Sign in with
Your question

Needing a little build/upgrade advice

Last response: in Systems
September 15, 2012 8:19:22 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Wednesday 19th Sept

Budget Range: £300-370 GBP (after shipping)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video editing and rendering, web and the usual things.

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, Motherboard, RAM

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any safe, respectable UK sites.

Parts Preferences: I5 3570k

Overclocking: Will be overclocking in the future.

SLI or Crossfire: SLI Preferred but not necessary.

Additional Comments: Mainly looking for a good inexpensive I5 3570k build with a good motherboard and RAM choice. The CPU will definitely be a I5 3570k, just mainly looking for a good motherboard with good overclocking ability and possibly the ability to SLI, RAM isn't so important as I have a good idea on what's good and what to avoid.

Why I'm Upgrading: My old Q6600 doesn't quite have the pace anymore.

Any particular motherboard and/or RAM recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated.
September 15, 2012 8:28:08 PM

asrock extreme 4 z77 motherboard is good for the price. any ram from gskills, corsair, and kingston would work they are good brands.
September 15, 2012 8:33:17 PM

Decent low cost mobo, to give all you want:
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4

RAM obviously you need to decide if 8GB is ok for your photo work. It is for anything else. If you want to overclock in future, you want low profile ram to avoid any risk of a clash when you add an aftermarket cooler. Ideally you want either 2x4GB, or 2x8GB
low profile 1600 MHz Cas9 DDR3. Crucial ballistic Sport, Corsair CML, or GSkill Ares, all OK.
Related resources
September 16, 2012 7:05:16 PM

Ahh, looks like the ASRock board it is then, Thanks for the input ;) 
September 16, 2012 7:25:09 PM

I have seen many people with the Asus P8Z77 boards and I have just came across one and there is only a small difference in cost.

Given it seems a popular choice. Would it be worthwhile spending the little extra for the Asus P8Z77-V (Which I believe has the Wifi adapter also) ?
September 16, 2012 9:44:56 PM

Asus very good. If there's not a big price difference, may be worth it. The ASRock is supposed to be good for overclocking, but so's the Asus, and probably easier to use, and possibly better quality.
!