Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD drivers ruined my PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 27, 2012 11:34:59 PM

So i updated my graphics drivers and now my PC is astonishingly bad in games. When i play left 4 dead 2 lan it all works well at 60+ fps but when i look at fire i get a large fps drop, before i installed these drivers i never had any fps drops when i look at fire. Also in shift 2 unleashed i get average 60+fps and now i get somewhat non playable 30 fps. I mean seriously i definitely regret buying an AMD card. And what's worse i'm more confused when i try to download drivers, there are a tons of cr*p and trying to figure out which version i have and which i need is a pain in the neck. I have an AMD radeon 6850. Any of you guys think something else is the problem let me know. I'm all ears for something that can lift my spirits now.

More about : amd drivers ruined

a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 12:34:30 AM

:lol:  at the thread title (Im sure its not as funny for you at the moment, sorry)

Just go to your control panel and remove catalyst, should remove all your drivers too.

Select one of the older revisions from this list. Hopefully you can remember when it last worked, theyre all dated anyway so should just be trial and error

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/...
Related resources
July 28, 2012 1:05:07 AM

BigMack70 said:
What was your old card? If you had an Nvidia card before switching to an AMD card, you need to make sure (via driver sweepers or manual uninstall of the stuff that the uninstaller leaves behind) there are no Nvidia files on your computer.

Personally, I do a clean windows install when I switch companies either way. Also dunno what confused you about downloading their drivers... you just select your GPU series and OS from the dropdown menu on their site and you just download what it takes you to - it's pretty difficult to mess that up if you know what your hardware is.

There are problems with AMD drivers, but what you're describing sounds more like user error to me.


I also did a OS reinstall after i replaced the card. I've been using this 6850 for 4 months now
July 28, 2012 1:12:35 AM

BigMack70 said:
What was your old card? If you had an Nvidia card before switching to an AMD card, you need to make sure (via driver sweepers or manual uninstall of the stuff that the uninstaller leaves behind) there are no Nvidia files on your computer.

Personally, I do a clean windows install when I switch companies either way. Also dunno what confused you about downloading their drivers... you just select your GPU series and OS from the dropdown menu on their site and you just download what it takes you to - it's pretty difficult to mess that up if you know what your hardware is.

There are problems with AMD drivers, but what you're describing sounds more like user error to me.


Also i know that. I know every bit of info about my PC, entering my OS and all that stuff was easy. What i don't know is what to download. When i first downloaded drivers there was only 1 option but now there are 4 downloads. How can it be my fault that everything just started going bad after i installed the drivers... well technically it is my fault because i was the one who installed them. I never had a problem with nvidia cards before and this is the first and probably last time i use AMD cards.
July 28, 2012 1:15:13 AM

paddys09 said:
:lol:  at the thread title (Im sure its not as funny for you at the moment, sorry)

Just go to your control panel and remove catalyst, should remove all your drivers too.

Select one of the older revisions from this list. Hopefully you can remember when it last worked, theyre all dated anyway so should just be trial and error

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/...


I know the title sounds kinda funny. But why doesn't AMD make it simple like Nvidia does. Just enter info and the download begins. AMD just keeps in riddles with their versions and i don't even know what amd catalyst is. First time with AMD cards.
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 1:15:54 AM

yea try rolling back if nothing else fixes it. Obviously driver problems.

Can try lower shader quality for a test or mess around with the ccc 3d settings.

All in all it appears to be an endless cycle with AMD drivers where a magic version would be released then only to be a set back again with the next iteration. It's like the consumer is expected to know more than average to fix any occurring problems that might come to pass with certain games. Or at least follow up on other people's complaints for fixes and at times very difficult to do so because there hasn’t been enough time for people to report with new drivers.

If it isn’t broke don’t fix, or buy Nvidia :)  their drivers to date are quite the rock solid. Thats with my experience however.
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 1:19:16 AM

in catalyst control center it has all the info you need, versions numbers etc.

Updating through catalyst control center is easy to install/update aswell. Just click on the update software tab and of it goes.

