Is there any password protected camera?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 24, 2005 11:50:45 AM

Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

Regards.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 6:24:46 PM

Robert J Batina wrote:
> Ray Fischer <rfischer@bolt.sonic.net> spewed:
> > <anytimej@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
> >> camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
> >> Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.
> >
> > Copy the photos to the computer and encrypt them, then erase them
> > from the camera.
>
> Thank you Mr Obvious. ;-)
>
> (I mean, of course that's what people do - transfer the photos then erase
> them from the camera - but your reply doesn't answer the OPs question.)
>
> But seriously, I've thought about that feature as well. I mean, you go on
> vacation, take a bunch of personal pictures throughout the trip, and then
> someone rips off your camera and has all your personal photos to do with
> whatever they would like. It'd be nice if there was a camera that offered
> some sort of built-in encryption or password protection so someone couldn't
> just view or download your images at will. Downloading the images to your
> PC and protecting them there is obvious - but there are times when you don't
> have immediate access to your PC and you would like to protect those images
> until you are able to transfer them.

Put the CF card in your pocket.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 11:37:02 PM

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net

Ray Fischer <rfischer@bolt.sonic.net> spewed:
> <anytimej@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
>> camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
>> Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.
>
> Copy the photos to the computer and encrypt them, then erase them
> from the camera.

Thank you Mr Obvious. ;-)

(I mean, of course that's what people do - transfer the photos then erase
them from the camera - but your reply doesn't answer the OPs question.)

But seriously, I've thought about that feature as well. I mean, you go on
vacation, take a bunch of personal pictures throughout the trip, and then
someone rips off your camera and has all your personal photos to do with
whatever they would like. It'd be nice if there was a camera that offered
some sort of built-in encryption or password protection so someone couldn't
just view or download your images at will. Downloading the images to your
PC and protecting them there is obvious - but there are times when you don't
have immediate access to your PC and you would like to protect those images
until you are able to transfer them.

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Anonymous

On 24 Sep 2005 07:50:45 -0700, anytimej@gmail.com wrote:

>Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
>camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
>Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

And how would you enter the password without a keyboard on the camera?

"When they poured across the border,
I was cautioned to surrender.
This I could not do
I took my gun and vanished."

"The Partisan"
Emmanuel D'Astier de la Vigerie
and Anna Marly 1943
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 1:23:37 AM

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:23:36 GMT, John A. Stovall wrote:

>>Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
>>camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
>>Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.
>
> And how would you enter the password without a keyboard
> on the camera?

The same way some cell phones do it. By allowing voice commands
to be a substitute for the keyboard.
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 1:55:56 AM

Robert J Batina <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

>Ray Fischer <rfischer@bolt.sonic.net> spewed:
>> <anytimej@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
>>> camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
>>> Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.
>>
>> Copy the photos to the computer and encrypt them, then erase them
>> from the camera.
>
>Thank you Mr Obvious. ;-)
>
>(I mean, of course that's what people do - transfer the photos then erase
>them from the camera - but your reply doesn't answer the OPs question.)

Shrug. Sometimes people don't notice the obvious.

>But seriously, I've thought about that feature as well. I mean, you go on
>vacation, take a bunch of personal pictures throughout the trip, and then
>someone rips off your camera and has all your personal photos to do with
>whatever they would like. It'd be nice if there was a camera that offered
>some sort of built-in encryption or password protection so someone couldn't
>just view or download your images at will.

I doubt that camera makers want to deal with the support headaches
that such a feature would entail. Could be nifty to have the camera
encrypt the photos, though.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:55:56 GMT, Ray Fischer wrote:

> I doubt that camera makers want to deal with the support headaches
> that such a feature would entail. Could be nifty to have the camera
> encrypt the photos, though.

It so, you might want a menu option to disable encryption when
taking rapid sequences of photos. Or at least postpone the
encryption until the camera is idle.
September 25, 2005 2:01:47 AM

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On 24 Sep 2005 07:50:45 -0700, anytimej@gmail.com wrote:
>

>>Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
>>camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
>>Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.
>

> And how would you enter the password without a keyboard on the camera?

Just a thought... select a menu option that displays a qwerty-like
diagram on the LCD, use the joystick to scroll across the "keyboard",
pressing half-shutter to select each character in the correct sequence,
and when the sequence is complete, full shutter press and hold to toggle
the encryption of the entire card image by image. 1-5 failed attempts
(programmable) to decrypt a card's file system results in a DES-3 wipe
pattern (S/N of the chassis = public key + owner's password = private
key) instantly applied to every file sector across the card volume
including the FAT. I call it the Corbomite Maneuver, and every sector
contains gibberish.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:23:36 GMT, John A Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 24 Sep 2005 07:50:45 -0700, anytimej@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
>>camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
>>Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.
>
> And how would you enter the password without a keyboard on the camera?

