Sign in with
Your question

Laptop for Video Editing

Last response: in Systems
September 15, 2012 1:05:13 PM

Hello, I am looking for a laptop to get for video editing. the requirements are; Run Sony Vegas Pro 11 with a preview of Best(Full), 15" screen or bigger, budget $1000-$1500 and also a battery life of a min 5 hours. So far i am looking at a Dell Inspiron 17r Special Edition for $1388AUD.

Is this the best I can get for that money. If not what is the best I can get.

More about : laptop video editing

a b D Laptop
September 15, 2012 7:40:07 PM

"Vegas Pro™ 11 leverages the processing capabilities of modern GPUs (Graphic Processing Units) using the industry-standard OpenCL™ framework. " Grab a laptop with a GPU that's good at openCL acceleration. GPU will be more power efficient for video edit than cpu and faster.

The Dell you spec'd is certainly strong however if you really want 5 hours..."battery life is underwhelming, but that’s the only real weakness in the Inspiron 17R SE." http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-17R-SE-7720....

Suggest you assume an intel i5, then look for long battery life with a dedicated graphics card for your vegas edit/render. Check vegas for recommended memory size.
m
l
a b D Laptop
September 15, 2012 7:57:34 PM

you'll not get a battery life anywhere near what you're looking for - on any laptop that isn't a small desktop!
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2012 2:30:36 AM

dingo07 said:
you'll not get a battery life anywhere near what you're looking for - on any laptop that isn't a small desktop!

Actually, it's no problem. I have a lenovo T420 with i5. It gets 6+ hours battery doing simple tasks. It has a high end video card that is only used when you need to crank video -- then it pulls power and battery life drops fast. But when used like a netbook its battery lasts forever.
m
l
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2012 3:42:35 AM

tsnor said:
Actually, it's no problem. I have a lenovo T420 with i5. It gets 6+ hours battery doing simple tasks. It has a high end video card that is only used when you need to crank video -- then it pulls power and battery life drops fast. But when used like a netbook its battery lasts forever.

Most laptops can last up to 7-8 hours doing menial tasks (if power settings are setup properly) but that's not the intended use for the OP
m
l
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2012 11:58:10 AM

dingo07 said:
Most laptops can last up to 7-8 hours doing menial tasks (if power settings are setup properly) but that's not the intended use for the OP

We interpret the OP differently. He asked for long battery life and video edit. You think he meant long sessions of video edit, I think he meant those as separate actions. Both are reasonable thoughts. Since the OP is MIA so we'll never know. Have a good one.
m
l
!