July 28, 2012 1:21:43 AM

Lazar_99 said:
So i updated my graphics drivers and now my PC is astonishingly bad in games. When i play left 4 dead 2 lan it all works well at 60+ fps but when i look at fire i get a large fps drop, before i installed these drivers i never had any fps drops when i look at fire. Also in shift 2 unleashed i get average 60+fps and now i get somewhat non playable 30 fps. I mean seriously i definitely regret buying an AMD card. And what's worse i'm more confused when i try to download drivers, there are a tons of cr*p and trying to figure out which version i have and which i need is a pain in the neck. I have an AMD radeon 6850. Any of you guys think something else is the problem let me know. I'm all ears for something that can lift my spirits now.



OP, exactly why I don't take yours nor most peoples reviews on newegg etc to heart..... i have yet to have THAT BAD of a driver issue with AMD... I wish you the best of luck...
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 1:27:02 AM

Lazar_99 said:
I know the title sounds kinda funny. But why doesn't AMD make it simple like Nvidia does. Just enter info and the download begins. AMD just keeps in riddles with their versions and i don't even know what amd catalyst is. First time with AMD cards.


I have no idea, nothing against their GPU's, but I see the driver issues over and over again. I ended up using drivers from the windows catalog on on one of my older cards as no version of catalyst would work with it, kept on getting weird texture glitches in games. Don't let it put you off though the GPU's are great :) 
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 1:28:10 AM

Lazar_99 said:
So i updated my graphics drivers and now my PC is astonishingly bad in games. When i play left 4 dead 2 lan it all works well at 60+ fps but when i look at fire i get a large fps drop, before i installed these drivers i never had any fps drops when i look at fire. Also in shift 2 unleashed i get average 60+fps and now i get somewhat non playable 30 fps. I mean seriously i definitely regret buying an AMD card. And what's worse i'm more confused when i try to download drivers, there are a tons of cr*p and trying to figure out which version i have and which i need is a pain in the neck. I have an AMD radeon 6850. Any of you guys think something else is the problem let me know. I'm all ears for something that can lift my spirits now.



Never had any problems with AMD GPU's or installing the drivers, however I am sure that some folks with certain configurations and special circumstances have all sorts of issues. :sarcastic: 
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 1:31:49 AM

zloginet said:
OP, exactly why I don't take yours nor most peoples reviews on newegg etc to heart..... i have yet to have THAT BAD of a driver issue with AMD... I wish you the best of luck...


exactly..... don't take it to heart. Nvidia mess it up quite alot aswell.
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 1:41:13 AM

jitpublisher said:
Never had any problems with AMD GPU's or installing the drivers, however I am sure that some folks with certain configurations and special circumstances have all sorts of issues. :sarcastic: 


Or ones that have absolutely no idea what they are doin :) 
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 1:43:05 AM

Lazar_99 said:
Also i know that. I know every bit of info about my PC, entering my OS and all that stuff was easy. What i don't know is what to download. When i first downloaded drivers there was only 1 option but now there are 4 downloads. How can it be my fault that everything just started going bad after i installed the drivers... well technically it is my fault because i was the one who installed them. I never had a problem with nvidia cards before and this is the first and probably last time i use AMD cards.


How hard is it to read? Hell the newer versions of catalyst control center alerts you when there is a new driver available and it downloads it for you automagically. I bet your shoes have velcro....
July 28, 2012 10:55:52 AM

boju said:
yea try rolling back if nothing else fixes it. Obviously driver problems.

Can try lower shader quality for a test or mess around with the ccc 3d settings.

All in all it appears to be an endless cycle with AMD drivers where a magic version would be released then only to be a set back again with the next iteration. It's like the consumer is expected to know more than average to fix any occurring problems that might come to pass with certain games. Or at least follow up on other people's complaints for fixes and at times very difficult to do so because there hasn’t been enough time for people to report with new drivers.

If it isn’t broke don’t fix, or buy Nvidia :)  their drivers to date are quite the rock solid. Thats with my experience however.


