Q: Hunters scatter shot

Erik

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

1. Is it worth spending a point on scatter shot if I don't play PvP?
2. The new scatter shot will take me out of combat. Will my pet also stop
attacking the target?
3. The target will be confused for 4 sec. Will this give me time to set a
freezing trap?

Cheers,
Erik.

Erik wrote:
> 1. Is it worth spending a point on scatter shot if I don't play PvP?
> 2. The new scatter shot will take me out of combat. Will my pet also stop
> attacking the target?
> 3. The target will be confused for 4 sec. Will this give me time to set a
> freezing trap?

I can't answer 1 or 2 as I don't have scatter shot. Freezing Trap is
instant cast so I would think that you would have time to set one up.

Also, you can use Feign Death to set a freezing trap in combat. Have
one macro set up to cast feign death and stop your pet from attacking.
When you activate it you'll be able to lay your trap whilst still
feigned (although it will wake you up). In my testing after I set it
up it worked all the time against mobs. I have heard that it isn't 100%
reliable and that it seems to be less reliable against players.

steve.kaye

> 1. Is it worth spending a point on scatter shot if I don't play PvP?

No

> 2. The new scatter shot will take me out of combat. Will my pet also stop
> attacking the target?

No, but you can make a macro that puts your pet into passive mode and shoots
scattershot.

> 3. The target will be confused for 4 sec. Will this give me time to set a
> freezing trap?

Yes, but you'll need to get your pet into passive mode (see above) for it to
work. It's the same effect as disengage for the purposes of trap laying.

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:09:36 GMT, "Erik" <eransoft@_nospam_start.no>
scribed into the ether:

>1. Is it worth spending a point on scatter shot if I don't play PvP?

Can be. It works on mobs too.

>2. The new scatter shot will take me out of combat. Will my pet also stop
>attacking the target?

No. Your pet either needs to be absent, or you need to order it to quit
attacking, or you'll just end up in combat mode again.

>3. The target will be confused for 4 sec. Will this give me time to set a
>freezing trap?

Yes. Freezing traps are set instantly. The animation is optional.

Urbin wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:09:36 GMT, Erik <eransoft@_nospam_start.no> wrote:
>
> > 1. Is it worth spending a point on scatter shot if I don't play PvP?
>
> Previous to patch 1.7 I would have said yes unconditionally. Now, after the
> patch I am still trying to figure out how to best use scatter shot
>
> > 2. The new scatter shot will take me out of combat. Will my pet also
> > stop attacking the target?
>
> Before the patch it did not. After the patch, it seems to. At least that
> was my experience last night. Whenever I used scatter shot, I had to order
> my pet to re-attack if I wanted it to.
>
> > 3. The target will be confused for 4 sec. Will this give me time to set a
> > freezing trap?
>
> Despite the fact that all other posters say you can, I am not able to set
> traps after scatter shot (nor eat, drink, mount) as the game tells me that I
> am still in combat. This despite the fact that the patch claims that I will
> no go out of combat and the fact that my pet stops attacking a mob.
>
> Does anyone have any hints?

I think that the text is worded incorrectly. "Should now cancel combat
mode" for me would mean that it brings you out of combat and allow
traps to be laid but it could just be a mis-wording and could also mean
that it just turns off auto-attack. I think that the aim is that you
stop attacking so that you don't break the stun with your next attack.

steve.kaye

Urbin wrote:

> > > Despite the fact that all other posters say you can, I am not able to set
> > > traps after scatter shot (nor eat, drink, mount) as the game tells me that I
> > > am still in combat. This despite the fact that the patch claims that I will
> > > no go out of combat and the fact that my pet stops attacking a mob.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any hints?
> >
> > I think that the text is worded incorrectly. "Should now cancel combat
> > mode" for me would mean that it brings you out of combat and allow
> > traps to be laid
>
> That's how I interpreted it.
>
> > but it could just be a mis-wording and could also mean that it just turns
> > off auto-attack. I think that the aim is that you stop attacking so that
> > you don't break the stun with your next attack.
>
> Ah, I guess that makes sense. This coincides with my experience last night.
> It's a shame you can't lay traps, though :-( And of course it won't do a fat
> lot if you have a dot on the mob...

I've set up a button to run a script which calls my pet off and casts
Feign Death on the first press and then casts Freezing Trap on the next
press. It worked well in my testing but I've not had chance to use it
in PvP yet.

steve.kaye

alex

"Erik" <eransoft@_nospam_start.no> wrote in message
> 1. Is it worth spending a point on scatter shot if I don't play PvP?

Interrupts casting. Usually drops or at least stops runners and can be fired
at under normal minimum range. I'd say it was worth it PvE

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:09:36 GMT, Erik <eransoft@_nospam_start.no> wrote:

> 1. Is it worth spending a point on scatter shot if I don't play PvP?

