Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dual (SLI) GE Force 9600 GSO Upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2012 4:04:23 PM

Hello:
Is is birthday gift time for my better half and I am considering a graphics card update as a present. The current system has an I-5 750 CPU but when that upgrade was made the old GE Force 9600 GSO SLI configuration was transferred.

I am considering a descrete (1) EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... as an upgrade.

Early in the year I partially upgraded my system and the GTX 560 TI is the card I selected. For the games most often played (Guild Wars 2) it is rated excellent. While I am sure there are even better (more expensive choices) I am thinking that when the I-5 system gets rebuilt I could run dual 560TI's in my newest Ivy Bridge I-7 3770K , Asus P8Z77-VPro system and further it's useful life.

Question:

Will a descrete GTX 560 TI Significantly :bounce:  increase graphics performance versus the dual GE Force 9600 GSO cards? The updated system is also getting a Samsung SB350_S27B350H (HDMI) monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank you.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 4:54:17 PM

Yes a GTX 560ti will definitely be a ton better than the 2 x 9600gso. Also, the i5-750 isn't that bad a CPU either, you could probably hold out until Haswell, but I won't discourage you from putting together a nice Ivy Bridge setup.

The board you linked is icky pricey - what about this one with higher clocks for a lot less?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or maybe you want a 2gb version to help avoid a vram bottleneck: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Either way, they'll be huge upgrades to the 2x 9600gso. And very necessary for gaming on your new monitor. The 9600gsos just won't cut it.
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 5:36:17 PM

Just upgrade the card, even Ivy Bridge really isn't enough of an upgrade over first gen Core i5/7 enough to be worth the cost. Plus the older 1156 platform is very very easy to overclock and is the last of the line when it comes to easy overclocking without the need of an unlocked multiplier.
m
l
a c 193 U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 5:38:40 PM

If you're going to game, don't get the i7 (unless you already have it). Its kind of a waste of money.

And the 560Ti would be a considerable upgrade over the 9600's.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 5:41:41 PM

Deemo13 said:
If you're going to game, don't get the i7 (unless you already have it). Its kind of a waste of money.

I have seen some complaints that in BF3 hyper threading has caused some issues but I haven't looked into it any further.

Just stay with what you have at this time and the gains are not enough at stock speeds if you were to upgrade to Ivy Bridge. If you want to go with 1155 based rig then try to hunt down a i5 2500k. The reason to pass up Ivy Bridge is mainly better overclocking and lower temps over all event at stock speeds due to Intel being cheap.
m
l
July 27, 2012 5:50:35 PM

larkspur said:
Yes a GTX 560ti will definitely be a ton better than the 2 x 9600gso. Also, the i5-750 isn't that bad a CPU either, you could probably hold out until Haswell, but I won't discourage you from putting together a nice Ivy Bridge setup.

The board you linked is icky pricey - what about this one with higher clocks for a lot less?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or maybe you want a 2gb version to help avoid a vram bottleneck: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Either way, they'll be huge upgrades to the 2x 9600gso. And very necessary for gaming on your new monitor. The 9600gsos just won't cut it.

Hi Larkspur:

Thank you very much for your reply. As usual I did not make myself very clear.

The second system, the Ivy Bridge I7 3770K on the Asus P8Z77-V Pro is my new system. I waited for the Ivy Bridge to upgrade my LGA 775 system. However, I did an interim upgrade on my old LGA 775 finding a low priced Q6850 Extreme (now #4 on Tom's CPU list) on eBay. At that time I switched-out my GE Force 7600 GS for the EVGA 560 Ti and upgraded the power supply, too. I pulled the GTX 560 Ti and the power supply for my new Ivy Bridge system.

So even though a little pricy I want to have matching EVGA GTX 560 Ti's. That way when the I5 system (my better half's) gets rebuilt (in a couple of years) I can pull the second 560 Ti and use it in my Ivy Bridge system in SLI mode. (TMI: The 2 9600 gso's will go into my old LGA 775 with the Q6550 making a passable gaming machine to hand down.)

To make a long story short, Thank You. Based on your advice I will purchase the matching (pricy) EVGA 560 Ti as well as the monitor for my better's half's birthday. We usually try to keep our machines within 3 steps of each other on Tom's CPU Gaming chart.
m
l
July 27, 2012 5:56:45 PM

Deemo13 said:

Thank you...I ddi not make my question perfectly clear (two different systems: see response to larkspur if interested) but everyone agrees the 560Ti will be a significant improvement.

Thank you for your tiem & help.
m
l
July 27, 2012 5:58:09 PM

nforce4max said:
Just upgrade the card, even Ivy Bridge really isn't enough of an upgrade over first gen Core i5/7 enough to be worth the cost. Plus the older 1156 platform is very very easy to overclock and is the last of the line when it comes to easy overclocking without the need of an unlocked multiplier.

Thank you...I ddi not make my question perfectly clear (two different systems: see response to larkspur if interested) but everyone agrees the 560Ti will be a significant improvement.

Thank you for your time & help.
m
l
July 27, 2012 6:00:26 PM

Best answer selected by raykoke.
m
l
July 27, 2012 6:01:43 PM

raykoke said:

Thank you for your time & help.

I think the 7850 or 7870 would be a better upgrade like larkspur said for around the same price. Plus it saves on energy since it's made on a 28nm process versus 40nm
m
l
July 27, 2012 6:14:07 PM

MrPintar14 said:
I think the 7850 or 7870 would be a better upgrade like larkspur said for around the same price. Plus it saves on energy since it's made on a 28nm process versus 40nm

I am quite certain you are both correct.

However, I am a "youngster" so I am not sure but I assume there would be no way to run a 7850 or a 7870 in SLI mode paired with the existing EVGA 560 Ti. If that is even possible I would like to know.

I also assume that as time marches by I could pull the new 560 Ti and have a pair of matching 560Ti's in my I7 system. I figured it would be an improvement and extend the I7's systems useful life.

Of course, at that time a new graphics card will be purchased for the next (i5 system) rebuild (in a few years).
m
l
!