GTX680 vertical lines

bori85

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
When playing games I have very slight black lines flashing on my screen at random frequency and location, more so on low-graphic settings/games than high and relatively equal on any resolution or refresh rate. I've noticed them very very slightly when not playing games also, but sometimes they seem not to occur at all. Monitor is about four years old, card is just out of the box. All drivers are up to date. If there's any details I'm leaving out, let me know, never used any tech forums before.

bori85

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
The lines seem to be static and fluttering, not tears, and mostly only visible when looking at dark texture. Would that indicate GPU damage or monitor damage or neither? Anybody have any ideas?

nafoni

Honorable
May 18, 2012
If your monitor was working properly before, it's most likely your GPU. If you have the ability to do so, try a different GPU in that machine and see if those lines disappear or not.

Again - sounds like a bad GPU. You should return it.

bori85

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Well, I'm in contact with Nvidia support to see if they can diagnose it. We'll see how it goes. I'm trying not to assume the worst, which would be a bad card. My monitor was tugged around and left in storage for quite awhile, but I also built this computer in another state and..well..computers and shipping tend to have trouble together. Wouldn't be surprised if the seeds of the GPU got mashed, they look fine though.

bori85

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Okay, so some time later I still have the same problem. Tried new card, new monitor, still broke. If anyone can give me any insight I'd greatly appreciate it.

shiftlesst

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hey Bori, I have the same problem, and i'm wondering if you are having an issue with your video cable. I am using an HDMI cable with an adapter, and over the course of my computers life the cable has been sitting at an angle and slightly bending the adapter where it connects to the card. I moved it to a different angle and it seems to reduce/remove the tearing effect. HDMI's are cheap, so you can try a different one and test this out.

To be honest it may also be EMI from the cable and my new fans, but either way the effect is reduced, so won't hurt to give it a try.

Good luck on your endeavors, I love my card, and I hope you will too.

bori85

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
tried multiple cables in different positions, maybe made a small difference. glad you got it working better for yourself though. nafoni, i literally know one person anymore that uses a pc and they live halfway across the country.