Which setup would be better?

G

Any suggestions as to which would be the better setup and pros/cons of each. The system will be used for video editing/encoding and graphics work. Thanks for your help!

The drives will be the Maxtor 40gb ATA100 @ 7200rpm
The controller will be the Promise Ultra100 TX2

A. 40gb drive on mobo IDE running applications (Avid, AfterEffects, Photoshop, etc...)
2 x 40gb on dual channel Ultra100 controller as Raid0 storing all data

B. 3 x 40gb each on it's own IDE channel (mobo + controller) as Raid0 with both apps and data

Thanks,
Mike

FatBurger

Illustrious
Since B is impossible, you'll have to go with A.

B is the best option, but you can't do a RAID that spans two different controllers (mobo and card). Just put two of the drives on one channel.

A is a good option too, though.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

G

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know you couldn't span controllers, which prompts my next question. How does Tom's achieve 4 drives on 4 channels for the Raid via W2K article? For the test setup they list the onboard, an Ultra100, and a FastTrak100, none of which has more than 2 channels individually. Thanks.

G

Yes you can if one chose to do it through the OS. I don't know if that's better.. but it's possible.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

FatBurger

Illustrious
Right, software RAID. It's not better. It's basically as fast, but you can't install the OS on a software RAIDed drive, so there's not much point. That's where a lot of your performance difference comes from, and you'll need a separate hard drive for the OS.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>