Previous to patch 1.7 I would have said yes unconditionally. Now, after the
patch I am still trying to figure out how to best use scatter shot

> 2. The new scatter shot will take me out of combat. Will my pet also
> stop attacking the target?

Before the patch it did not. After the patch, it seems to. At least that
was my experience last night. Whenever I used scatter shot, I had to order
my pet to re-attack if I wanted it to.

> 3. The target will be confused for 4 sec. Will this give me time to set a
> freezing trap?

Despite the fact that all other posters say you can, I am not able to set
traps after scatter shot (nor eat, drink, mount) as the game tells me that I
am still in combat. This despite the fact that the patch claims that I will
no go out of combat and the fact that my pet stops attacking a mob.

Does anyone have any hints?

Cheers
Urbin

--
Urbin (57), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gera (14), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

On 16 Sep 2005 02:43:21 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

> > > 3. The target will be confused for 4 sec. Will this give me time to set a
> > > freezing trap?
> >
> > Despite the fact that all other posters say you can, I am not able to set
> > traps after scatter shot (nor eat, drink, mount) as the game tells me that I
> > am still in combat. This despite the fact that the patch claims that I will
> > no go out of combat and the fact that my pet stops attacking a mob.
> >
> > Does anyone have any hints?
>
> I think that the text is worded incorrectly. "Should now cancel combat
> mode" for me would mean that it brings you out of combat and allow
> traps to be laid

That's how I interpreted it.

On 16 Sep 2005 03:46:44 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

> I've set up a button to run a script which calls my pet off and casts
> Feign Death on the first press and then casts Freezing Trap on the next
> press. It worked well in my testing but I've not had chance to use it
> in PvP yet.

I would very much like to get a copy of that macro. Can you publish it here?

Eternally grateful
Urbin

--

Urbin wrote:
> On 16 Sep 2005 03:46:44 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I've set up a button to run a script which calls my pet off and casts
> > Feign Death on the first press and then casts Freezing Trap on the next
> > press. It worked well in my testing but I've not had chance to use it
> > in PvP yet.
>
> I would very much like to get a copy of that macro. Can you publish it here?

I'll try to remember to do this when I home tonight. I do use FlexBar
and so it is a script designed to run with that. I'll see if I can
translate it to a script to run off a macro button.

steve.kaye

Urbin wrote:
> On 16 Sep 2005 03:46:44 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I've set up a button to run a script which calls my pet off and casts
> > Feign Death on the first press and then casts Freezing Trap on the next
> > press. It worked well in my testing but I've not had chance to use it
> > in PvP yet.
>
> I would very much like to get a copy of that macro. Can you publish it here?

Sorry it's taken so long - I don't read usenet on the weekends. Here
is the macro:

/script PetPassiveMode()
/cast Feign Death
/cast Freezing Trap

On the second tap you can't cast Feign Death because your already
feigning so it casts the Freezing Trap which failed the first time due
to the one spell/ability per button press rule.

steve.kaye

Urbin wrote:

> On 16 Sep 2005 03:46:44 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I've set up a button to run a script which calls my pet off and casts
> > Feign Death on the first press and then casts Freezing Trap on the next
> > press. It worked well in my testing but I've not had chance to use it
> > in PvP yet.
>
> I would very much like to get a copy of that macro. Can you publish it here?

I've replied twice to this but it seems that google groups is playing
up. The macro is:

/script PetPassiveMode()
/cast Feign Death
/cast Freezing Trap

First time you press it you Feign Death and the second time Freezing
Trap is cast.

steve.kaye

On 19 Sep 2005 08:34:00 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

> Urbin wrote:
>
> > I would very much like to get a copy of that macro. Can you publish it here?
>
> Sorry it's taken so long - I don't read usenet on the weekends. Here
> is the macro:
>
> /script PetPassiveMode()
> /cast Feign Death
> /cast Freezing Trap
>
> On the second tap you can't cast Feign Death because your already
> feigning so it casts the Freezing Trap which failed the first time due
> to the one spell/ability per button press rule.

Great, thanks a bunch.

Cheers
Urbin

--
Urbin (59), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

On 19 Sep 2005 12:26:40 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

> Urbin wrote:
>
> > On 16 Sep 2005 03:46:44 -0700, steve.kaye <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've set up a button to run a script which calls my pet off and casts
> > > Feign Death on the first press and then casts Freezing Trap on the next
> > > press. It worked well in my testing but I've not had chance to use it
> > > in PvP yet.
> >
> > I would very much like to get a copy of that macro. Can you publish it here?
>
> I've replied twice to this but it seems that google groups is playing
> up. The macro is:
>
> /script PetPassiveMode()
> /cast Feign Death
> /cast Freezing Trap
>
> First time you press it you Feign Death and the second time Freezing
> Trap is cast.

Your first post got through, but thanks for making sure.

Cheers
Urbin