Time to upgrade CPU?

G61

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Hello! I recently have been wondering, is it time to upgrade my CPU? I do a lot of gaming, and currently I'm running a Intel Core2 Extreme X9650. I know it's running on an outdated socket, and if I were to decide on upgrading my CPU to a newer one, wouldn't I need to buy a new motherboard?

Yes to a new motherboard that uses ddr3 ram. Intel has both socket 1155 and 2011 boards. Your performance improvement will depend alot of what you use your system for. I would list your old specs and what you use your system for for better advice.
A firm budget would also help.

G61

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I'm not sure about all my specs, but here's what I know...
CPU: Intel Core2 Extreme X9650
Motherboard: No idea
GPU: Nvidia GTX 480
Memory: Corsair 2x4
PSU: Corsair 850 watt

If you think you need to upgrade then upgrade. You will need to change the mobo and RAM to upgrade to Intel's Ivy Bridge... or AMD if you decide to switch.

As mentioned above, Haswell is going to be released this summer. It is socket 1150 so it is not compatible with motherboards designed for Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge. The increase in performance is unknown so far. I'm guessing 5% - 10% above Ivy Bridge (at the same clockspeed) since Intel is focusing more on lowering power consumption than increasing performance.

AMD is also expected to be releasing the Radeon HD 8xxx series if you have no preference for GPU brand.

Generally speaking, most games are limited by the GPU rather than the CPU. So if you plan on upgrading the GPU as well, you may want to do that 1st before upgrading the CPU. That way you can upgrade the CPU later.

G61

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

I don't care what GPU brand I have, whatever works. I really don't need a new computer for now because I can run all the games I play without any problems, but I do plan to upgrade sometime. But I was wondering if my CPU was lacking in terms of power for the newer games.

TRENDING THREADS