Default choice in XP shutdown menu

August 10, 2005 4:47:15 PM

Hi,

I have XP Pro running on a laptop, and I would like to set the default
choice in the 'shutdown windows' dialog box dropdown.

That is, when I hit start-shutdown I get a dialog where I am asked
'what would you like to do' and I can choose, restart, shutdown,
logoff, hibernate.

I would like to set this to always show 'shutdown'

The way it is now, it seems like it defaults to whatever I picked last.
I would like some other behaviour, I would like it to always show
'shutdown' and the default choice(selected item)

Thanks for your time and your help,

CJB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:25:20 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I certainly could do that, and it would give me more controll, but it
is not for me, it is for end users.

I would really like to be able to change the default setting on the
'shutdown windows' dialog box.

Thanks again for your reply,

CJB
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:55:22 PM

I am no expert, but you could set up a .bat file with the shutdown command
in it

To force shutdown use the -s parameter,

so the .bat file would read
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown -s

Put a shortcut to this on the desktop and click it to execute. Or you could
drag it to the QuickLaunch bar
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.