Morse code on the shutter release?

-dms
September 25, 2005 3:04:14 AM

<anytimej@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
> camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
> Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

Yes. My Ricoh RDC-5300 has a provision to password-protect the images on
the card so only authorized users could access them. I never could figure
out what good that feature was.

http://www.ricohzone.com/Product_RDC5300_CameraDetails_...
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 3:44:50 AM

Jeremy wrote:

> <anytimej@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
>>camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
>>Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.
>>

> Yes. My Ricoh RDC-5300 has a provision to password-protect the images on
> the card so only authorized users could access them. I never could figure
> out what good that feature was.
>
> http://www.ricohzone.com/Product_RDC5300_CameraDetails_...

Hi...

And if you ever do find a worthwhile use for it, it'll take mere seconds
for the hackers/cheaters/whatever people to create an "un-doer" for it.

It will be just like a cheap lock. Keeps honest people out.

Ken
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 8:31:49 AM

ASAAR <reply@tueue.com.invalid> wrote:
>On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:55:56 GMT, Ray Fischer wrote:
>
>> I doubt that camera makers want to deal with the support headaches
>> that such a feature would entail. Could be nifty to have the camera
>> encrypt the photos, though.
>
> It so, you might want a menu option to disable encryption when
>taking rapid sequences of photos. Or at least postpone the
>encryption until the camera is idle.

I work in the computer biz. That kind of problem is easily solved by
just throwing more CPU power at it. :-)

But if cameras can do fast JPEG compression a simple encryption
shouldn't be any problem. Won't be up to DOD standards but would
seriously inconvenience anybody who forgot their password.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 04:31:49 GMT, Ray Fischer wrote:

>> It so, you might want a menu option to disable encryption when
>> taking rapid sequences of photos. Or at least postpone the
>> encryption until the camera is idle.
>
> I work in the computer biz. That kind of problem is easily solved by
> just throwing more CPU power at it. :-)

That'll work, but I won't buy any camera that gets as hot as my
laptop. <g>

> But if cameras can do fast JPEG compression a simple encryption
> shouldn't be any problem. Won't be up to DOD standards but would
> seriously inconvenience anybody who forgot their password.

That's why I mentioned encrypting while idle. It's somewhat like
the way Windows can defragment or compress hard drives when the
system isn't in use. That would allow slower, more secure
encryption to be used without slowing the operation of the camera.
As far as passwords go, I just realized that neither a keyboard or
microphone is needed. The camera does have a lens, after all, and a
high resolution sensor. It could be designed to compare
fingerprints with several stored in the camera's internal memory
(not on the flash card). Unlike some vehicles, I wouldn't want to
see a camera employ a breathalyzer test before operating. <g>
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 5:26:29 PM

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 20:59:48 -0400, ASAAR <caught@22.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:23:36 GMT, John A. Stovall wrote:
>
>>>Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
>>>camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
>>>Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.
>>
>> And how would you enter the password without a keyboard
>> on the camera?
>
> The same way some cell phones do it. By allowing voice commands
>to be a substitute for the keyboard.

If you haven't noticed your cell phone has a keypad.

"When they poured across the border,
I was cautioned to surrender.
This I could not do
I took my gun and vanished."

"The Partisan"
Emmanuel D'Astier de la Vigerie
and Anna Marly 1943
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 5:26:30 PM

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:26:29 GMT, John A. Stovall wrote:

>> The same way some cell phones do it. By allowing voice commands
>> to be a substitute for the keyboard.
>
> If you haven't noticed your cell phone has a keypad.

Oh my, what have we here but another of your usual smug responses
that completely misses the point. Of course cell phones have
keypads. But some also have voice control. Many cameras also have
microphones, but not too many have keypads. If cameras ever employ
keypads they're more likely to be "soft" keypads on touch screen
displays than the space robbing "hard" variety.
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 5:44:49 PM

John A. Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net> spewed:
> On 24 Sep 2005 07:50:45 -0700, anytimej@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
>> camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
>> Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.
>
> And how would you enter the password without a keyboard on the
> camera?

Most cameras have very elaborate menu systems now... it wouldn't be hard to
include a password entry screen with a scrollable selection of alphanumeric
characters.

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 9:03:20 PM

"I doubt that camera makers want to deal with the support headaches
that such a feature would entail. Could be nifty to have the camera
encrypt the photos, though. "

not a good idea as people forget their passwords.
even if it works, why not password protect the entire camera
so it's useless as no one can use it if it's stolen.
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 9:13:59 PM

In article <1127573445.608965.209610@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
anytimej@gmail.com wrote:

> Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
> camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
> Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

Why not take the memory card out of the camera, if it concerns you? Or
are you concerned about the memory card falling into the wrong hands?
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 9:41:40 PM

In article <1127693000.894496.283180@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Mr.Happy <bolshoyhuy@hotmail.com> wrote:

> not a good idea as people forget their passwords.
> even if it works, why not password protect the entire camera
> so it's useless as no one can use it if it's stolen.

