corrupted CRW after copying to MAC with Dazzle card reader

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 24, 2005 2:20:30 PM

I have a bunch of CRW files corrupted after copying to MAC OS. the
files can be opened but they show lines break, distortion or are
completely black.

I've tried:

- recovering the original crw from the memory card: failed since I
overwrite the card many times with other photos.

- copying back from MAC os to card and read with PC: failed. since they
are corrupted in the mac, the mac copy corrupted files back to the
card.

any ideas ?
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 5:02:26 PM

>I have a bunch of CRW files corrupted after copying to MAC OS. the
>files can be opened but they show lines break, distortion or are
>completely black
>
>any ideas ?

I had this happen once with .CRW files, many of the thumbnails in the
RAW converter I was using showed similar to what you describe and
converted files showed the same thing. Turns out the problem occured
when the thumbnails were being generated and by deleting all the thumbs
and regenerating them the problem went away (this was with an early
version of Capture One, I think 1.3.1 or so). Do you have access to
more than one RAW converter? If so, maybe try opening the files in a
second converter and see if this was the problem.

>- recovering the original crw from the memory card: failed since
>I overwrite the card many times with other photos.

Now I never overwrite or even re-format a card until after opening the
files in a RAW converter and seeing they are OK, then making a second
copy on a backup disk before reformatting the CF card. But I had to
learn this the hard way too :)

Bill
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 7:11:40 PM

Ray Fischer wrote:
> <gaschurman@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >I have a bunch of CRW files corrupted after copying to MAC OS. the
> >files can be opened but they show lines break, distortion or are
> >completely black.
>
> Tsk. Bad. Hope it isn't a failing hard disk.

hard disk is fine

> >I've tried:
> >
> >- recovering the original crw from the memory card: failed since I
> >overwrite the card many times with other photos.
>
> Always check the photos AND make a backup before you erase the card.

I did check the photos and they were bad, but since was my first time
downloading photos with tiger I thought it was related with software
but files were ok. (I never experienced something like this a card
reader modifying the files without telling you there's a problem)

> >- copying back from MAC os to card and read with PC: failed. since they
> >are corrupted in the mac, the mac copy corrupted files back to the
> >card.
> >
> >any ideas ?
>
> Learn from your mistakes.

yes I did one more time !

> --
> Ray Fischer
> rfischer@sonic.net
September 24, 2005 7:15:20 PM

I opened with several converters, same thing.
I tried deleting the thm , but still crw is bad.

I just did a test at home, I took a picture and copy the CRW to my mac
and then to my PC.
put the 2 files in the PC and compared with ultraedit in binary mode.
the 2 files have the same header, footer but differ in the middle (not
everything just pieces)

who knows ... maybe somebody will write an algorithm that will fix this
problem but as far as I know I'm the only stupid with this problem.

gustavo.
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 11:40:37 PM

<gaschurman@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have a bunch of CRW files corrupted after copying to MAC OS. the
>files can be opened but they show lines break, distortion or are
>completely black.

Tsk. Bad. Hope it isn't a failing hard disk.

>I've tried:
>
>- recovering the original crw from the memory card: failed since I
>overwrite the card many times with other photos.

Always check the photos AND make a backup before you erase the card.

>- copying back from MAC os to card and read with PC: failed. since they
>are corrupted in the mac, the mac copy corrupted files back to the
>card.
>
>any ideas ?

Learn from your mistakes.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net

On 24 Sep 2005 13:02:26 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Bill Hilton"
<bhilton665@aol.com> wrote:

>>I have a bunch of CRW files corrupted after copying to MAC OS. the
>>files can be opened but they show lines break, distortion or are
>>completely black
>>
>>any ideas ?
>
>I had this happen once with .CRW files, many of the thumbnails in the
>RAW converter I was using showed similar to what you describe and
>converted files showed the same thing. Turns out the problem occured
>when the thumbnails were being generated and by deleting all the thumbs
>and regenerating them the problem went away (this was with an early
>version of Capture One, I think 1.3.1 or so). Do you have access to
>more than one RAW converter? If so, maybe try opening the files in a
>second converter and see if this was the problem.

I wish that was the case for me. Came back from vacation last month to find
~20% of my NEF files were corrupted upon transfer from CF to my Archos
Gmini 220. Initially I found this by the thumbnails in RSE, but found
problems with them and even a few others in Caption and PSE3.

>Now I never overwrite or even re-format a card until after opening the
>files in a RAW converter and seeing they are OK, then making a second
>copy on a backup disk before reformatting the CF card. But I had to
>learn this the hard way too :)

But that then requires you to have enough storage for a full day's shooting
and always have a laptop with you.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
September 25, 2005 10:04:17 AM

On 24 Sep 2005 15:15:20 -0700, in rec.photo.digital gaschurman@yahoo.com
wrote:

>I opened with several converters, same thing.
>I tried deleting the thm , but still crw is bad.
>
>I just did a test at home, I took a picture and copy the CRW to my mac
>and then to my PC.
>put the 2 files in the PC and compared with ultraedit in binary mode.
>the 2 files have the same header, footer but differ in the middle (not
>everything just pieces)
>
>who knows ... maybe somebody will write an algorithm that will fix this
>problem but as far as I know I'm the only stupid with this problem.

Sounds like the Mac has issues with the reader. Either deal with tech
support of ditch it for another.

FWIW, you can see my other reply to Bill, which shows you're not the only
one to lose files.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
September 25, 2005 2:24:21 PM

Ed Ruf wrote:
[]
> But that then requires you to have enough storage for a full day's
> shooting and always have a laptop with you.

Well, although I don't take a laptop, I do take enough memory for a full
trip. This may mean up to 10GB of memory cards, as I shoot JPEG rather
than raw (to reduce file size and post-processing time and effort). I've
always done this, rather than rely on a storage device, although now I
have access to a shared Epson P-2000 with 40GB of storage which I do use
as a daily backup.

Just the way I do things!

David
!