PC underperforming

eust

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Hi there,

so i don't have new high end pc so i never realy thought about my pc working faulty when having low fps, but lately i am noticing that in some games whos recommended requirements i meet without problems i get low fps.

My pc:

Hardware:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
GPU: XFX HD 5830
RAM: dual channel 4gb ddr2
PSU: CORSAIR CX600

Software: COMODO firewall (only the firewall with defence +) + AVG Free

I am using windows 7 64bit

1st game: NBA 2K13

Operating Sytem Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7
CPU / Processor Intel Core 2 Duo processor or equivalent
Memory RAM 2 GB
Hard Disk Space 9 GB or more free space
Graphics Card Shader Model 3.0 support with 512 Ram
(Nvidia(R) Geforce(R) 8800 GT or better)
Sound Card 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Input Device Keyboard or dual-analog gamepad
Disc Drive 8x or faster DVD drive
Other DirectX: 9

As you can see i meet the system requirements and go over them but my fps ingame with ultra settings is 25 and on medium-low 35.

2nd game: DOTA 2

DotA 2 Recommended System Requirements:
OS: Windows® 7 / Vista / XP (64 bit Compatible with 7 / Vista)
Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
Memory: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista / 7
Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with Shader model 3.0. NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better
Hard Drive: At least 2.5 GB of free space
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Here is another example: on ultra settings i have around 20fps on medium-low it jumps around 25-30

3rd game: World of Tanks

Recommended system requirements:

Operation system: Windows XP/Vista/7/8 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz/ AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz (or better)
RAM: 4 GB (or more)
GPU: GeForce 260/ ATI HD4870 (or better) with1Gb(or more) of video memory, DirectX 9.0c
Audio adapter: compatible with DirectX9.0c
Space available on HDD: 9 GB
Internet connection speed: 1024 Kbps (or faster)

As you can se here recomended specs is my exact cpu my gpu is so so and ram is fine, but i am playing at 20-30 fps on medium.

So my question is , is there something wrong with my pc, i understand there might be bottleneckign going on, but i still meet the system requirements of those games and i would atleast expect 30+ fps on high settings.

If someone has an idea please share, thank you .

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
What games have you noticed the drop in performance. I need to know if you want my advice bro. If its games which you've always played and are acting different then that point to an abnormal problem, however, if its new games which have been newly released lately then it could be your hardware isnt up to playing the types of games that are coming out recently for example farcry,ac3 the way you are use to

eust

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

Thanks for the response m8.

It is not necceseraly a drop in performance it is just overall questioning since i meet the rec requirements, i expect to pull ~40 fps on medium on such games, wich is not happening, http://www.game-debate.com/ is a nice website that i use from time to time wich has info judged by votes from people with simmilar components, and on most of the games i play it says that i should be able to play on high settings wich i can't (NOTE: i do not take that info for granted).

And what got me to think that i am underperforming is the fact that when browsing online i have big problems, one of the issues is the ammount of tabs beeing open at the same time no mater if its a blank page or a webpage(firefox,chrome and opera), and frop in performance when flash is used for a longer period of time on one page or when i have flash open in more than 2-3 tabs.

I am assuming that i have a problem with my rig since i compare my pc with pcs from friends when i am using theirs it becomes clear that there is something not right since simmilar if not weaker pcs work better.

Hope this helps you a bit :p

Minimum Specs is little more then "We know it will work on this config, at the lowest possible settings". You should have no expectation of running with any significant amount of graphical settings with that rig.

payturr

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
In general your whole system is way too old. No one uses a 64 X2 these days, man, you gotta build a new PC, and if you want, bring the GPU with the new build - I wouldn't though.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Personally I don't use AVG anymore. I would try using spybot S&D. Then couple that with Microsoft security essentials. I run a business managing networks and see lots of computers running AVG with tons of infection issues. Just try spybot free edition. I bet anything you will find a few issues.

After that defrag your hard drive, try also increasing you page file to something around 4-6gb.

Blow out your case. Sometimes dust builds up and can cause your system to run hot which affects performance.

Check to make sure your GC drivers are up to date.

If all that fails to get you more FPS, then it's probably your hardware.

eust

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the tips people, i am aware of my old cpu just wanted to check if there is a problem or if its normal :D. I am probably do to budget restriction going to hop to an i3 in a few months and stay with this gpu for a while. Thank you all.

The Athlon64's are over the hill these days but a nice piece of nostalgia there. I think its a smart decicion to do the upgrade.

1) What budget?
2) What are you going to keep? (I would suggest just keeping your PSU and Drives which you can get faster drives later)

eust

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
I have to change the board since its quite old so i can jump to dd3 and more important sataIII since my ssd is working backwards compatable at 50% speed atm on sata 2. I plan on keeping my PSU and GPU since i bought the GPU on a limited budget last year since my old 3850 died with my old PSU :p wich i also bought in pair with 5830, it still has a warranty so i plan on keeping it for another year.

My budget for the cpu, board and ram would be around 250€.

;)

eust

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

Wow thank you m8, i am surprised there are nice people like you around, i am not used to that :)

Where in the Euros are you?

Going by European pricing indexes;

PhenomII x 4 955BE + Gigabyte 970XA UD3 + DDR3 1600(make at this point irrelevent) ~220Euros.

A8 5600k + FM2A85 Exteme 6 + DDR3 1600 ~260Euros

The differences between the platforms. The Phenom is marginally better in gaming but surprisingly the margins are not that far considering one is a native 4 core x86 part and the other a 2 Module SIMD processor. The lack of L3 cache is probably the reason why the A8's and A10's are slower than the 955 and 965BE parts.

On the platforms, the 970 is the entry AM3+ socket, the UD3 has the best OC performance, best value for money for a low cost FX build and a fair helping of connectivity. The A85 is litterally cramming highend connectivity and features into a low cost setup, there is nothing that remotely competes with this kind of feature rich platform at the $140 downwards market.

ASRocks Extreme 6 has more features than the ASUS A85 V Pro and Gigabytes UP4 priced at $100 while the competitors at $140 shows why ASUS and Gigabyt need to revise there pricing index. 7 SATA 6, 4 USB3.0, 3 USB2.0, Diagnostics, 3x PCIE 16/8/4 (16x/8x8), 8+2 phase VRMS (ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z AM3+ has that at $250) Lucid MVP and the ASROck suite which is enough bells and whistles with very little performance hit.

eust

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

HI, thank you for the suggestions m8, i am from croatia and it seems the prices are about the same what you said. At first what you described for the first suggestion, i am was quite pleased and was about to do research on that, but unfortunately i am unable to find PhenomII x 4 955BE and the board on our marked, the second one is available in most shops, so if you can comfirm that the second one is a good pick i will trust you and go for that :).

EDIT: i just noticed extreme 6 edition is not available only extreme4 for the board.

Generally speaking you will be getting between a i3 and i5 performance more or less. It is not a high end part but it tends to deliver enough performance at good cost.

Look around a bit for;

Phenom II x 4's and X6's or a FX4170

Any 970 or cheaper 990 chipset motherboards, see what you can find.