N11Ckk123472

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Idk if my graphics card is failing in my pc, but something deffinately is.

Virus/malware scans come up with nothing but when i do anything that require more graphics power than just sitting on the desktop (youtube, games, etc...) The processes that I'm pretty sure are controlling the graphics card (atiutility and atigpu) start to multiply, and each one takes up like 5-15% cpu usage, so after like 5 or 6 of them each start opening my cpu usage jumps too 100% and everything starts to become unusable.

I'm still not sure if its my graphics card because i'm getting no artifacts, no high gpu usage, all stock speeds, and it idles around 42c.

Also bsods have been appearing frequently over something i cant remember the name but it started with "ntfs" or something like that
Is this my graphics card? I think it might be my hard drive dying because its really old.

What do you guys think?

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

i would blame your power supply first but you have gave no specs for your system at all which doesnt make it easy for us

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Doesn't sound like a graphics card issue... With an OC'd system, first thing I would check for is the cooling. Are your CPU temps still fine or are there dust bunnies in the system now ?

Then, are your BSOD messages predictable (as in always the same error ?) If it quotes the same file every time, I think you may have driver issues (that may or may not be caused by crashing due to something else).

If you are not getting artifacts, and GPU temps are okay, then look else where. By looking at your rig, your HDD seems old. The ntfs message you got seems like your HDD may be failing.

If you are certain the processes that are acting up are driver related, try updating your driver first. Do a full uninstall of old AMD drivers, then install the new one.

N11Ckk123472

Honorable
May 13, 2012
From what I've read my symptoms aren't a failing power supply. My pc doesn't shut off, nothing overheats, my fans don't randomly go full speed, which I've heard are all symptoms of a failing psu.

N11Ckk123472

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I'll try that. I'm hope its my hard drive, easier to replace.

But temps are fine on everything, my case has a side window thats made out of honeycomb mesh so its basically open on the sides. I also have 7 120mm fans in my case, including the h60 push/pull.

My hard drive is old, i need to replace it anyways because I'm running out of room. Lets hope the problem will go away.

On an unrelated question, in terms of replacing hard drives, is it as simple as plugging the new one in, and dragging/dropping the files to the new one?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Nope, especially if your old drive has problems... The install part is just unplug, plug... BUT>..

If you can, get a copy of Acronis/Norton Ghost/etc imaging software, then image your old drive. You can then use this image file to migrate over to your new drive (sometimes if you buy a new hard drive, you can use the HDD manufacturer's version of Acronis/Ghost, because it comes free with the drive, you just have to download it).

Or you can do a fresh install...