First time building my own PC, I think I need some help

blackmage201

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Hi there. I'm planning on building my first gaming PC and, if it helps, I'm basing some of my choices on Hardware Revolution's High-End Gaming PC Article and what I'm trying to do is build it so that it will last for a good 3 to 4 years.

The parts that I am most likely going to buy are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K

CPU Cooler: Phanteks CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155

Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600

Storage: Two Seagate 3TB Internal Hard drives

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D1 24-bit 192 KHz

Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 1050W 80 PLUS Gold Certified

I can't really decide on the case, but I would like one that has at least a few USB 3.0 ports.

The optical drive doesn't matter too much to me.

Approximate Purchase Date: Next Weekend

Budget Range: My maximum budget is $3000, but I might try to keep it at $2500 or less

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, programming, surfing the internet, hobby game development, watching TV/movies

Are you buying a monitor: Probably not, My current monitor is a Planar PX2710MW

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None, really, I'm mainly going through PC Part Picker.

Parts Preferences: My only preference is that I want to stick with AMD video cards

Overclocking: Not right now

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Due to how dark the room with my PC is I'd prefer a monitor with back lighting and a case that glows, but I'm not sure if I should upgrade from the monitor I have.

I currently have a Logitech G110 keyboard and a Logitech G300 mouse and I'm not sure if I want to/should upgrade from those.

Really, I think the only truly demanding games that I own are The Witcher 2 and a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I was just going to use hardware-revolution's guide, but after doing some research I see people recommending Intel i5 CPUs instead of i7 and some other differences, so I thought I would ask here instead of just basing everything on a guide.

Other than that, I really can't decide on what case I want to buy.

Why Am I Upgrading: I just really want to build my own computer.

Solution
In 3-4 years, HT still won't be utilized. Get the 3570k instead.
You aren't CF/SLIng yet you have a board that can and a PSU that is way overkill. Same with RAM (way overkill). Since you said not right now for OCing, I am assuming you will OC in the future, so keep the unlocked processor. Change PSU to an XFX Pro550W and the mobo to a Z77 Pro3.
In 3-4 years, HT still won't be utilized. Get the 3570k instead.
You aren't CF/SLIng yet you have a board that can and a PSU that is way overkill. Same with RAM (way overkill). Since you said not right now for OCing, I am assuming you will OC in the future, so keep the unlocked processor. Change PSU to an XFX Pro550W and the mobo to a Z77 Pro3.

Solution

mladen88bl

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
your build overall is solid, but :

if you are not going for sli, programming you dont need i7 (but you can buy it if you want to spend money ;) )

sound card- not really requiered if you are using pc for gaming/ home use

case- CM storm enforcer if you ask me

also you could help us if you say for what will you be using pc

blackmage201

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

The only reason I selected the 3770k was due to that Gaming PC guide, same with the PSU. Well, that and because I read somewhere that it was better to have a PSU a few hundred watts above what is required for efficiency, or something. I also posted here because I was having doubts about the guide itself. I might just have been looking in the wrong spots, but I never saw that site recommended anywhere, unlike Toms Hardware.

Yeah, I don't really plan on overclocking until I'm pretty comfortable with figuring out how everything works first. Especially since I've only just become interested in/caring about how my computer works over the last year or two.

blackmage201

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

Oh, I thought sound cards were actually meant to be used for sound quality. I honestly didn't know that they were meant for other uses. Although, I did read that they were somewhat useless for headphones which is what I'm mainly going to be using.

Also, I might be misunderstanding this, but I thought I already wrote that I'm mainly going to be using this a gaming PC.