IS my Processor used?

stanfiem

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I just received a processor that I was told was NEW from a rather big name site. Well I recieved the processor and it clearly has thermal paste on top of it and the bottom has indentions on the pads already. So this chip WAS in a socket but Do they test processors in the factory? The oddest thing is that the 1st processor I received had the same thing a cloudy film of thermal paste over the top and indentions.

stanfiem

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
No i Mean dos the manufactuer test all porcessors is my question because I bought the chip from amazon as new and this has clearly been in a socket. It is the second processor I have received from them in the past 2 days that is like this.

Also with Amazon having many sellers, the honestly from seller to seller may vary.

I have NEVER got a cpu with ANY paste on it before. The heatsinks have it, but it is covered with a plastic(molded to fit the bottom of the heatsink).

Unless somehow they managed to get NEW systems and are selling off the parts, I would guess it is USED(not always the end of the world if you can get a good price).

jacobsta811

Honorable
May 26, 2012
It was at least tested against being DOA. If you ordered from a third party merchant it could be used, used briefly to bin out ones that overclock more, or just tested to make sure it works. Either way I'd give it a try, if it works properly there is unlikely to be any difference between that CPU and a new one except that it might not be an amazing overclocker.

stanfiem

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

I bought it from amazon ("Amazon.com LLC"). NOt from a third party. I intentionally skipped over the Third parties for this VERY reason. I guess amazon just doesn't give a ***. Really pisses me off!

THis is making me really mad because this is the 2ND processor that was like this! One I got yesterday and one I got today

Well It was 200 dollars so I am not so sure that is a good deal for a used processor. It is great if it were new but...

stanfiem

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

That is what Makes me the maddest! Overclocking is My favorite part, almost more than actual gaming. And I was excited about the "chip lottery" Now I feel like there is pretty much NO way this will be a good overclocker because why would someone return a cpu that overclocked well.

I am sitting with 2 processors right now I may just test them both and tell amazon I will keep which one I like best or Just say Screw it and Get my money back. This just leaves a horrible taste in my mouth if you know what I mean. I mean this is a very 1st world problem, I know it's really not a huge deal at all, but still If I buy a NEW processor I want a NEW processor even if it was only 203 dollars.

darrick1994

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
You could try one more time returning the used processor and getting a new one from amazon. As stated above, it should be in a box and sealed. If the third one is used once more, return it for your money back and buy it from either a retail store or another reputable online site like newegg.con

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Do you work at Intel?

stanfiem

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

You mean a 3rd time. I tried but they took their processors off of the website when i talked to them (because of my experience) SO there is something shady going on at Amazon.

stanfiem

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

Thank you for replying. This is what I thought. Very dissapointed with amazon. They told me they could give me a 10 credit to supplement the lower cost of a used processor or that I could return both for a full refund. I am going to see how these overclock first.

munjoo238

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
You can buy $200 Brand New processor. I personally think that's one dirty trick from the seller. It could either be RMA'd or a Really used up processor. why would anyone RMA a good and working processor in the first place.

Definitely not brand new. I never got any processor with thermal paste on it or any dents or marks whatsoever. That's pretty low for them to mark it as brand new dude

Does it really matter if it has thermal paste on it, in fact does it really matter if it's used? Not really. These are designed to last, heck chips can run for 10+ years and be constantly under load.

What you should be concerned about is if it works.

darrick1994

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

yes, i would recommend getting a full refund since you are not able to get a new processor and it doesn't sound like you want to have a used one

yes, it does matter since he paid for the price of a NEW processor, not a used one. if he paid for the price of a used processor to get a used processor, then the concern with that is if it works properly.

dannyritz

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
I think you should try one more replacement. Its strange. Amazon is supposed to be really reliable. Their customer service is good. If you make a fuss they should pay attention especially in this case where you've paid for a new processor and gotten a used one.

The fact that your replacement was also like this should be extra ammo for you. Call amazon and tell them that this is unacceptable. Try them out a third time and if it still comes used demand your money back. I think intel uses a special seal for their boxes. Were your boxes sealed? Did you notice any tampering with them?

You shouldn't have to accept a used cpu.