said:
where are the replies ?

You're the only one here drinking the console hype/rumor-mill koolaid my friend.

Come back when there is real info to talk about. I'm sure you could go over to a site like IGN and stir up a good ol' Playstation vs Xbox fanboy war with stuff like this, though.
July 28, 2012 8:27:23 PM

i was thinking that this is "geeks" forum . . looks not ..

moving on . .
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 10:54:11 PM

Well it is way easier for it to optimize so that is one thing. Consoles really do work differently than a home computer because they are all the same, and I think BF3 on full looks better than avatar. Like it is really getting close to photo realism.
a c 92 U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 11:07:07 PM

As of now it looks like PS4 and XBOX720 will both have subpar hardware compared to PCs. Its not like they really need it as consoles will max at 1080p and considering that is only 2x the pixels of 720p which is what the 360 and ps3 renders now, its not hard. Any low end graphics card is like 5x more powerful than the consoles and with more ram and optimization for the new consoles, they should have no problem delivering good gaming graphics at 1080p.

I would think both consoles will be pretty low end in terms of graphics performance because as of now, 1080p can easily be rendered with 4x AA by a 7750 if the code is well optimized. Consoles will have on die ram so the AA would take even less performance toll.
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 11:14:46 PM

hameem_1 said:
i was thinking that this is "geeks" forum . . looks not ..

moving on . .

We are geeks, just not stupid mindless trolls that fight over trivial things like speculation of the next gen consoles and scream at each other like children. Even though the next gen consoles could possibly use current midrange cards, they will still outperform a PC with the same specs like for example, the original XBOX had an old PIII and Geforce3 GPU. The reason why it surpassed the mightiest rigs of the time was because it did not use a bus like AGP. There was no bandwidth limitations between the CPU and the GPU like on PCs. Also Consoles have a few purposes; gaming and multimedia content vs a PC being used for a far larger use, hence better optimizations of their hardware vs a PC. By the time those consoles drop, I think PC will already be ahead by at least a year, if not more at the rate of PC tech innovation.

Battlefield looks good, but Avatar still looks far better, but that was rendered using multimillion dollar machines working together. It may be a few years before we truly see Avatar like graphics, it's getting closer with each new gen of GPU hardware. :ouch: 

I do look forward to unreal Engine 4 based games. Watchdogs looked sick this past E3. The cloth simulation looks wicked. I really hope more games take advantage of PhysX, I felt Battlefield 3 would have performed much better if PhysX was implemented freeing up a larger range of older/lower end CPU's to play the game good with a good GPU.
!