Default choice in XP shutdown menu

Hi,

I have XP Pro running on a laptop, and I would like to set the default
choice in the 'shutdown windows' dialog box dropdown.

That is, when I hit start-shutdown I get a dialog where I am asked
'what would you like to do' and I can choose, restart, shutdown,
logoff, hibernate.

I would like to set this to always show 'shutdown'

The way it is now, it seems like it defaults to whatever I picked last.
I would like some other behaviour, I would like it to always show
'shutdown' and the default choice(selected item)

Thanks for your time and your help,

CJB
2 answers Last reply
More about default choice shutdown menu

    Thanks for the reply.

    I certainly could do that, and it would give me more controll, but it
    is not for me, it is for end users.

    I would really like to be able to change the default setting on the
    'shutdown windows' dialog box.

    Thanks again for your reply,

    CJB

    I am no expert, but you could set up a .bat file with the shutdown command
    in it

    To force shutdown use the -s parameter,

    so the .bat file would read
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown -s

    Put a shortcut to this on the desktop and click it to execute. Or you could
    drag it to the QuickLaunch bar
    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L.

    cjb@goldmancg.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have XP Pro running on a laptop, and I would like to set the default
    > choice in the 'shutdown windows' dialog box dropdown.
    >
    > That is, when I hit start-shutdown I get a dialog where I am asked
    > 'what would you like to do' and I can choose, restart, shutdown,
    > logoff, hibernate.
    >
    > I would like to set this to always show 'shutdown'
    >
    > The way it is now, it seems like it defaults to whatever I picked
    > last. I would like some other behaviour, I would like it to always
    > show 'shutdown' and the default choice(selected item)
    >
    > Thanks for your time and your help,
    >
    > CJB

Configuration Shutdown Windows XP