Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD 6850 Fan clicking noise

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2012 10:10:35 PM

Hello, I purchased a HIS Radeon HD 6850 1GB back in December of 2011. About 2 months ago my card started creating this horrible clicking sound. Almost as if a chainsaw was going off. I discovered the noise was coming from the fan on the card. The click is faint at low speeds but when I try to play any games or just whenever the fan spins up it gets louder and even worse sounding. I don't know much about this as this has never happened to me before. Any one here know of a possible solution? I'm already considering buying a new card so if you have any suggestions for a replacement or upgrade that would be great.

Edit: this is the exact card off newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 26, 2012 6:17:16 AM

Have the same card, Ordered it for my current set up and installed it about 8 or 9 months ago.

After a few days i noticed this as well, thought something was wrong and couldnt tell what... looked around for a few days then decided to open my computer up to see what was going on.

I hadn't tied back the cords when i installed it and it was just the fan barely hitting the cords...

If you haven't checked I would look at that, seems stupid but it's best to make sure everything is set up correctly INSIDE of the computer before assuming it could be a defect or problem with the card itself.

Secondly,

Since you're using the card you must have Catalyst Control Center (CCC.exe).

In CCC i would try switching around a few things in there and make sure all the settings are correct to your computer,

There is also a Tab for the Fan settings in CCC as well, you can choose to increase the RPM or decrease it.

If your fan is clear of cords, Try reducing the RPM and see if it reduces the sound, if you notice a difference in your FPS it is because the card is getting too hot, which won't only lower your FPS but it could potentially fry your card as well, the Radeon 6850 HD can take a max Temperature of 99°C (210.2°F) Which is quite high. Keeping it below 80°C (176°F)

Thankfully there's a way you can monitor that and make sure you're alright.

Everest Home Edition is an awesome Program that monitors Basically everything on your computer.

Everest keeps track of the temperatures of your Motherboard, CPU, Graphics Card, and RAM. It's also a great tool if you want to squeeze a little extra juice out of your computer by overclocking..
Keeps an eye on most everything in your computer, Bios, All of your USB and other ports in the back of your computer, and drivers.

There's also an "Export Information" option where you can save it as a .txt or .html and share it with the people associated with everest or people on an overclocking forum, Most of the time they will be able to figure out what can be optimized.

Sorry for writing such an extensive response, Got nothing better to do right now!
If all else fails, I believe AMD has a 2Yr~ warranty where you can return it to them and they will either fix it for you or send you a new one.

Good luck, Hopefully I'm not too late on replying, didn't check the date on the the Original Post :) 

-Tanner

Edit: Doh! I'm a few months late :o  Probably has figured it out by now... Oh well, worth a try.

:hello: 
m
l
October 26, 2012 7:27:10 AM

TFarrzilla I appreciate the response a lot. Turns out the bearings in the fan died on me, I RMA'd it and got impatient so I bought an MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC. Way better than what I had but I got the replacement HIS 6850 a month later so I have them sitting in Crossfire right now.
m
l
!