Sign in with
Your question

System is turning off automatically.

Last response: in Systems
September 15, 2012 3:34:25 PM

HI All,

I was supposed to buy intel 17 2nd gen processor but the dealer somehow probed me that amd fx-8150 is better than intel in terms of gaming and so i bought this worse processor and spent a lot of money building this so called high end gaming pc. My system configuration is as follows:-

amd fx-8150 with standard cooling fan
zotac gtx 560 2gb gddr5 graphic card
8 gb ddr3 ram
500 watt psu

I'm able to play Max Payne 3, CODMW3, NFS HP at high resolutions with processor noise, but when i start playing gta4 initial 3 minutes the game runs well and then starts lagging like no graphic card is installed. Also when i play Just Cause 2 it runs awesome but when any visual effects like 'Blast' occures, my so called gaming pc turns off :(  .
Is this due to overheating of processor? I'm running my processor at the base frequency only i.e. 3.6 ghz

So now shall i replace AMD with Intel or my system needs any extra upgrades like cooling fans.

Please help me out.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 15, 2012 5:21:08 PM

Get HWMonitor and run it while playing a game and see what your cpu and gpu temps are. My guess is that your gpu is overheating.
September 15, 2012 6:39:14 PM

Yaah, my gpu is overheating. So how can i overcome this problem?
All 8 core of CPUtemp goes to 39 degree C having max 40 degree C and GPU temp reaches max temp i.e. 51 degree C.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 15, 2012 8:54:08 PM

Those temps aren't high...how long did you test for? Your gpu shouldn't shut down until the 80-90C. There are benchmarks like MSI kombustor that will stress the gpu and provide temps during the stress. I wish my gpus were at 51C :p 
September 15, 2012 9:11:53 PM

for gaming, GPU is far more important than CPU. You probably should have bought a higher end video card and a slightly cheaper processor. Live and learn.
September 16, 2012 7:41:23 AM

crewton said:
Those temps aren't high...how long did you test for? Your gpu shouldn't shut down until the 80-90C. There are benchmarks like MSI kombustor that will stress the gpu and provide temps during the stress. I wish my gpus were at 51C :p 

I tested it for 15 to 20 mins.
September 16, 2012 7:53:14 AM

I think this issue is due to OS. In readme section of gta 4 it is written that compatible os is win sp1/2 and vista and and my current os is win 7. Also i want to know for best performance AMD processors recommends purchasing AMD gpu's rather than nvidia and so i purchased a wrong gpu? :( 
September 16, 2012 12:52:24 PM

Vista and Win7 is basically the same so I don't think that's the problem. Almost all games won't take advantage of more than 2 cores on a processor, so for gaming, anything more than four cores is a waste, and yes, intel processors have been slightly faster than AMD recently. You could have used a smaller, cheaper processor, by either company, and a much better GPU, by either company. Salesman was doing his job, which is to sell something.

what's the make and model of the motherboard?
September 16, 2012 1:56:37 PM

egilbe said:
Vista and Win7 is basically the same so I don't think that's the problem. Almost all games won't take advantage of more than 2 cores on a processor, so for gaming, anything more than four cores is a waste, and yes, intel processors have been slightly faster than AMD recently. You could have used a smaller, cheaper processor, by either company, and a much better GPU, by either company. Salesman was doing his job, which is to sell something.

what's the make and model of the motherboard?

Motherboard:- Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
September 16, 2012 2:00:39 PM

All windows updates and newest drivers installed?
September 16, 2012 2:08:29 PM

egilbe said:
All windows updates and newest drivers installed?

I've windows 7 cracked version and motherboard drivers and gpu drivers(vr. 280) are old.
!