Laptop won't stay connected to internet

libbs004

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
My laptop was recently reset to factory settings and had the hard drive wiped, since I got it back, I can't remain connected to the internet. We have a second laptop running off the wireless that hasn't had any issue. I try to disconnect from the network and reconnect and sometimes after 2-5 attempts, I'll browse the internet for 5-45 min and then it will say it can't identify the network or that the computer is only connected locally.

Solution
Very well could be. You can run the wireless setup wizard on the laptop and set it up again to make sure it is all correct.

And to update the drivers on the wireless card they should be here:
control panel->system->device manager->network adapters

But try re-setting up the wireless connection first as that would be the easier solution.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
When they reset it to factory defaults it could have messed up some of your previous network settings. So i would check those first.

Also may want to try updating to the latest drivers for whatever network card is in the laptop. And do any Windows updates you need since all of those would be gone too.

libbs004

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Are there specific settings I should be looking for in Network Settings? As for updating drivers, the only thing I'm familiar with is running the windows updates, but I can't stay connected to the internet long enough to download all of them.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Very well could be. You can run the wireless setup wizard on the laptop and set it up again to make sure it is all correct.

And to update the drivers on the wireless card they should be here:
control panel->system->device manager->network adapters

But try re-setting up the wireless connection first as that would be the easier solution.

Solution