3-6 screens to run Desktop Aplications

aykuncetinkaya

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Hello,

I need a graphic card which can stretch my desktop to 3 19" screens. They all have vga outputs, and will run only forex applications. In a couple months I might need to increase my total screens to 6.. What can be the cheapest solution for this ??

Thank You

Solution
So the thing is with traditional cards you can only run 2 monitors through the chip. It is a limitation which sapphire is only able to overcome by leveraging the display port functionality. In most cases card manufacturers will only provide an additional ports (such as HDMI), but this is linked into the with the other 2 DVI/VGA ports. As the link can only support 2 simultaneous connections one of them won't work. That sapphire card uses a modified display port connection to allow support for the 3rd port allowing you to use 3 monitors at the same time.

Hope that clears it up. Obvisouly there are more expensive solutions out there, and many firepro and nvidia cards will allow 4 monitors to be used at the same time with one card. These...

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hi

As far as I am aware the Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition card can run 6 screens at 1080p. Regarding the price I am not quite sure, but I think you can get it at around 400 bucks.

Hope this helps!

Just buy three cheap graphics cards. $30 each will do the job.

You will need three motherboard slots to plug them in.

Many motherboards will have two pci-e x16 slots, some more.

If you do not have sufficient pci-e x16 slots, then there are x1, and pci interface graphics cards, but they tend to be a bit more expensive.

aykuncetinkaya

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Yea but lets say I get two of those graphic cards and connect it those 6 screens are gonna work separate from each other or 3 of them are gonna duplicate whatever others show. I really don't wanna spend more than 100$ for each card.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
The single slot 6450 does not allows 3 screens to be used.

The 2 slot sapphire flex you linked is a special version that allows 3 screens to be used out of the box! Cheapest way would be to add a second one of these if you have the PCIe slots for them.

aykuncetinkaya

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Ok so I decided to but 2x sapphire flex 6450 to be able to connect 6 screens. Can you guys offer an am3+ motherboard with 2x Pcie 16x and a power supply to connect that graphic cards ?? I'm not looking for something pricey. Thanks for help.

aykuncetinkaya

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
It's for a daytrading computer. I will use only window based trading software's. On each screen I will have different chart and market information. I will never use it for gaming. For now I will only have 3 screens but inc coupple months I will add an other 3 so the total is gonna be 6. Ofc. I don't wanna face with any kind of fps problems, but since It's only a trading software I don't think It's gonna be a big problem.

fpoon

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

Thanks for the feedback, I wasn't sure if it was a good choice but your criticism helped me a lot!

Check this page for reference:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/how-to/Pages/faqs.aspx#multiple-display-requirements

It says there that the 6450 can be only used for max. 3 displays.

@aykuncetinkaya

What motherboard are we talking about?
Have you bought it, or, are you looking at a complete day trading build?
It makes a difference on what the best solutions can be.
Do you have a budget?

For a simple day trader, the graphics solution should not be very difficult or complex

I would find it interesting to know how you intend to arrange 6 displays.

fpoon

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

Capture.png

aykuncetinkaya

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Yes you're right about It, but since here http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/GraphicCard/100322FLEX#ComparePrices it says eyefinity 6 edition I thought 2 of these carts would support 6 screens

this is one of the reviews about this grapic card.

Pro: I bought 2 of these cards to drive 6 monitors and they do that job perfectly. Cons: None Other: I purchased these cards for a trading station. Install the cards, go to AMD and download AMD Vision Engine Control Center and you will be able to use Eyefinity and drive 6 monitors off of 2 cards. I did not instll the Saphire drivers. There is an included HDMI to DVI adapter (I used this for my setup)

aykuncetinkaya

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

My budget is 450-600$ for internal components. it's only for day trading with 3-6 screens.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
So the thing is with traditional cards you can only run 2 monitors through the chip. It is a limitation which sapphire is only able to overcome by leveraging the display port functionality. In most cases card manufacturers will only provide an additional ports (such as HDMI), but this is linked into the with the other 2 DVI/VGA ports. As the link can only support 2 simultaneous connections one of them won't work. That sapphire card uses a modified display port connection to allow support for the 3rd port allowing you to use 3 monitors at the same time.

Hope that clears it up. Obvisouly there are more expensive solutions out there, and many firepro and nvidia cards will allow 4 monitors to be used at the same time with one card. These are typically far more expensive though. You would be looking at $200+ per card depending on the amount of VRAM required.

Solution