Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezes with buzzing then recovers

Last response: in Components
January 29, 2013 11:41:48 PM

I've been having a problem with my computer for roughly a year now and I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out the cause of it.

The issue is my computer completely freezes with a loud buzzing almost strictly when I have some sort of video playing (youtube video, stream, game). But it has under very rare occasions frozen with nothing playing. Often times the nature of the buzzing is accompanied by the sound that was being played in a distorted slow motion. Another thing to note is that it ALWAYS recovers. Sometimes after 30 seconds, other times 3-4 minutes. The more video I have playing at a time massively increases the likelihood of a freeze. Some days it seems to be worse, happening 10-15 times, other days just a few.

My first thought was a heat problem, I had a relatively small tower with a large PSU put in it and no exhaust fan. So I went out and bought an exhaust fan and even tried aiming another small external fan of mine to try and blow away some of the hot air. It lowered the temperatures by a little, but the thing is even when the temps are in a safe range it still freezes. I have my PC on a desk placed toward the back corner of a room if that has any relevance.

My video drivers are up to date and I've even swapped my graphics card with another, fully functional one, and the freezing still occurs. I've also run memtest on each individual stick and had 0 errors.

Just yesterday I took my PC to a friends place planning on swapping parts with his computer until we could hopefully isolate what was causing the issue. the first thing we tried was using his PSU on my computer, the result of this seemed to have fixed the problem completely. I ran as many videos as I could find for hours on end and not a single freeze occurred. But here's the thing, when I put MY PSU back in, I still couldn't induce a freeze! I stressed it the same way with no complications, which is unheard of. That same night when I brought my computer back to my residence, the freezing immediately started like usual! So then I was thinking bad outlet, and tried the other across the room but to no avail. Should I try plugging in on a completely different level of the house. or am I just wasting my time?

Please help :( 
January 30, 2013 12:15:16 AM

Do you have a specific codec pack installed e.g. K-Lite... ect...? as this sounds like a problem with codecs conflicting.
If you have got extra codecs installed, try un-installing them to see if that fixes the problem.
m
l
January 30, 2013 11:03:35 PM

Rusty1983 said:
Do you have a specific codec pack installed e.g. K-Lite... ect...? as this sounds like a problem with codecs conflicting.
If you have got extra codecs installed, try un-installing them to see if that fixes the problem.

I just uninstalled X-vid codec. Now I haven't had a freeze yet but it hasn't been very long. Also, I took a screenshot of my codecs because I'm not sure which ones should or shouldn't be on there.

http://imgur.com/YTxfGO9
m
l
May 13, 2013 9:04:15 AM

John-Paul said:
Rusty1983 said:

I just uninstalled X-vid codec. Now I haven't had a freeze yet but it hasn't been very long. Also, I took a screenshot of my codecs because I'm not sure which ones should or shouldn't be on there.

http://imgur.com/YTxfGO9

Hi John-Paul, any luck with your codecs fixing your freezing issue??? im currently experiencing the exact same issues myself. contemplating replacing motherboard or other gpu/cpu hardware?...

PC Specs:
- i7 2700k CPU
- Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen 3 Motherboard (never overclocked)
- Cooling Corsair hydro H80 CPU cooler ( system temps all seem fine)
- GTX 590 GPU (tried all nvidia gpu drivers but freezing issue persisting)
- Primary hard disk: intel 520s 240gb SSD
- secondary hdd: WD 1TB Caviar Blue
- RAM Corsair 16gb Vengeance
- PSU Corsair AX-1200w Modular power supply
- Windows 7 home premium 64bit

m
l
!