System is turning off automatically.

HI All,

I was supposed to buy intel 17 2nd gen processor but the dealer somehow probed me that amd fx-8150 is better than intel in terms of gaming and so i bought this worse processor and spent a lot of money building this so called high end gaming pc. My system configuration is as follows:-

amd fx-8150 with standard cooling fan
zotac gtx 560 2gb gddr5 graphic card
8 gb ddr3 ram
500 watt psu

I'm able to play Max Payne 3, CODMW3, NFS HP at high resolutions with processor noise, but when i start playing gta4 initial 3 minutes the game runs well and then starts lagging like no graphic card is installed. Also when i play Just Cause 2 it runs awesome but when any visual effects like 'Blast' occures, my so called gaming pc turns off :( .
Is this due to overheating of processor? I'm running my processor at the base frequency only i.e. 3.6 ghz

So now shall i replace AMD with Intel or my system needs any extra upgrades like cooling fans.

Please help me out.
10 answers Last reply
More about system turning automatically
  1. Get HWMonitor and run it while playing a game and see what your cpu and gpu temps are. My guess is that your gpu is overheating.
  2. Yaah, my gpu is overheating. So how can i overcome this problem?
    All 8 core of CPUtemp goes to 39 degree C having max 40 degree C and GPU temp reaches max temp i.e. 51 degree C.
  3. Those temps aren't high...how long did you test for? Your gpu shouldn't shut down until the 80-90C. There are benchmarks like MSI kombustor that will stress the gpu and provide temps during the stress. I wish my gpus were at 51C :P
  4. for gaming, GPU is far more important than CPU. You probably should have bought a higher end video card and a slightly cheaper processor. Live and learn.
  5. crewton said:
    Those temps aren't high...how long did you test for? Your gpu shouldn't shut down until the 80-90C. There are benchmarks like MSI kombustor that will stress the gpu and provide temps during the stress. I wish my gpus were at 51C :P

I tested it for 15 to 20 mins.
  6. I think this issue is due to OS. In readme section of gta 4 it is written that compatible os is win sp1/2 and vista and and my current os is win 7. Also i want to know for best performance AMD processors recommends purchasing AMD gpu's rather than nvidia and so i purchased a wrong gpu? :(
  7. Vista and Win7 is basically the same so I don't think that's the problem. Almost all games won't take advantage of more than 2 cores on a processor, so for gaming, anything more than four cores is a waste, and yes, intel processors have been slightly faster than AMD recently. You could have used a smaller, cheaper processor, by either company, and a much better GPU, by either company. Salesman was doing his job, which is to sell something.

what's the make and model of the motherboard?
  8. egilbe said:
    Vista and Win7 is basically the same so I don't think that's the problem. Almost all games won't take advantage of more than 2 cores on a processor, so for gaming, anything more than four cores is a waste, and yes, intel processors have been slightly faster than AMD recently. You could have used a smaller, cheaper processor, by either company, and a much better GPU, by either company. Salesman was doing his job, which is to sell something.

what's the make and model of the motherboard?

Motherboard:- Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
  9. All windows updates and newest drivers installed?
  10. egilbe said:
    All windows updates and newest drivers installed?

I've windows 7 cracked version and motherboard drivers and gpu drivers(vr. 280) are old.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Processors Intel Systems