Hey all,

I downloaded new versions of my mods (to use with 1.7 of course), but how do
I do the update? Do I just unpack the files into the same dir, thus
overwriting the old files? Won't that erase all my saved info (auctioneer
and gatherer are the main concerns here)?

Any help appreciated. TIA

Devast8or

"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> I downloaded new versions of my mods (to use with 1.7 of course), but how do
> I do the update? Do I just unpack the files into the same dir, thus
> overwriting the old files? Won't that erase all my saved info (auctioneer
> and gatherer are the main concerns here)?

I'm no expert, but I believe that such info is saved in your SavedVariables.lua
file in C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<youraccountname>. As
such, it will be untouched by any overwriting you do in the Interface folder.

You might want to seek confirmation of that before proceeding, but I do it and
it has no effect on the data for Gatherer, Auctioneer, MapNotes, QuestHistory,
etc.

--
Paul

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:16:38 +0100, "Paul Catley"
<paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> I downloaded new versions of my mods (to use with 1.7 of course), but how do
>> I do the update? Do I just unpack the files into the same dir, thus
>> overwriting the old files? Won't that erase all my saved info (auctioneer
>> and gatherer are the main concerns here)?
>
>I'm no expert, but I believe that such info is saved in your SavedVariables.lua
>file in C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<youraccountname>. As
>such, it will be untouched by any overwriting you do in the Interface folder.
>
>You might want to seek confirmation of that before proceeding, but I do it and
>it has no effect on the data for Gatherer, Auctioneer, MapNotes, QuestHistory,
>etc.

That's the way it used to be. Following the patch, saved information
has been moved into one lua file per addon, ithin the WTF structure -
see the patch notes. The real "gotcha" is that, for the info to be
migrated, the addon apparently had to be active when WoW was first
restarted after the patch. Given that the first thing you'd then have
gotten would have been a message telling you that all your addons were
out of date, and that you *really* ought to disable them, I suspect a
fair number of people will have lost saved info by consequence..

As far as installing new mod versions after a patch goes, personally,
I usually rename the Addons folder, create a new one and populate it
from scratch - I feel that that way I'm much less likely to have
something archaic lying around in some obscure corner, screwing
everything else up. For data backup for Gatherer I use Gatherbook to
copy my info before each scheduled maintenance, as a matter of
principle.

Cheers - Ian

"Ian Noble" <fredd@clara.co.uk> wrote in message

> That's the way it used to be. Following the patch, saved information
> has been moved into one lua file per addon, ithin the WTF structure -
> see the patch notes. The real "gotcha" is that, for the info to be
> migrated, the addon apparently had to be active when WoW was first
> restarted after the patch. Given that the first thing you'd then have
> gotten would have been a message telling you that all your addons were
> out of date, and that you *really* ought to disable them, I suspect a
> fair number of people will have lost saved info by consequence..

Thanks for that! I haven't fired it up since patching, so I was a potential
victim.

--
Paul

Ian Noble ha scritto:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:16:38 +0100, "Paul Catley"
> <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I downloaded new versions of my mods (to use with 1.7 of course), but how do
> >> I do the update? Do I just unpack the files into the same dir, thus
> >> overwriting the old files? Won't that erase all my saved info (auctioneer
> >> and gatherer are the main concerns here)?
> >
> >I'm no expert, but I believe that such info is saved in your SavedVariables.lua
> >file in C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<youraccountname>. As
> >such, it will be untouched by any overwriting you do in the Interface folder.
> >
> >You might want to seek confirmation of that before proceeding, but I do it and
> >it has no effect on the data for Gatherer, Auctioneer, MapNotes, QuestHistory,
> >etc.
>
> That's the way it used to be. Following the patch, saved information
> has been moved into one lua file per addon, ithin the WTF structure -
> see the patch notes. The real "gotcha" is that, for the info to be
> migrated, the addon apparently had to be active when WoW was first
> restarted after the patch. Given that the first thing you'd then have
> gotten would have been a message telling you that all your addons were
> out of date, and that you *really* ought to disable them, I suspect a
> fair number of people will have lost saved info by consequence..
>
> As far as installing new mod versions after a patch goes, personally,
> I usually rename the Addons folder, create a new one and populate it
> from scratch - I feel that that way I'm much less likely to have
> something archaic lying around in some obscure corner, screwing
> everything else up. For data backup for Gatherer I use Gatherbook to
> copy my info before each scheduled maintenance, as a matter of
> principle.
>
> Cheers - Ian

I haven't disabled the out-of-date mods, i've just updated the new
relase of ctmod for 1.7 patch.
My -only- problem : i've lost all gathering nodes in the maps. This is
a big problem.
The new gathering mod is not yet available.
Will i recover the gathering nodes?
/cry

Ian Noble wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:16:38 +0100, "Paul Catley"
> <paul.notreallymyaddress@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I downloaded new versions of my mods (to use with 1.7 of course),
>>> but how do I do the update? Do I just unpack the files into the
>>> same dir, thus overwriting the old files? Won't that erase all my
>>> saved info (auctioneer and gatherer are the main concerns here)?
>>
>> I'm no expert, but I believe that such info is saved in your
>> SavedVariables.lua file in C:\Program Files\World of
>> Warcraft\WTF\Account\<youraccountname>. As such, it will be
>> untouched by any overwriting you do in the Interface folder.
>>
>> You might want to seek confirmation of that before proceeding, but I
>> do it and it has no effect on the data for Gatherer, Auctioneer,
>> MapNotes, QuestHistory, etc.
>
> That's the way it used to be. Following the patch, saved information
> has been moved into one lua file per addon, ithin the WTF structure -
> see the patch notes. The real "gotcha" is that, for the info to be
> migrated, the addon apparently had to be active when WoW was first
> restarted after the patch. Given that the first thing you'd then have
> gotten would have been a message telling you that all your addons were
> out of date, and that you *really* ought to disable them, I suspect a
> fair number of people will have lost saved info by consequence..

Bummer, I disabled and started playing so as not to mess up the entire WoW
installation. Oh well, I'll live.

> As far as installing new mod versions after a patch goes, personally,
> I usually rename the Addons folder, create a new one and populate it
> from scratch - I feel that that way I'm much less likely to have
> something archaic lying around in some obscure corner, screwing
> everything else up. For data backup for Gatherer I use Gatherbook to
> copy my info before each scheduled maintenance, as a matter of
> principle.
>
> Cheers - Ian

Good idea, I'll back up my mods before applying new patches in the future.
Thx m8.

Devast8or