Need some help. New build with old parts

Kyle772

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Ok so I bought a Cyber power PC about a year and a half ago. I have since upgraded that same PC to brand new parts. Nothing in the original is from Cyber power. I had all these year old parts laying around so I decided to use an old computer case and put the parts to use.

As of now I just have the Motherboard and PSU hooked up but I can't get it to turn on. I try the power button and I have tried to short the pins. It won't turn on! The light on the motherboard is on and the PSU is working. But when I try to power it nothing happens. Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Solution
Ah, are there some of the standoffs that don't align with the screw holes from the motherboard? If so those standoffs are shorting out your motherboard.

Kyle772

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

Yeah I didn't specify much.
I have all the parts but since I am having problem the only thing installed is the mobo, PSU, CPU, and RAM.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Do you have it in a case or outside? If in a case make sure you don't have any extra standoffs or make sure you actually have standoffs between the mobo and case. Check the power/reset/hdd/led hook ups and make sure they are installed correctly and their polarity is the right way. Try it with just one stick of RAM at a time. There is a whole list someone on Tom's for what to do but that is a good start at least.

Kyle772

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

The old case I am using has built in Stand offs. Is that a problem? Also the button I am using isn't one with the separated power/reset/hdd/led hook ups. It is a VERY old case/button.

Kyle772

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

I will take it out of the case to see if it works! Thanks for the help! I appreciate the quick replies. I'll update in about 10 minutes.

Kyle772

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Holy crap... I can't believe that was the problem.... Is there any way I could give you some sort of rep or something? You just saved me so much money and stress.