Quiet Video Card for HTPC

janteby

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Hello

I need to buy a Video Card for my HTPC....

- I will only be usig this PC for DVD & Blu-Ray playback (no gaming, editing, etc), so I dont need that much horsepower
- PCI Express
- at least 1 HDMI output
- Quiet fan, I dont want to go fanless as the case I have is small so will get hot.
- only takes up 1 slot
- Ideally <50.00, I dont care if it is used or refurbished, so anything on Ebay would be fine, if someone has one to sell

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

janteby

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Thank you for your reply

I looked in NewEgg & most of the 5000 series are fanless, which I dont want to get. There are a couple that have small fans, but since they are small are they loud ?

Thank you

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I havent purchased any of the lower end cards recently but usually those fans are pretty silent. On most you will be able to control the speed with the catalyst control centre.

Are you playing 3d blurays? Link through some of the cards you were looking at.

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Btw, the 6xxx cards take alot more stress off the CPU when decoding blu ray, helping to reduce heat build up in the system. Tbh I think you'd be safe enough with a fanless 6450 if your case can take Standard profile cards. Read the reviews on New Egg, should give you an idea on noise levels if you do get one with a fan.

popatim

Titan
The integrated GPU if you have one will handle those functions just fine.
My livingroom htpc has a Radeon hd4250 integrated into the motherbd and the bedroom htpc uses the integrated hd3000 (not affiliated with radeon or ati) of the i3-2105.

Intels Ivy bridge cpu's feature the hd4000 gpu which is alot better than both but I have had absolutely no problems even with the old 4250 in the living room.

I have a fanless gt520 on standby should either of them fail.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125407

you can also get a fanless gt610 but If ir remeber right, its just a rebadged 520.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125427