Even that would be a nightmare from the support end. Then you'd have
tards that forgot their passwords, they needed to take a shot of
grandma before she died and the camera was locked...there are endless
scenarios.
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 10:22:44 PM

What I would find more useful is a camera that puts a virus on any computer
that uses a file from that camera without authorization. That virus could
then tell you who is using a stolen camera.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter
"Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

> Ray Fischer <rfischer@bolt.sonic.net> spewed:
>> <anytimej@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
>>> camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
>>> Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.
>>
>> Copy the photos to the computer and encrypt them, then erase them
>> from the camera.
>
> Thank you Mr Obvious. ;-)
>
> (I mean, of course that's what people do - transfer the photos then erase
> them from the camera - but your reply doesn't answer the OPs question.)
>
> But seriously, I've thought about that feature as well. I mean, you go on
> vacation, take a bunch of personal pictures throughout the trip, and then
> someone rips off your camera and has all your personal photos to do with
> whatever they would like. It'd be nice if there was a camera that offered
> some sort of built-in encryption or password protection so someone
> couldn't just view or download your images at will. Downloading the
> images to your PC and protecting them there is obvious - but there are
> times when you don't have immediate access to your PC and you would like
> to protect those images until you are able to transfer them.
>
> --
> Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

Anonymous
September 25, 2005 10:29:53 PM

ASAAR <reply@tueue.com.invalid> wrote:
>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 04:31:49 GMT, Ray Fischer wrote:
>
>>> It so, you might want a menu option to disable encryption when
>>> taking rapid sequences of photos. Or at least postpone the
>>> encryption until the camera is idle.
>>
>> I work in the computer biz. That kind of problem is easily solved by
>> just throwing more CPU power at it. :-)
>
> That'll work, but I won't buy any camera that gets as hot as my
>laptop. <g>

I still have an Apple QuickTake 150 digital camera. Didn't get that
hot, but a set of 4 AA batteries would take on the order of a dozen
pictures.

>> But if cameras can do fast JPEG compression a simple encryption
>> shouldn't be any problem. Won't be up to DOD standards but would
>> seriously inconvenience anybody who forgot their password.
>
> That's why I mentioned encrypting while idle. It's somewhat like
>the way Windows can defragment or compress hard drives when the
>system isn't in use. That would allow slower, more secure
>encryption to be used without slowing the operation of the camera.

I'd consider "secure" to be less important.

Digital cameras have specialized hardware for doing fast JPEG
compression, but with a general-purpose CPU like in you average PC,
encryption is generally much faster than compression. After all,
scrambling data is something they're quite good at.

>As far as passwords go, I just realized that neither a keyboard or
>microphone is needed. The camera does have a lens, after all, and a
>high resolution sensor. It could be designed to compare
>fingerprints with several stored in the camera's internal memory
>(not on the flash card). Unlike some vehicles, I wouldn't want to
>see a camera employ a breathalyzer test before operating. <g>

Not a bad idea. Or even do some simple OCR.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:22:44 GMT, "Gene Palmiter"
<palmiter_gene@verizon.net> wrote:

>What I would find more useful is a camera that puts a virus on any computer
>that uses a file from that camera without authorization. That virus could
>then tell you who is using a stolen camera.

You don't seem to have much knowledge of "self help" laws.
September 26, 2005 3:11:52 AM

Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article <1127573445.608965.209610@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> anytimej@gmail.com wrote:
>

>>Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
>>camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
>>Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.
>

> Why not take the memory card out of the camera, if it concerns you? Or
> are you concerned about the memory card falling into the wrong hands?

Yeah, the cops could show up any minute.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On 24 Sep 2005 07:50:45 -0700, anytimej@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
>>camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
>>Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.
>
> And how would you enter the password without a keyboard on the camera?

The same way you create and name folders on my D70 (using the arrow keys
to select letters).

> "When they poured across the border,
> I was cautioned to surrender.
> This I could not do
> I took my gun and vanished."
>
> "The Partisan"
> Emmanuel D'Astier de la Vigerie
> and Anna Marly 1943
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 5:14:44 PM

Thank you for letting me know. But on the link that you provided they
do not talk about Password protection. I checked the next few pages too.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 5:17:40 PM

Thanks to people who replied.

I am bright enough to put the photos on computer or to take out the
memory card. But what I am talking about is the scenarios when I have
not done the above.

It would be great if there were cameras who would password protect the
Review option. Retrieving password is not a big problem - just the
secret answers do. And if someone forgot the secret answer he will have
to visit the company. Its simple - just as the emails work!
!