Well i wish i could go back in time and avoid AMD cards. Now i'm stuck with this and i have other components that need replacing, next time i'll buy nvidia even though they are more expensive its better to avoid problems like AMD drivers. I tried in the AMD vision engine control center to lower everything to performance but still nothing.
July 28, 2012 11:02:09 AM

vrumor said:
Or ones that have absolutely no idea what they are doin :) 


Well i'm a beginner with AMD software and cards so don't give a guy a hard time for being new to it. First time with AMD cards... though they are a life saver when it comes to CPU's because they are a lot cheaper
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
July 28, 2012 11:10:28 AM

Lazar_99 said:
Well i'm a beginner with AMD software and cards so don't give a guy a hard time for being new to it. First time with AMD cards... though they are a life saver when it comes to CPU's because they are a lot cheaper

AMD's graphic driver installation process may become more "Nvidia like" in time but until then you will have to put up with what they are doing at the moment.
July 28, 2012 11:21:08 AM

I restored the computer to an earlier time and the problem still persists. I'm gonna flash my BIOS and see if that fixes it
July 28, 2012 12:28:04 PM

BigMack70 said:
That's like dropping a nuke to kill a mosquito.

Did you follow the steps to completely uninstall from that link above and then try reinstalling your old driver that you know worked?


I don't have the old driver installation, all i have is this one
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 12:29:47 PM

jitpublisher said:
Never had any problems with AMD GPU's or installing the drivers, however I am sure that some folks with certain configurations and special circumstances have all sorts of issues. :sarcastic: 

:p 
be nice..
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 12:29:56 PM

BigMack70 said:
:heink: 

There's 3 downloads on the driver page:
-The newest driver
-A beta driver
-Catalyst Application Profiles (for crossfire mostly)

What's so hard about figuring out which of those you want?

Anyways, one LEGIT complaint you can make about AMD is that they don't make auto-updating their drivers easy (and I think this is the core of your problem). You pretty much always need to do a clean uninstall of your drivers by following something like this:
http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-properly-unins...

before updating or rolling back your driver install.

Legitimate complaint: "Updating AMD drivers can be needlessly buggy."
Illegitimate complaints: "It's too hard to figure out what driver to download." & "AMD's driver killed my performance on everything."

+1

BigMack70 said:
That's like dropping a nuke to kill a mosquito.

Did you follow the steps to completely uninstall from that link above and then try reinstalling your old driver that you know worked?

:lol: 
July 28, 2012 12:39:47 PM

Nah never mind. It looks like i'm stuck with this turd of a 6850 radeon seeing as i can't return it. Next time i will avoid AMD graphics cards like the devil cause' i don't want to have problems i have now. Seriously i've never had a problem like this with nvidia. Had a GTS 250 before this and i might just put it back and try to sell the 6850 on ebay or something
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 12:43:40 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Nah never mind. It looks like i'm stuck with this turd of a 6850 radeon seeing as i can't return it. Next time i will avoid AMD graphics cards like the devil cause' i don't want to have problems i have now. Seriously i've never had a problem like this with nvidia. Had a GTS 250 before this and i might just put it back and try to sell the 6850 on ebay or something

if the driver-sweeper doesn't work then blowing up the install by reformatting and fresh install might be the only way
to see if it's hardware or software (driver corruption).
might be drastic but it's a troubleshooting step.

cheers.
July 28, 2012 12:53:15 PM

verbalizer said:
if the driver-sweeper doesn't work then blowing up the install by reformatting and fresh install might be the only way
to see if it's hardware or software (driver corruption).
might be drastic but it's a troubleshooting step.

cheers.


It seems that i have to reinstall my OS again... I wanted to avoid that because i had a lot of stuff i can't save but it better not be a hardware problem because if i go to the shop i will get a GTX 560 which i should have got instead of this bucked arse 6850. :fou: 
that considers i return the 6850. Jeezus what have i gotten myself into. The reason i got this turd was because it was 120$ and i never had an AMD graphics card so i thought i should give it a try. And the other main reason is that the GTX 560 was still above 200$
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
July 28, 2012 12:55:48 PM

Lazar_99 said:
It seems that i have to reinstall my OS again... I wanted to avoid that because i had a lot of stuff i can't save but it better not be a hardware problem because if i go to the shop i will get a GTX 560 which i should have got instead of this bucked arse 6850. :fou: 
that considers i return the 6850. Jeezus what have i gotten myself into. The reason i got this turd was because it was 120$ and i never had an AMD graphics card so i thought i should give it a try. And the other main reason is that the GTX 560 was still above 200$

Better price/performance ratio, that's all that matters! :lol: 
July 28, 2012 12:56:48 PM

BigMack70 said:
If you build your own PC (or even if you just upgrade one that someone else built), you're going to have to troubleshoot. Sorry - it just goes with the territory. AMD or Nvidia doesn't matter on that one. Just take a look over the forums - there's just as many people troubleshooting Nvidia related problems are there are AMD related problems.


