Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Graphics card drawing too much power?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 27, 2012 11:09:43 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased and installed the Radeon HD 7950. It requires a 600W as opposed to whatever my old GTX 560 Ti used. Anyways, ever since then my wireless internet has been dropping out and the mouse lags periodically, about as much as the internet drops out... every ten seconds. I have a 700W (GS700) power supply, so I am guessing that the poor performance is due to insufficient power. Also, the problem has been getting worse over time. I have ordered a 1200W power supply as a remedy to the problem. Was this the right choice? What else could the problem be? I have 2 ssds, one hard drive, a cd drive, a 6 core processor, 14GB of ram, a wireless network card, and many usb devices attached.
July 27, 2012 11:18:56 PM

does it happen even in WIndows at idle?

The card shouldn't be using too much power in that state, and so it is unlikely it is a power issue, but more likely a software or driver issue, something about the card is interrupting or causing a delay with everything else.
Try updating card drivers if you haven't already. I also don't know if possibly you have some kind of mobo conflict the way you have the card setup;

but I'd suspect something along those lines other than the power.

That being said, if you have the PSU on the way already, you might as well test it to rule it out definitively.
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 11:26:39 PM

m0v0nage said:
Hello,

I recently purchased and installed the Radeon HD 7950. It requires a 600W as opposed to whatever my old GTX 560 Ti used. Anyways, ever since then my wireless internet has been dropping out and the mouse lags periodically, about as much as the internet drops out... every ten seconds. I have a 700W (GS700) power supply, so I am guessing that the poor performance is due to insufficient power. Also, the problem has been getting worse over time. I have ordered a 1200W power supply as a remedy to the problem. Was this the right choice? What else could the problem be? I have 2 ssds, one hard drive, a cd drive, a 6 core processor, 14GB of ram, a wireless network card, and many usb devices attached.

dont get a 1.2kw psu thats just crazy buy a decent 600w psu and thats heaps more power than u need, the only power hungry things are the gpu and cpu the rest of your stuff wouldnt even use 100watts motherboard included
m
0
l
Related resources
July 27, 2012 11:28:45 PM

Yea a 1.2k watt PSU is way overkill, I don't know why anyone would need that much power unless they're running like 4 GTX 7970's and a RAID of 8 Hard drives.

For your PSU 600 watts will be fine.
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 11:32:29 PM

Actually, HD 7950 uses less power than your GTX 560 Ti. I'd cancel the order ASAP.



Corsair GS 700 unit is a very decent power supply, it is most certainly enough. Did you connect the two 6-pin power connectors to the graphics card from your power supply?

Since you switched from nvidia to AMD, I'd suggest reinstall of windows, because of possible driver conflicts. And trust me, video driver conflicts may cause severe issues, like the ones you're experiencing now.
m
0
l
Anonymous
December 1, 2012 5:20:18 PM

jasont78 said:
dont get a 1.2kw psu thats just crazy buy a decent 600w psu and thats heaps more power than u need, the only power hungry things are the gpu and cpu the rest of your stuff wouldnt even use 100watts motherboard included


i have amd fx 6100 6-core processor, and amd radeon hd 6800 graphic card and my psu is 480 W. is it too low? when i play assassins creed 3 it shuts down, but it doesnt when i play smaller games. what should i do and can i solve it without buying anything?
m
0
l
December 1, 2012 10:06:24 PM

Quote:
i have amd fx 6100 6-core processor, and amd radeon hd 6800 graphic card and my psu is 480 W. is it too low? when i play assassins creed 3 it shuts down, but it doesnt when i play smaller games. what should i do and can i solve it without buying anything?

a fx6100 isnt really a true 6 core it amd marketing bs, but as for your question if its a decent brand name psu it should be fine if its a cheap no name one thats a totally different kettle of fish. if its a cheap psu i would blame it if you can try a different psu to make sure, also its not unusual for even decent psu's to die after a couple of years but it could also be drivers if it only happens in the one game
m
0
l
!