Cheap PSU or DoA GPU?

iwantmyid

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
i've fitted a new GTX660 into my pc and it will not boot now, unplugging the GPU make it all work but the psu doesn't have a 6pin plug so i'm using the adapter to connect the molex which also run to the DVD and the HD.

The GTX 660 states

Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amps.)
Total Power Draw : 140 Watts

and my PSU states

550Watts
Meets Intel v2.03 enhanced +12V
Over-voltage and current protection +3.3V;+5V;+12V
+3.3V 20A; +5V 32A; +12V 32A; -12V 0.5A; +5VSB 2.0A

So it should be able to power it but I assume its not..is this correct?

Anyone

thanks

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Here's a thing about power supplies, its not about how much Wattage it as, its all about the quality and how it can perform while powering everything. Its pretty much the most important component to a PC. Do you know the make and model of your power supply ? And before RMAing the card assuming that its under warranty I would try another PSU and rule out that it could possibly be a problem with the power.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
To me it sounds like your PSU can't handle the GPU. This could be because your PSU isn't any good or it could be because there's a short in the GPU. Since the GPU is new and you indicate that your PSU is cheap, I bet it's the problem.

Does it not even try to boot for 1 second? If the power button does exactly nothing I would suspect a short circuit as the graphics card noy being under load would use hardly any power. Try starting the PC without the card but with the molex adapter still attached to rule out any problems there.

iwantmyid

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
I have a OCZ SW550W 80Bronze coming tomorrow so I'll try it and see what happens.

My current PSU was a stop gap until i bought a better GPU so £12 for a ...Alpine...branded 550W will be my spare

lol

thanks and I'll let you know what happens with a better psu tomorrow.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Ok, thats what it sounds like it is, like I said its not all about the wattage, its about the quality.