This PC was built 2009/2010 and i myself built it. Now i'm building a new one and it seems the new hardware is starting to malfunction
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 12:57:41 PM

Lazar_99 said:
It seems that i have to reinstall my OS again... I wanted to avoid that because i had a lot of stuff i can't save but it better not be a hardware problem because if i go to the shop i will get a GTX 560 which i should have got instead of this bucked arse 6850. :fou: 
that considers i return the 6850. Jeezus what have i gotten myself into. The reason i got this turd was because it was 120$ and i never had an AMD graphics card so i thought i should give it a try. And the other main reason is that the GTX 560 was still above 200$

I'm not a basher of AMD HD Radeon, I like the HD 7870 and might play with one.
I'm just not really a fan from past experiences with them.
I ran Eyefinity and CF-X in the past.

I'm just a nVidia guy.
but I'm NOT A KEPLER FAN...
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 12:58:02 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Better price/performance ratio, that's all that matters! :lol: 

:whistle: 
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 12:58:47 PM

1) Download Driver Sweeper here.
2) Download Catalyst 12.6 drivers HERE. but don't install.
3) Download CAP HERE.
4) Custom uninstall all AMD software through Control Panel, select everything and reboot.
5) Run Driver Sweeper and clean AMD drivers and reboot.
6) Re-install CCC and reboot.
7) Install the CAP profile and reboot.
8) Done and happy hunting! :) 
I know it seems like a pain but it will solve the driver problems. If not then there's an underlying problem which isn't driver related.

July 28, 2012 1:03:15 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Better price/performance ratio, that's all that matters! :lol: 


Well this 6850 is slow anyways. I think it was the correct price considering how slow it is.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
July 28, 2012 1:04:43 PM

BigMack70 said:
If you build your own PC (or even if you just upgrade one that someone else built), you're going to have to troubleshoot. Sorry - it just goes with the territory. AMD or Nvidia doesn't matter on that one. Just take a look over the forums - there's just as many people troubleshooting Nvidia related problems are there are AMD related problems.

If ATi/AMD's drivers were so stellar then there would be no need for AMD to change the way they do things, and yet they have decided to change the way they do things. Why is that?
July 28, 2012 1:17:44 PM

RussK1 said:
1) Download Driver Sweeper here.
2) Download Catalyst 12.6 drivers HERE. but don't install.
3) Download CAP HERE.
4) Custom uninstall all AMD software through Control Panel, select everything and reboot.
5) Run Driver Sweeper and clean AMD drivers and reboot.
6) Re-install CCC and reboot.
7) Install the CAP profile and reboot.
8) Done and happy hunting! :) 
I know it seems like a pain but it will solve the driver problems. If not then there's an underlying problem which isn't driver related.


Well this half way solved the problem. I now get more fps in games than with the problem. I mean i don't get large fps drops but this still isn't as good as before. I'm gonna reinstall my OS and see if that works
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 1:25:49 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Well this half way solved the problem. I now get more fps in games than with the problem. I mean i don't get large fps drops but this still isn't as good as before. I'm gonna reinstall my OS and see if that works



Did you install any new software/hardware recently? On the software side, it could be something as simple as something running in the background. Being you only have a x3 CPU and something like a resource hogging AV (like Norton) may be a problem.
July 28, 2012 1:28:45 PM

RussK1 said:
Did you install any new software/hardware recently? On the software side, it could be something as simple as something running in the background. Being you only have a x3 CPU and something like a resource hogging AV (like Norton) may be a problem.


