Sign in with
Your question
Solved

3-6 screens to run Desktop Aplications

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2012 6:59:17 PM

Hello,

I need a graphic card which can stretch my desktop to 3 19" screens. They all have vga outputs, and will run only forex applications. In a couple months I might need to increase my total screens to 6.. What can be the cheapest solution for this ??

Thank You
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 7:16:17 PM

Hi

As far as I am aware the Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition card can run 6 screens at 1080p. Regarding the price I am not quite sure, but I think you can get it at around 400 bucks.

Hope this helps!
m
l
July 27, 2012 8:21:38 PM

If I just want to use 3 vga screens at the same time whats the best, cheap price/performance graphic card ?
m
l
Related resources
a c 263 U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 11:12:12 PM

Just buy three cheap graphics cards. $30 each will do the job.

You will need three motherboard slots to plug them in.

Many motherboards will have two pci-e x16 slots, some more.

If you do not have sufficient pci-e x16 slots, then there are x1, and pci interface graphics cards, but they tend to be a bit more expensive.
m
l
July 27, 2012 11:41:43 PM

fpoon said:
You won't be able to use 6 monitors, only 3 at the most. Plus it takes 2 expansion slots which is ridiculous.

If you are getting a 6450, get this instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yea but lets say I get two of those graphic cards and connect it those 6 screens are gonna work separate from each other or 3 of them are gonna duplicate whatever others show. I really don't wanna spend more than 100$ for each card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 12:16:35 AM

The single slot 6450 does not allows 3 screens to be used.

The 2 slot sapphire flex you linked is a special version that allows 3 screens to be used out of the box! Cheapest way would be to add a second one of these if you have the PCIe slots for them.
m
l
July 30, 2012 6:44:24 PM

Ok so I decided to but 2x sapphire flex 6450 to be able to connect 6 screens. Can you guys offer an am3+ motherboard with 2x Pcie 16x and a power supply to connect that graphic cards ?? I'm not looking for something pricey. Thanks for help.
m
l
July 30, 2012 9:17:19 PM

2 6450s won't work with 6 monitors. max is 3.
m
l
July 30, 2012 10:38:45 PM

are you sure about that ? because on the review people are talking about connecting 6 screens on two of these graphic cars (3 each)
m
l
a c 196 U Graphics card
July 30, 2012 10:56:03 PM

fpoon, I really like your computer for starters.

And what kind of work will you be doing? If its like high grade professional work, then a 6450 wouldnt be a good choice anyway.
m
l
July 31, 2012 1:18:58 AM

It's for a daytrading computer. I will use only window based trading software's. On each screen I will have different chart and market information. I will never use it for gaming. For now I will only have 3 screens but inc coupple months I will add an other 3 so the total is gonna be 6. Ofc. I don't wanna face with any kind of fps problems, but since It's only a trading software I don't think It's gonna be a big problem.
m
l
July 31, 2012 3:47:19 AM

Deemo13 said:
fpoon, I really like your computer for starters.

Thanks for the feedback, I wasn't sure if it was a good choice but your criticism helped me a lot!

aykuncetinkaya said:
It's for a daytrading computer. I will use only window based trading software's. On each screen I will have different chart and market information. I will never use it for gaming. For now I will only have 3 screens but inc coupple months I will add an other 3 so the total is gonna be 6. Ofc. I don't wanna face with any kind of fps problems, but since It's only a trading software I don't think It's gonna be a big problem.

Check this page for reference:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefini...

It says there that the 6450 can be only used for max. 3 displays.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 5:06:49 AM

Your post makes no sense. 2x 3 is 6 no?
m
l
a c 263 U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 2:22:40 PM

@aykuncetinkaya

What motherboard are we talking about?
Have you bought it, or, are you looking at a complete day trading build?
It makes a difference on what the best solutions can be.
Do you have a budget?

For a simple day trader, the graphics solution should not be very difficult or complex

I would find it interesting to know how you intend to arrange 6 displays.
m
l
July 31, 2012 6:11:48 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
Your post makes no sense. 2x 3 is 6 no?

m
l
July 31, 2012 9:05:56 PM

Yes you're right about It, but since here http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/GraphicCard/100322FLE... it says eyefinity 6 edition I thought 2 of these carts would support 6 screens

this is one of the reviews about this grapic card.

Pro: I bought 2 of these cards to drive 6 monitors and they do that job perfectly. Cons: None Other: I purchased these cards for a trading station. Install the cards, go to AMD and download AMD Vision Engine Control Center and you will be able to use Eyefinity and drive 6 monitors off of 2 cards. I did not instll the Saphire drivers. There is an included HDMI to DVI adapter (I used this for my setup)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2012 9:12:16 PM

Yeah max of 3 monitors PER card. I don't understand why you would link that again.
m
l
July 31, 2012 9:22:15 PM

geofelt said:
@aykuncetinkaya

What motherboard are we talking about?
Have you bought it, or, are you looking at a complete day trading build?
It makes a difference on what the best solutions can be.
Do you have a budget?

For a simple day trader, the graphics solution should not be very difficult or complex

I would find it interesting to know how you intend to arrange 6 displays.

My budget is 450-600$ for internal components. it's only for day trading with 3-6 screens.
m
l
July 31, 2012 9:37:27 PM

Supermuncher85 said:
Yeah max of 3 monitors PER card. I don't understand why you would link that again.

I linked it because fpoon says I can't use 2 of these to connect 6 screens
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 12:54:18 AM

You are using windows7 I assume? Windows XP won't allow you to run more than 2 on a single card.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 1, 2012 1:28:21 AM

So the thing is with traditional cards you can only run 2 monitors through the chip. It is a limitation which sapphire is only able to overcome by leveraging the display port functionality. In most cases card manufacturers will only provide an additional ports (such as HDMI), but this is linked into the with the other 2 DVI/VGA ports. As the link can only support 2 simultaneous connections one of them won't work. That sapphire card uses a modified display port connection to allow support for the 3rd port allowing you to use 3 monitors at the same time.

Hope that clears it up. Obvisouly there are more expensive solutions out there, and many firepro and nvidia cards will allow 4 monitors to be used at the same time with one card. These are typically far more expensive though. You would be looking at $200+ per card depending on the amount of VRAM required.
August 4, 2012 12:25:27 AM

Best answer selected by aykuncetinkaya.
m
l
!