Fx 8350 + VMWare > i5 3570k + VMWare correct? Lol.

JLawL

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Unless I'm the fool...I have what is obviously a dumb friend arguing with me over this, so I'm just going to post this to verify.

I won't say what I do with them, but I often run between 6 - 10 VMWare virtual machines on my PC, basically until my memory and processor are capped. I've come across a cheap 8350 cpu and am going to build a second computer.

My friend is of the opinion that the i5 will still be more capable when it comes to running multiple machines, even though it is only using 4 cores instead of the 8 from the 8350.

The i5 I have now has 16 gigs of ram.

The 8350 I will soon have will have 32 gigs of ram, which I realize would be totally unnecessary were I not using so many VMs.

Anyway, someone please tell my friend I'm right. Or tell me I'm a clown and that I'm wrong lol. Either way works for me.

drinvis

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Fx8350 would be better for running multiple VMs simulataneously.Even though per-core perfromance of fx8350 is significantly lower than in case of i5 3570k,still more number of cores would be better for handling more VMs at a time.With i5 3570k there would be more time wasted in context switching as it would need to save the states and registers of one VM whenever it switches to another VM as and when the system runs out of the cores while running multiple VMs.i5 3570k lacks VT-d.
I would say for running multiple VMs simultaneously definitely fx8350 would be better.More cores gives more flexibilty in core assignment.

crazypotato

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
hey, may i ask what are you using so many vms for? Because unless you are running a server, that many VMs is unrealistic, could you tell me what are you running on the vms? And I would recommend an i7

op happen to come across the 9350 for cheap meaning hes probably getting a deal or getting it used for cheap, compared to the i7 which is significantly more expensive.(as well as the fact that intel boards tend to cost more per feature as well)