Hell no, i don't use norton. I use NOD32. And i use game booster while playing games so it closes all unnecessary programs in the background
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 1:30:56 PM

try it without 'game booster' too.
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 1:33:53 PM

verbalizer said:
try it without 'game booster' too.


+1
July 28, 2012 1:34:12 PM

verbalizer said:
try it without 'game booster' too.


I did and get the same fps. I usually don't have unnecessary programs running
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 1:43:08 PM

Have you checked cpu usage while playing?
July 28, 2012 1:51:08 PM

RussK1 said:
Have you checked cpu usage while playing?


The cpu is bottlenecking enough as it is. The last thing i need is the GPU slowing down even more. The CPU is always around 80%
July 28, 2012 1:54:58 PM

BigMack70 said:
That's not good... could easily be why you're not seeing the performance you expect. What is your CPU?



Athlon II X3 455
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 2:19:34 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Athlon II X3 455


That cpu can be unlocked into a Phenom II x4 B55 but unfortunately your Biostar N68S3+ doesn't have UCC.

a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 2:27:34 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Athlon II X3 455


That cpu can be unlocked into a Phenom II but unfortunately your Biostar N68S3+ doesn't have UCC.

July 28, 2012 2:36:12 PM

RussK1 said:
That cpu can be unlocked into a Phenom II x4 B55 but unfortunately your Biostar N68S3+ doesn't have UCC.



Yea i know. I'm getting a new motherboard soon ( MSI 870S C45 FX V2) and i'm gonna unlock its 4th core temporarily until i get the money for a phenom II X4 965 BE
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 5:58:56 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Yea i know. I'm getting a new motherboard soon ( MSI 870S C45 FX V2) and i'm gonna unlock its 4th core temporarily until i get the money for a phenom II X4 965 BE

we went through this on your other thread.
that motherboard sux and is on the bad board list for caps.....
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ag...

I've showed you once already and I picked out the better board for you.
making 'urbz' mad....
:non: 

a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 6:02:39 PM

Mousemonkey said:
If ATi/AMD's drivers were so stellar then there would be no need for AMD to change the way they do things, and yet they have decided to change the way they do things. Why is that?


That is because AMD has more diversity in their Catalyst Control Center package for their products between integrated graphics, APUs, dedicated GPUs, mobile GPUs, professional GPUs, and chipsets. Nvidia is pretty much done with integrated graphics in the PC sector. They don't have an APU. They also have completely stopped chipset development. AMD has continued to broaden their product line in this sector while Nvidia has decided to "cut the fat." Two different strategies, two different companies. Also, keep in mind that the graphics side of AMD is what is propping them up at this moment.

All that aside, there is pretty much zero difference in the quality of AMD drivers vs Nvidia drivers in a single card configuration. If one was so much worse than the other, there would be WAY more talk about this on news sites and professional reviews. The complaints we tend to get on forums that turn into rants against one company or the other are due to one of two things: user error or fanboyism.
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 6:05:08 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
That is because AMD has more diversity in their Catalyst Control Center package for their products between integrated graphics, APUs, dedicated GPUs, mobile GPUs, professional GPUs, and chipsets. Nvidia is pretty much done with integrated graphics in the PC sector. They don't have an APU. They also have completely stopped chipset development. AMD has continued to broaden their product line in this sector while Nvidia has decided to "cut the fat." Two different strategies, two different companies. Also, keep in mind that the graphics side of AMD is what is propping them up at this moment.

All that aside, there is pretty much zero difference in the quality of AMD drivers vs Nvidia drivers in a single card configuration. If one was so much worse than the other, there would be WAY more talk about this on news sites and professional reviews. The complaints we tend to get on forums that turn into rants against one company or the other are due to one of two things: user error or fanboyism.

you sure about that.?
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 6:09:18 PM

I may have missed this, a fair few posts in this thread now, but you say you were an Nvidia guy before, Have you removed all the Nvidia drivers aswell?
July 28, 2012 6:12:59 PM

verbalizer said:
we went through this on your other thread.
that motherboard sux and is on the bad board list for caps.....
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ag...

I've showed you once already and I picked out the better board for you.
making 'urbz' mad....
:non: 


How does that board have bad capacitors? I don't see any electrolytic capacitors, only solid capacitors.
!