Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need some help. New build with old parts

Last response: in Systems
September 15, 2012 9:50:15 PM

Ok so I bought a Cyber power PC about a year and a half ago. I have since upgraded that same PC to brand new parts. Nothing in the original is from Cyber power. I had all these year old parts laying around so I decided to use an old computer case and put the parts to use.

As of now I just have the Motherboard and PSU hooked up but I can't get it to turn on. I try the power button and I have tried to short the pins. It won't turn on! The light on the motherboard is on and the PSU is working. But when I try to power it nothing happens. Does anyone know what the problem may be?

More about : build parts

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 10:14:12 PM

Do you have a cpu and RAM installed?
m
l
September 15, 2012 10:16:08 PM

crewton said:
Do you have a cpu and RAM installed?

Yeah I didn't specify much.
I have all the parts but since I am having problem the only thing installed is the mobo, PSU, CPU, and RAM.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 10:24:26 PM

Do you have it in a case or outside? If in a case make sure you don't have any extra standoffs or make sure you actually have standoffs between the mobo and case. Check the power/reset/hdd/led hook ups and make sure they are installed correctly and their polarity is the right way. Try it with just one stick of RAM at a time. There is a whole list someone on Tom's for what to do but that is a good start at least.
m
l
September 15, 2012 10:45:50 PM

crewton said:
Do you have it in a case or outside? If in a case make sure you don't have any extra standoffs or make sure you actually have standoffs between the mobo and case. Check the power/reset/hdd/led hook ups and make sure they are installed correctly and their polarity is the right way. Try it with just one stick of RAM at a time. There is a whole list someone on Tom's for what to do but that is a good start at least.

The old case I am using has built in Stand offs. Is that a problem? Also the button I am using isn't one with the separated power/reset/hdd/led hook ups. It is a VERY old case/button.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 10:49:26 PM

Ah, are there some of the standoffs that don't align with the screw holes from the motherboard? If so those standoffs are shorting out your motherboard.
September 15, 2012 10:51:45 PM

crewton said:
Ah, are there some of the standoffs that don't align with the screw holes from the motherboard? If so those standoffs are shorting out your motherboard.

I will take it out of the case to see if it works! Thanks for the help! I appreciate the quick replies. I'll update in about 10 minutes.
m
l
September 15, 2012 10:59:18 PM

Holy crap... I can't believe that was the problem.... Is there any way I could give you some sort of rep or something? You just saved me so much money and stress.
m
l
September 15, 2012 10:59:52 PM

Best answer selected by Kyle772.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 11:05:06 PM

Hehe, glad I could help.
m
l