Sign in with
Your question

Computer Freezing Issue - Sorry to bother everyone :-(

Last response: in Systems
September 15, 2012 3:40:58 PM

Hey everyone. I'm dealing with a really bad computer freezing issue. No BSOD issue or slow processing issue, just a really annoying freezing issue. First off here are my specs:

SSD: 128GB OCZ Vertex 3
HDDs:1 TB Seagate 7200 SATA 3 (Windows Drive)
2 TB Seagate Green
500 GB Seagate 7200
500 GB Seagate 7200
PSU: 900 W Antec PSU
CPU:i7-960 3.20 GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H70 High Performance Hydro CPU Cooler
RAM: (4x 3) 12 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHZ
MOBO: EVGA X58 SLI 3
GPU: 1 EVGA GTX 260

Drivers are up do date on GPU and SSD and BIOS is up to date. I am not overclocking. Freezing happens at various CPU and RAM usage. Sometimes PC freezes on boot up, right after logging in, and it always freezes while watching a high quality video and/or converting video files. GPU temperature is normally at 60 C and maxes out at 65 C when playing a video and converting files. CPU stays at 29 C and the CPU cores are around 45 C.

History of PC Setup -

1. Tried OCZ Vertex 3 as boot drive. Turns out this SSD is infamous for having BSOD and instability issues especially with the sandforce/SATA 3 controller on my EVGA X58 MOBO.
2. I decided to make my 1 TB my boot drive and use SSD as programs drive. Still having freezing issues
3. Removed SSD from PC and installed programs on 1 TB drive. Still freezes.
4. Removed boot drive from SATA 3 and put it into regualr AHCI mode. Still freezes.
5. Put PC in IDE mode. Still freezes.
6. Updated drivers. Still Freezes
7. Cleaned the registry with Ccleaner. Still freezes.
8. Unplugged all HDDs but boot drive. Still freezes.
9. Set most BIOS settings to default

I'm out of ideas. I don't think this is a GPU issue, an HDD issue, a Windows issue, or an overheating issue with the CPU or GPU. The drivers that I think are crucial are up to date but maybe I'm missing something. I need advice because this is a really tiring issue and like I said, I'm out of ideas other than finding a new mobo.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 15, 2012 4:59:35 PM

Quote:
CPU stays at 29 C and the CPU cores are around 45 C

?? So it's 29c and 45c at the same time??

If you gpu only goes up 5c when your gaming, then whatever program your using to check the temps is wrong cause that's impossible.

m
l
September 15, 2012 5:46:06 PM

No gaming. Just video and converting. Ya those temperatures confused me too but I don't have a clue what half this stuff means. I'm being told it's probably my RAM. I have 12 GB of RAM but Windows only has 8 GB as "useable." Typical issue with my mobo. Anyway I did a memtest and it passed, I'll try running it with inly 8 GB of RAM and leave a stick out and see what happens.
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2012 2:40:24 AM

Ok so my BIOS only says it sees 8GB even though Windows says there are 12GB plugged in but only 8 GB usable. Could this still just be a voltage issue or something else?
m
l
September 16, 2012 2:41:11 AM

Removed 1 stick of ram. Still freezes.
m
l
September 16, 2012 3:49:47 AM

Ok I think the main culprit is video or maybe audio. I MAXED out the RAM for about 10 minutes by opening u a bunch of photos and I MAXED out the CPU for 10 minutes by converting 8 videos at once. No issues, no freezes. Once I play a video the PC freezes after a few minutes. I haven't tried playing a song on itunes yet but playing a video gives me a freeze no matter what. Even just playing a video by itself freezes the system but it ranges from 5 minutes to 30 minutes unless I start converting videos then it only takes a couple minutes to get the system to freeze. Any advice?
m
l
September 17, 2012 3:06:01 AM

Update and Solved

I thought my PC drivers were updated until somebody told me to download a driver updater. I ignorantly assumed checking if drivers were updated in the device manager was the best way. Wrong. I had over 20 out dated drivers. Updated those and problem is solved.

For the record I used slimdrive. It's a Free version of a program.
m
l
September 17, 2012 3:07:17 PM

Well now that you've updated your drivers maybe you can think about moving windows from the 1tb HDD to the SSD. You'll see a massive jump in boot speed and general niftiness :) 
m
l
!